10 steps to get you started on the road to fitness!

Options
1. You are awesome!  YOU made the decision to do something.  Your something may be entirely different than mine.  Who cares! The # 1 thing you need to recognize is that you are here because you made that choice!  From now on, you will make many choices. Remember THIS choice.  Stay focused on THIS CHOICE!
2. Look in the mirror.  You see that person.  Tell that person that no matter what, no matter how many times you fall down, no matter how long it takes, you will not quit.  I mean it. Make that promise to you. Because the person that made that decision in #1 deserves your commitment for being brave and strong enough to do so.  
3. Take a picture now...today, this week.  A full body picture.  Take several. You don't have to show them to anybody.  I promise you, you will be sorely disappointed if you don't force yourself take some pictures now.  When the bad days come, and they will; you will need these pictures to remind you, motivate you, and quite possibly...motivate others. Don't believe me?  Go look at the success stories and come back and tell me that those people's stories don't help inspire you to reach for your goals.  That will be you one day.  Yes...YOU!
4. Get a new digital scale that measures in .02 lb or kg increments. Get a GOOD one.  An accurate scale that doesn't fluctuate will help keep your tracking honest and true.  This is very important for your mental well being.  A few words about Scales. They are NOT the ONLY measurement of progress.  But few would disagree that when the number on the scale goes down, they don't feel pleased.  Hate the scale?  So did I.  Notice I said DID.  
5. Get a measuring tape and take HONEST measurements.  At a minimum measure your neck, your bust/chest, waist, and hips. I don't care how big those numbers are...Write them down.  When the measurement in #4 is not cooperating to your expectations, keeping track with a measuring tape just might show a different story.  
6. Exercise.  Yeah, I said it.  Can you lose weight without exercise?  Absolutely!  I have!  I bet you have too at one time or another.  So why do you need to exercise? You know why.  Remember #1?  That person is ready to do something.  You will have a really hard and much longer road ahead of you if you refuse to exercise.  How much?  I can't tell you that.  My something is different than yours. My body is different, my fitness level is different.  What I can tell you is that it doesn't have to be a triathlon! Just move!  Walk,Skip, Do big arm circles, bike, step, dance, garden, mow, jog, swim, ski...do something.  You need to get your heart rate up.  Try to do it for at least 20 mins.  Try to do it 3 times a week.  You might find it interesting to note that FOOD is the most widely abused anti-anxiety drug in America. EXERCISE is the most potent and under-utilized antidepressant...nothing will heal your blues like exercise.
7. Make goals.  If you don't make a goal, you have nothing to aim at.  Avoid unrealistic goals. "I will lose 100lbs in a month!" is an obviously unrealistic goal.  "I will lose 100 lbs!", IS a realistic goal.  So long as you follow #2.   Make long range goals AND short range goals.  "I will do an activity that gets my heart rate up for 20 mins today" is a realistic short range goal. 
8. Share your goal.  If you share your goal with others, it is a mental commitment to achieve that goal.  I promise you, people here will CHEER you on as you work towards your goals.  It is very rewarding to watch each other attain personal achievements they never thought possible.  You will cherish the feeling of setting a tough but realistic goal and then attaining it.  
9. Encourage others!  We all need a little pick me up now and again.  Feeling down?  Feel like giving up?  I promise you, there is someone here worse off than you.  They have a longer road a head of them. They have more ailments, more whatever.  Encourage them!  They need you as much as you need them.  
10. Log.  Log everything.  Food, water, alcohol, soda, exercise, log it all! If you don't log you have no way to go back and evaluate trends.  What triggers you?  What foods are you eating more of? What could you change to help improve?  Self reflection on your eating habits is essential if you are to have long term success.  Will you have to log for ever?  I don't know.  I might have to.  You?  Maybe not.  The important thing is to be fanatical about it.  Get a smart phone and down load the MFP app.   The bar scanner is a huge time saver!  And if you have your smart phone, you have NO EXCUSE to not log everything you do.

This is by no means an all inclusive list of things to do, but if you do them, you will be well on your way! You CAN DO IT!

Replies

• healthyformeanMona
    healthyformeanMona Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    I am so glad I stayed up a bit extra tonight! This is a really good list, many I did not think of to do. My favorite: food is most over-used anti-anxiety drug (which does a poor job by the way), and exercise is vastly under-used depression medication. The other thing I like is tracking everything to identify patterns and triggers. Thanks again dirtystacks, I plan on implementing some of your treasures.
  • DirtyStacks
    DirtyStacks Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    My favorite: food is most over-used anti-anxiety drug (which does a poor job by the way), and exercise is vastly under-used depression medication.

Oh thanks, but I should clarify that it isn't my original quote. Actually, I'm not sure wear I saw it. A facebook motivational poster I think. It struck a chord with me I guess.
  • trishtrish84
    trishtrish84 Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    This is great advice for anyone.
    This should be a sticky post.
  • hendinerik
    hendinerik Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    Bump! Great list, dirtystacks.
    I already kind of regret not taking pictures when I started.

There's a great book, "What you say when you talk to yourself" and your list reminds me of some of what is the message in that book - except that has to do with self talk. My mantra has been "I take excellent care of my mind, my body and my health" and a host of other simple statements I tell myself frequently, even when I have "gone off" a bit. It's amazing what the brain accepts as truth, and our ability to reprogram ourselves.

Upon my request, my nutritionist measured my body fat percentage via calipers and that was great feedback for me. I plan to do that every couple of months.

Way to encourage people!

Goals are huge - and the little ones keep me looking forward to something. Great reminder
  • hendinerik
    hendinerik Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    And amazing job on the 100lb loss!
  • BelindaDuvessa
    BelindaDuvessa Posts: 1,014 Member
    Options
    Thank you. I needed this
  • Breadbar
    Breadbar Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    You break the job at hand down into clear steps that even I can follow, removing the clutter of excuses. Just as there's no crying in baseball, there should be no whining in MFP. Here is the road map, get going! Thanks for showing the way!
  • Garden0f
    Options
    Good set of tips for a newbie! Thnx!
  • ARTBUCK
    Options
    Great post!!! I need to take notes and post them everywhere as a REMINDER!!! Thank you.
  • moraldd
    moraldd Posts: 99
    Options
    HEAR! HEAR! 2 thumbs up.
  • LButterfly201
    Options
    Best post ♥
  • LauriePar
    LauriePar Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Wonderful post and great encouragement for all of us! Congratulations on your 100lb loss! Wow! What an achievement! How has your weight loss changed your life?
  • IzzyBmydog
    IzzyBmydog Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Dirty- thank you for this. I needed it today especially.
  • mandyabraio
    mandyabraio Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Thank you...I sure needed to read this. I think I am going to copy and paste it into a word document so I can find it easily and read on days I feel like giving up. THANK YOU!!!!
  • jily310
    jily310 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Great post! Wish I would have taken a full body pic in the beginning!
  • spinachsmoothies
    Options
    Awesome - I think this one is a printer!
  • gbemski
    Options
    Amazing post thankyou so much!!

Huge congratulations for the 100lb weight loss that's epic - proof to us all that hard work pays off!

x
  • blascott
    Options
    Great Advice!
  • janet0101
    janet0101 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Great post! I needed it. Thanks!
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    What a great list. I have some goals and some that I regret not doing. I don't have a full length mirror and I do regret not taking pictures at the beginning. I do have an exercise goal each day and have just joined a gym which I have a goal of three or four days a week attendance.

I have made friends on MFP and they are really helpful both giving and getting comments.