A question for the runners...

Options
Hi folks,

Today I have graduated from the Couch to 5K programme and run my first non-stop, no walk 5K. My plan has always been to get up to at least 10K as living in the town centre but being a country bumpkin at heart I like to get out in the fields and that means running farther!

I have been using an app to get me to 5K with a nice combination of running and walking - and I have a similar app already lined up designed to take me to 10K.

My question is this - I completed my 5K today in 34:37, should I now look to improve this time to say under 30 minutes before increasing my distance or should I launch straight in with my 10K app and build up further?

Thanks.

Replies

• _danjo_
    _danjo_ Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    I don't think you necessarily have to work on improving your 5K time, but you might want to spend some time just getting used to the 5K distance and feeling very comfortable with it--but not too long (just a week or two) before moving on to increasing your distance.
  • livingdeadbuddha
    livingdeadbuddha Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Your pace will improve with the more miles you run, so if you want to run farther, run farther. Don't worry about speed for a while. it will come.
  • Cheval13
    Cheval13 Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    I think a combination of the previous two posts is helpful. Just in terms of upping your distance, it is wise to do it slowly and build your base before you increase. If you've been running 5K for a month now, then starting to work up is fine. However, since you just finished the 5K , get comfortable with it first.
  • tappae
    tappae Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    Your pace will improve with the more miles you run, so if you want to run farther, run farther. Don't worry about speed for a while. it will come.
    +1
  • angeltg
    angeltg Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Go for the distance. The more you run the better you will get. Once your comfortable running 10k then concentrate on pace.
  • RedWeb
    RedWeb Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Don't get obsessed with the actual distance. Go out for a run and if you do 3, 4, or 5 miles then so be it. Run as long as you feel comfortable.
  • kmorganlfc
    kmorganlfc Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Trying to beat times and becoming obsessed with PBs can lead to a lot of dissappointment and despondancy - especially with people beginning to take exercise. It can lead to tiredness and injuries, and running can become more of an ordeal than a pleasure. Regular exercise, at a level that you enjoy and makes you want to do it again, will naturally improve your times and speed. Of course, it's interesing to try to beat peronal bests, and I do so myself. But I try to reserve one run a week, or maybe fortnight, to try and do it. But don't get too down if you go slower than your PB. Regular exercise that is manageable is far more beneficial in the beginner's stage.
  • dmh0204
    dmh0204 Posts: 81
    Options
    I don't think there's anything magical about 5K that you need to stick with it before increasing your distance or that you would need to improve your time. Launch right into the 10K app. If you keep setting new goals for yourself, you'll see how strong you really are, and that will keep you motivated. On days that you don't have time to run a 10K--or whatever your app is for the 10K--still do the 5K.

And congratulations on graduating from C25K!
  • Josedavid
    Josedavid Posts: 695 Member
    Options
    Hello, what I did when I graduated from C25K was to try to improve a little my time in the 5K but I moved pretty soon to the "bridge to 8k" and suddenly I was running 10Km without notice it! The improvement come along easily if you are consistent and hey... you already did the tougher part! congratulations!
  • Sox90716
    Sox90716 Posts: 976 Member
    Options
    I don't think you necessarily have to work on improving your 5K time, but you might want to spend some time just getting used to the 5K distance and feeling very comfortable with it--but not too long (just a week or two) before moving on to increasing your distance.

This. Good luck!
  • californiagirl2012
    californiagirl2012 Posts: 2,625 Member
    Options
    You should do a combination of both. Look up HIIT on the internet. You should do different combinations of running to develop your slow twitch and fast twitch muscles. I vary my running just like my weight training program. Also I found that my weight lifting routine improved my speed as well as losing all the fat.

I wrote down the various leg exercises as well as other exercises here. You don't really ever want to exercise only one body part unless you get lean enough to see imbalances, or else you actually create imbalances in your body. http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/746754-how-to-get-abs-with-pics

The routine I do consists of weight lifting first and cardio second, but I still do cardio (mainly running). I change up everything all the time. My running is sometimes long easy runs, sometimes HIIT, sometimes shorter medium pace runs. My weight routine changes each day, each week, Circuits, Intermittent Super Sets, Fibonacci Pyramids, X-sets, Progress Venus Pyramids, and some splits, constantly changing it up, everything a variety of Strength, Hypertrophy, and Endurance.

Legs; In addition to Dealdlift's, Stiff Leg Dead Lifts, Sumo Dead Lifts and Squats I do Bulgarian Split Squats, Lunges, Reverse lunges, Curtsey lunges, Step Ups, Crossover Bench Step Ups, One legged Deadlifts (T-Bend), Lunge Matrix, Bowler Squat, One Legged Get Ups, Bower Squat and calf Raise, Bowler Squat + Stiff Leg Deadlift, Curtsey Lunge + Dumbbell Squat, T-Bend + Y-Squat, Reverse Lunge & Step Up, Curtsey Lunge + Step Up, Y-squat, Narrow Stance Squat

For upper body I do Standing Shoulder Press, Standing Dumbell Curls, Lying Tricep extension, Pullovers, Bent Barbell Row, Standing lateral Raise, Standing front Raise, Curl and Press, Shoulder Press + Curl, Dips, Lying Tricep Extensions + Flyes, Venus Raise (a type of snatch), Bent Row + Standing Lateral Raise, Pullovers, Pushup + Dips, Standing Dumbbell curls + Overhead Tricep Extension, Bent Lateral Raise + Pullovers, One Arm Dumbbell row, Flyes + Pushups, Seated Curl & Tate Press, Seated Curls + Overhead Tricep Extension, Pushups, Pullovers + Dips, Bent Barbell Row, Lateral Raise + Full Front Raise, Venus Raise + Dips, Standing Dumbbell curls + Lying Tricep Extension, Upright Row + Dips, Bent Barbell Row, Flat bench Press, Incline Bench Press, Bent Row Narrow, Bent Row + Kickback,

Then some upper and lower combos; Squat and Front Raise, Step Up & Press, Step Up + Standing Shoulder Press, Squat & Press, Squat & Swing, Curtsy Lunge + Standing Shoulder Pres, T-Bend & Row, Pike Front Rais + Curtsey Lunge, Flat Bench Press + Step Up.

Core: Bar Bell Rollouts (you can start out with Stability Ball Roll Outs), Swiss Ball Pikes (you can start out with Stability Ball Curl Ups), and planks. As you advance Swiss Ball Pike and pushup.

I probably forgot some but you get the idea.
  • Wilson336
    Options
    It really depends on what your final goal is. If your goal is distance running, then works on going to 10k. If you are happy with your distance, then begin focusing on getting your time under 30:00. You will find that that it begins building your muscles in slightly different ways, so it helps to decide on your final goal and stick to a regimen that holds to that goal.
  • michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    Options
    I'd say work one or two runs a week to a longer distance; keep a shorter run to faster... over time you'll have a nice repertoire of under 1-hour runs that you can do to vary your workouts, you'll get up to 10k and you'll get your 5k time down to under 30 minutes :smile:
  • IronmanPanda
    IronmanPanda Posts: 2,083 Member
    Options
    You should do a combination of both. Look up HIIT on the internet. You should do different combinations of running to develop your slow twitch and fast twitch muscles. I vary my running just like my weight training program. Also I found that my weight lifting routine improved my speed as well as losing all the fat.

I wrote down the various leg exercises as well as other exercises here. You don't really ever want to exercise only one body part unless you get lean enough to see imbalances, or else you actually create imbalances in your body. http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/746754-how-to-get-abs-with-pics

The routine I do consists of weight lifting first and cardio second, but I still do cardio (mainly running). I change up everything all the time. My running is sometimes long easy runs, sometimes HIIT, sometimes shorter medium pace runs. My weight routine changes each day, each week, Circuits, Intermittent Super Sets, Fibonacci Pyramids, X-sets, Progress Venus Pyramids, and some splits, constantly changing it up, everything a variety of Strength, Hypertrophy, and Endurance.

Legs; In addition to Dealdlift's, Stiff Leg Dead Lifts, Sumo Dead Lifts and Squats I do Bulgarian Split Squats, Lunges, Reverse lunges, Curtsey lunges, Step Ups, Crossover Bench Step Ups, One legged Deadlifts (T-Bend), Lunge Matrix, Bowler Squat, One Legged Get Ups, Bower Squat and calf Raise, Bowler Squat + Stiff Leg Deadlift, Curtsey Lunge + Dumbbell Squat, T-Bend + Y-Squat, Reverse Lunge & Step Up, Curtsey Lunge + Step Up, Y-squat, Narrow Stance Squat

For upper body I do Standing Shoulder Press, Standing Dumbell Curls, Lying Tricep extension, Pullovers, Bent Barbell Row, Standing lateral Raise, Standing front Raise, Curl and Press, Shoulder Press + Curl, Dips, Lying Tricep Extensions + Flyes, Venus Raise (a type of snatch), Bent Row + Standing Lateral Raise, Pullovers, Pushup + Dips, Standing Dumbbell curls + Overhead Tricep Extension, Bent Lateral Raise + Pullovers, One Arm Dumbbell row, Flyes + Pushups, Seated Curl & Tate Press, Seated Curls + Overhead Tricep Extension, Pushups, Pullovers + Dips, Bent Barbell Row, Lateral Raise + Full Front Raise, Venus Raise + Dips, Standing Dumbbell curls + Lying Tricep Extension, Upright Row + Dips, Bent Barbell Row, Flat bench Press, Incline Bench Press, Bent Row Narrow, Bent Row + Kickback,

Then some upper and lower combos; Squat and Front Raise, Step Up & Press, Step Up + Standing Shoulder Press, Squat & Press, Squat & Swing, Curtsy Lunge + Standing Shoulder Pres, T-Bend & Row, Pike Front Rais + Curtsey Lunge, Flat Bench Press + Step Up.

Core: Bar Bell Rollouts (you can start out with Stability Ball Roll Outs), Swiss Ball Pikes (you can start out with Stability Ball Curl Ups), and planks. As you advance Swiss Ball Pike and pushup.

I probably forgot some but you get the idea.

WTF? Did you even read the OP? Hell at least you didn't include the links to that damn workout you're selling.
  • iluvprettyshoes
    iluvprettyshoes Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    I wondered the same thing. I ended up going straight into the 10K and completed that. It did improve my 5K time.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    +1

plus too
  • MissFit0101
    MissFit0101 Posts: 2,382
    Options
    I would say distance before speed. Work up to that 10K distance and your 5K pace will naturally get faster, without any speed training or HIIT. I think speed work should be reserved to more experienced runners. (my personal opinion) Good luck whatever you decide.
  • sbrBirdy
    sbrBirdy Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I agree with the others who've said distance before speed. The speed comes later and is much harder on your body. Logging slow miles will help your body adjust to the impact and is the best way to stay injury free in my experience.
  • thelovelyLIZ
    thelovelyLIZ Posts: 1,227 Member
    Options
    Honestly, do which ever you want. I stayed around running 3-4 miles before my first 5k run for a few months (I didn't do couch to 5k... I just started running, hahaha). I did that because that's what I felt like doing. After my first 5k, I realized I loved racing, so I decided to do a 10k, and right after my 10k, I decided I wanted to do a half marathon. I'm a milage junky, so the thrill of running further was exciting to me.

After my half, I'll probably work on speed, because that's what I feel like doing right now. There's no right or wrong way, just do whatever you want.
  • dunc289
    dunc289 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Honestly, do which ever you want. I stayed around running 3-4 miles before my first 5k run for a few months (I didn't do couch to 5k... I just started running, hahaha). I did that because that's what I felt like doing. After my first 5k, I realized I loved racing, so I decided to do a 10k, and right after my 10k, I decided I wanted to do a half marathon. I'm a milage junky, so the thrill of running further was exciting to me.

After my half, I'll probably work on speed, because that's what I feel like doing right now. There's no right or wrong way, just do whatever you want.

I'd go along with this.
    I usually run a 4.5 mile trail loop.
    One day, I just decided to run it twice, (had a 5 min breather).
    Since then, I have no problem contemplating anything up to 10 miles.
    You almost certainly have more in you than you think. I bet you could go straight to 10 k at your 5 k pace.