I exercise twice a day, is it safe?

Options
2»

Replies

• Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    unless you get hit by a car, or a train, or hit by lightening, why wouldn't it be safe?
  • gjulie
    gjulie Posts: 391
    Options
    I would do much the same amount of time in the morning I vary my exercises with strength training and swimming but in same time frame I would love to be able to repeat this in the evening again but due to other commitments I cant,keep up the good work Id say you are doing just fine!
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Add some strength training to your routine
  • Heather_Rider
    Heather_Rider Posts: 1,159 Member
    Options
    @sarahqt2012 : LOL! Thanks.
    @kmorganlfc: Thanks
    @Sasha198: I think i'll start with the sprints in the middle of my journey because i'm very very heavy to do sprints, i'll just walk and jog until i loose at least 10kg's and then i'll race you :P
    @keith_lemon: I totally agree with you, btw you need to to teach me how you lost 41Kg !! WOW :))

"because im very very heavy" is an excuse. i was also very very heavy. i started out running 5 minutes per day. i worked my way up each day. after 90- days, i can run 5 miles, and ive gone from a size 20 to a size 14. NO EXCUSES!!!!!

(i even have half of a lung and didnt use that as an excuse! jUST KEEP MOVING!! thats the most important thing!
  • pinkraynedropjacki
    pinkraynedropjacki Posts: 3,027 Member
    Options
    I'll run for 10km (1 hour normally) and then still do a workout at home later that day for about 30 mins or so. Nothing wrong with it at all.
  • gazz777au
    gazz777au Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    It's fine. That is not what the fitness police look out for.

You'll do ok.

Go for gold !
  • loopingcaterpillar
    loopingcaterpillar Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    keith_lemon: Great reply, thanks man.
    smanda65: i wasn't clear in my question that's my fault, i live in the kingdom of Bahrain, a country in the middle east, the temperature here rises to 50c and i'm exercising outdoor and doing other exercises as well, that's why i asked this question.

i have a friend from bahrain, i hear its not always safe heat or not! drink lots of water and be careful at the hottest times of day, if you feel unwell go hide somewhere cool.
  • smanda65
    smanda65 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    keith_lemon: Great reply, thanks man.
    smanda65: i wasn't clear in my question that's my fault, i live in the kingdom of Bahrain, a country in the middle east, the temperature here rises to 50c and i'm exercising outdoor and doing other exercises as well, that's why i asked this question.

I travel to Dubai and Abu dhabi a fair bit as my partner is currently working in Saudi Arabia, so I was aware of the outside conditions. I was pointing out that is a shame that some folks who should know better are sarcastic.

There are plenty who will give you the advice you need, but it does help to give a fuller picture. Have you been fasting, exercise (heavy sweating) and then not being able to drink probably isn't a great idea!
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    Avoid the hottest part of the days, try to stay out of the sun for extended periods, drink enough water.
    Listen to your body, there is soreness which is ok and pain which is telling you to stop and do things differently.

If you add a little each day you do great.

When I was in Dubai, running outside on a hot day was extremely difficult. Think about getting access to gym or doing some indoor cardio.
  • MarlinWil
    MarlinWil Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    You have gotten so much great advice, and a couple of funny tongue-in-cheeks. I think you are doing the right thing. It makes sense to ease into things when you are getting the feel for exercise. Before you know it, you will be increasing the length of time that you run, and decreasing your walk time. That's when it starts getting exciting. Any type of movement is positive - better than sitting on the couch - and for sure you are starting sensibly.

Think about adding some conditioning routines. Every second day you could incorporate some squats (will increase your leg strength and stamina), some pushups, step-ups, lunges, crunches, planks to begin with. These are great basics to start to get used to. They will improve your core, strengthen and build your muscles, and give you sustained increase in your metabolism. This site gives so much information and so many different stories that incorporate exercise routines that you can easily start to get familiar with. Check out some of the monthly challenges - you will be surprised at how you perform, and also at what you learn about your own body.

I haven't checked out your profile, but I am assuming (from what you have said so far in this thread) that you have a fair way to go. Certainly the profile picture you have doesn't seem to show that you have a huge lot to lose, but it is definitely a mindset. MFP is an incredible site to learn from - congratulations on being here, and on what you are going to gain from it. Please check out this BMA link - http://www.bmi-calculator.net/bmr-calculator/bmr-formula.php/. I am so grateful for the tools that MFP has provided me with (not least of which the friends that I have met and who encourage me each and every day), but the daily calorie recommendation is unrealistic. I started off following that, but since then I have switched to eating my BMR each day (the amount of calories that you need to burn just to survive each day), and have clocked in a great consistent loss each and every week *YAY!!!*. This way I eat what I need to survive, and I don't eat any of the calories that I burn in working out - they are excess to my needs, and get burned instead of absorbed.

I wish you all the best of luck.

Wil
  • AbdullaAlmoawdah
    Options
    Thank you all for your great advice, i'm glad to be here with great people like you guys.

a special thanks to (VitaraWil), for your motivation and advice, the picture i have in my profile is an old one when i used to weigh 85kg, my weight now is 103kg, and i hope to reduce it to 70kg in the few next months.
  • m_shuman
    m_shuman Posts: 179
    Options
    Hi all,

i walk for 30 minutes and i jog for 10 minutes in the morning and i repeat the same thing in the evening, is it safe or is it fine ?

What you are doing is fine. When you are sedentary and just starting an exercise program it is great to start out with walking and build your way up. Once you can easily walk for 30 minutes at a brisk pace you can add in the jogging for 2-3 minutes and build on it. Be careful not to jog at to high of a speed. Your goal should be to jog at a slower speed for a longer amount of time. This will allow you to maintain a higher HR for a longer amount of time.
  • DamnImASexyBitch
    DamnImASexyBitch Posts: 740 Member
    Options
    I break up my exercise into two sessions so I can get a full 60-90 minutes in. I usually do some type of cardio & add weights into the mix.
  • talamer
    talamer Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    7ada 3ady :) oo waaaaayed zain :) wa9l oo btchoof netayej 7elwa enshallah!

u are doing great! I wish I have time to exercise twice a day!
  • witchy_wife
    witchy_wife Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    With the high temps at midday and early afternoon it's probably far safer for you to do two smaller workouts like you suggested, morning and evening.

I seem to remember reading somewhere that it's actually more beneficial to do two 30 minute runs than one 60, but can't remember why!

I do 30 days shred on a morning, walk 1.5 miles in my lunch break and walk 3 miles on the treadmill in an evening. Way I look at it is it's all still exercise and burns the calories so will help. Good luck!