is myfitnesspal accurate for kCal burned?

Options
I am dubious about myfitnesspal's calculations of how much kCal I burn doing exercise.
FWIW, I've been a kind of mediocre triathlete for two years; used to be about 300lbs and now hovering around 230.
Right now I'm training for a half marathon - my second - and yesterday was my long run of the week - 12.25 miles.
MFP says I burned about 2200 kCal. If I'm to follow the pound per week goal, I would basically have to double my food intake for yesterday.

What has your experience been?
Is MFP accurate for exercise?
If not, how do you compensate?

Replies

• lacroyx
    lacroyx Posts: 5,754 Member
    Options
    Under estimates me for EVERYTHING.
    MFP is only an estimate.

I invested in a HRM. Many brands out there. In my opinion the top 2 brands are Garmin and Polar. I went with Polar. FT 40 model. It's pricey, but worth it. If you choose to get a HRM, make sure you get one with a chest strap. They make HRMs that don't use a chest strap but those are not nearly as accurate as ones with a chest strap. Polar and Garmin all make HRMs with a chest strap.
  • PhoenixRising7
    PhoenixRising7 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    For me, MFP either underestimated or was fairly close to what my HRM said I was burning.
    It's just an estimate (as are HRMs). It's accurate for some stuff, but it can be way off on other things.

Typically I only eat back exercise calories if I've had a particularly intense workout, and even then I don't eat them all back.
  • kmuree
    kmuree Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    MyFitnessPal often overestimates or is near what my average burn is.
    It depends on the type of exercise but it is a rough estimate that many say is based on a person of average weight.
    A Heart Rate Monitor that has a chest strap has the best results. I personally use a Polar FT4 which I love.
  • mate03
    mate03 Posts: 5
    Options
    I used to be a tri and lost weight like crazy as I could not keep up with the output of caleries. Everyone who tris sems to have the same problem, trying to eat enough to keep up with the out put. . Do make sure you get your protein in to build muscles. I can no longer do the tri training due to a back injury but got onto this app nad it really helps to not eat the bad stuff/ empty calories and encourages me to do my workout.