Oatmeal...

Options
13»

Replies

• obsidianwings
    obsidianwings Posts: 1,237 Member
    Options
    I don't see why you would need to replace two meals a day with it! However for breakfast I like it rolled oats made up with 1 part oats to 2 parts water, then after cooking I stir through a little honey, some fruit flavoured greek yoghurt and some kind of frozen berries. Its pretty good.
  • kitchensync
    kitchensync Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Try the steel cut oats, the texture is way better than the mushy flakes. I add a scoop of chocolate protein powder instead of milk and sugar, it's awesome!
  • Panda_1999
    Panda_1999 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    I too, like the longer cooking versions (1-5min.) Added fruit is nice, but I don't always have it on hand. Some cinnamon or nutmeg for seasoning and molasses for sweetness and potassium.
  • kenazfehu
    kenazfehu Posts: 1,188 Member
    Options
    I like the old fashioned oats; they have much better texture than quick oats.

I like them with 1/2-1 tablespoon of peanut butter and 1/2-1 teaspoon of brown sugar, also raisins if I have enough calories available.
  • EndlessSacrifice
    Options
    You should never force yourself to eat something you hate. If you've tried it several times, and you find that you still dislike it, move on and find something else to eat.

However, if you want to try it again, maybe you could mix the oatmeal with peanut butter, honey and bananas or chopped apples, cinnamon, and honey.
  • KS_4691
    KS_4691 Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    That's really bizarre advice...
  • Cathleenr
    Options
    Hi my name is Lisa! I am a very picky eater. One thing I have a hard time eating is oatmeal! When I had a personal trainer he told me to try replacing one meal with oatmeal a day then up it to 2x a day. It helps you lean up faster. I however absolutely hate oatmeal! Is there anyway to make oatmeal a more tasteful and desirable meal? I am not a fan of the texture or taste :( any suggestions would be helpful!

lol i love how people morph the op into 1 otameal -meal A DAY.
    oats are a good source of complex carbohydrates, critical for replenishing glycogen after hard weight training. Sounds like he wants to up your carbs with something that is relatively low calorie yet filling. OK advice, depending on what the rest of your nutrition looks like and the kind of training you are doing.
    before you post here asking for advice on what a trainer asked you to do, ask them the reason for the source of the carbs and if they have any preference for substitutions.....quinoa, rice and potatoes are all good choices for complex carbohydrates. adding in a lot of sweeteners and fruits, whether they are natural substitutes or not might have other cconsequences, such as impeding or promoting your insulin responses or throwing off your macros.
    ask your trainer why they have you on this nutritional plan. if they don't have a personalized reason for the kinds of foods they say they want you to eat, or your strength program can't be supported by what you eat, then you do need to find a trainer who is more knowledgeable about supporting your goals.
  • gsbrooks1
    Options
    Bump
  • EnchantedEvening
    EnchantedEvening Posts: 671 Member
    Options
    (100) calories of instant oatmeal
    (50) calories half of a mashed banana
    (90) one table spoon of peanut butter
    (40) cup of 40 calorie unsweetened almond milk
    half a packet of splenda u stole from ihop
    a sprinkle of salt

cook for 3 min = 280 calories of OMFG amazing

Yummy!

The IHOP bit made me laugh. :-D
  • Crisitunity
    Crisitunity Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    http://ohsheglows.com/categories/recipes-2/breakfast/vegan-overnight-oats/

Most of the time though I cook my rolled oats with water in the microwave. I like to add a bit of soy milk and 1tbsp chocolate chips! The chocolate melts and the whole bowl gets chocolatey, mmmmm. Another vote for adding shredded coconut also.
  • AntWrig
    AntWrig Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NPAKGgigxJg

That is the ONLY way I eat oatmeal now. Oh and how does oatmeal "make you lean up faster"?
  • kcatlin9
    kcatlin9 Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    Add dry oatmeal to your favorite smoothie. I do it all the time. http://www.livestrong.com/article/542083-nutrition-facts-on-dry-vs-cooked-oatmeal/