1200 calories?

Options
2»

Replies

• Aviva92
    Aviva92 Posts: 2,333 Member
    Options
    today I ate 1400 calories because i ate back my exercise calories. i don't usually do that, but was hungry.
  • lovinmomma
    Options
    Figure out what your BMR is. NEVER eat or NET under this because your body needs this to maintain organs!!!! I am 5'4 146lbs my BMR is 1480 so i never net under this, this might mean eating 1500 or eatting 1900 depending on who intense of a work out I did but I didnt lose a pound till i ate more! I would never suggest 1200 calories! far to low try this calculator http://www.fitnessfrog.com/calculators/bmr-calculator.html
  • lovinmomma
    Options
    what i do at 1200 calories: punch random people in the face and otherwise be generally moody.

what i do at TDEE: be awesome.
    hahahaha awesome
  • Sarah_Wins
    Sarah_Wins Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    what i do at 1200 calories: punch random people in the face and otherwise be generally moody.

what i do at TDEE: be awesome.

Yes, you are, my friend. :flowerforyou:
  • yvonneW1964
    yvonneW1964 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Figure out what your BMR is. NEVER eat or NET under this because your body needs this to maintain organs!!!! I am 5'4 146lbs my BMR is 1480 so i never net under this, this might mean eating 1500 or eatting 1900 depending on who intense of a work out I did but I didnt lose a pound till i ate more! I would never suggest 1200 calories! far to low try this calculator http://www.fitnessfrog.com/calculators/bmr-calculator.html
    [/quote
    I did the 1200 claories for about 3 months and didn't move much, I more or less ate back my excercise cals. I'm quite active as traning for an endurance event so redid my goals and am now on 1427 found in first week got down with weight, next weigh in will tell if loss is a trend due to eating more.
  • phildawson75
    phildawson75 Posts: 205 Member
    Options

I don't know who told you this or where you read it about never eating under your BMR but its not accurate.

Your body has stored energy ie fat. If you eat less then more will be taken from it. Not many people's BMR are 1200 or below.

My BMR is ~1600. I'm 5.7 / 140 lbs and just finishing 12 weeks at a 1200 cal net. Lost 2.5 lbs a week on avg.
  • sladams8
    sladams8 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hey there!!
    You need to find a happy medium for youself as too many calories you wont lose weight, but too few calories and your body can enter 'starvation mode' and will store fats as a safety mechanism.

My original BMR was 2040 cals per day but when I decided it was time for a change I began a 1200 calorie diet and joined a gym.
    I am very strict about keeping my intake below 1300 calories per day (its hard to be exactly 1200) and burn a minimum of 550 calories per day.
    I have now lost 6kg in 5 weeks and feeling good.
    I have tried so many different diets and never seem to last longer than a few days. I am a Mother of 2 and since having my babies Ive found that my metabolism as slowed down severely.

Just remember....anything less than 120 calories and you may deprive your body of the nutrients it nees to survive!!!
    All the best!!
  • oosaah
    oosaah Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I eat at 1200, I'm 5 foot 6 and 61kgs
  • BabyJago
    BabyJago Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I try to stick to 1200, but it's hard to be exact - some days I'm a little under and some days I'm a bit over. I am doing this to maintain my weight and the tracking has shown me where my pitfalls are, i.e. if I have a day that meets my calorie goal but is higher in sodium, my weight will go temporarily go up. On days when I can't work out at all, I am diligent about sticking to the 1200.

I totally believe in exercise and have been working out regularly for 20 years, but find that counting calories and using a food diary such as MFP is more helpful if my focus is weight loss. I think we tend to overestimate how effective our exercise activities are, which may result in us eating more...

I've been using MFP for two months and my weight has stayed within the same two pound range, with or without working out.

One approach I've used is to multiply my ideal or goal weight by 10 to give me a baseline of how many calories I should be taking in. If I'm exercising, I multiply the ideal or goal weight by 13, which is the factor for moderate exercise. Even if I'm working out 7 days a week, I under-rate my exercise efforts and rate them as moderate. As an example, if you weight 160, but want to weigh 130, you should eat 1300 calories a day on the days you do not exercise, but you can eat 1690 (130 x 13) on the days you engage in moderate exercise (i.e. 30-45 minutes of walking outside, walking on the treadmill, riding a stationary bike, etc.). Always tie your intake to your goal weight.

I hope that helps. I am in my early 50's and just want to maintain my weight. The older you get, the more challenging it is! Good luck!
  • tequilasunris3
    Options
    I'm 5'3 and I eat 1600-1900 cals a day.
  • mprezn
    mprezn Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    im also 5'4 and on 1200 calories a day but I havn't seen any results and ive been on this for almost a year. I dont know exactly what im doing wrong. I assume im eating the wrong foods altho i have been exercising (less now coz im losing motivation).
    Anyone know what i should do?
  • TjDee
    TjDee Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    What kind of food are you eating. whole foods? Fruit, veggies, lean meats, nuts, good fats? If you eat like this you should probably lose. Make sure you are eating food that will nourish the body, not processed stuff.