Dumb about protein powder

Options
I tend to not eat breakfast and I'm looking for a protein shake to have as a meal replacement. Any suggestions? AND PLEASE DON'T SAY SHAKEOLOGY. I already have a BB coach pushing me in that direction and I can't afford 130 bucks a month, I want an alternative weight loss protein shake. What do you look for in a protein shake? Are they all basically the same?

Replies

• soulfulsally
    Options
    I've tried so many different brands and flavors over the years before ditching them. It's really hit-and-miss with protein powders. Some people may swear by a certain one and you'll be disgusted by it. If your heart is set on finding a protein powder, try contacting the companies first for samples. Sometimes they give them away for free.
  • takumaku
    takumaku Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    I agree with the above poster. I would contact the companies and request samples. I am currently trying out samples of Sun Warrior products "Warrior Blend" and "Classic Protein". I have tried Designer Whey, EAS, and Vega One Shake. All were good to me. The Vega One had too much iron in it for my preference.
  • jenndymond
    jenndymond Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I havnt found one that I love yet but i did find one that I can stomach! GNC lean 25. 25g of protein per shake.
  • jenga727
    jenga727 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    Walmart has a really yummy chocolate peanut butter protein! It tastes like a reese's shake when you mix it with milk! Body Fortress i think is what its called and its only about 15 for a huge tub!
  • HolsDoinIt
    HolsDoinIt Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    I've tried so many different brands and flavors over the years before ditching them. It's really hit-and-miss with protein powders. Some people may swear by a certain one and you'll be disgusted by it. If your heart is set on finding a protein powder, try contacting the companies first for samples. Sometimes they give them away for free.

^^^^ sooo true^^^ i have began using the CelluCor lean protein...it had 30g of protein and like 130 calories..its great but not the best lol...i like adding the different sugar free syrups to them..like caramel and mocha...they help its taste....but i have yet to find one protein that just blows my mind and makes me want it everytday....
  • Cr01502
    Cr01502 Posts: 3,614 Member
    Options
    If you're looking for a replacement for breakfast make sure you ask for a Meal Replacement shake as they're not the same as a protein shake. A protein shake will contain only protein with minimal fat and carbs. A meal replacement shake will usuall contain healthy fats, low GI carbs, and protein (whey and casein).

Most online shops will sell small samples. I would recommend trying one of these before dropping $$$ on one that you can't stomach.
  • sunnyside1213
    sunnyside1213 Posts: 1,205 Member
    Options
    Walmart has a really yummy chocolate peanut butter protein! It tastes like a reese's shake when you mix it with milk! Body Fortress i think is what its called and its only about 15 for a huge tub!

I use the chocolate and love it. Wish my Walmart had the chocolate and peanut butter.
  • Cecilia2690
    Options
    My girlfriend & I started drinking Jillian Michael's Whey Protein. Its only $10 & you can find it at your local grocery stores. We got ours at Walmart. It comes in 2 flavors, vanilla & chocolate. We always got vanilla because we read onlone that the chocolate tasted bad & it was hard to use it in smoothies & such because the flavor was to strong to cover up. Its only 100 calories per scoop & seems to be formulated more towards women. We would drink it in smoothies for breakfast & sometimes for lunch.
  • wmagoo27
    wmagoo27 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Body Fortress is pretty tasty. I really like Optimum Nutrition the best. ON has a lot of different flavors and they don't have all of the extra junk that some powders have.
  • Denjo060
    Denjo060 Posts: 1,008
    Options
    I use vanilla UMP from Beverly International I think thats who makes it I mix it with fresh or frozen fruit what ever kind you like and almond milk and also sometimes greek yogurt its really delish!!! The cost is only 35.00 for a month.
  • littlebuddy84
    littlebuddy84 Posts: 1,000 Member
    Options
    Banana flavor is also very nice!
  • Jalyn77
    Jalyn77 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I use a plant based protein powder that I buy at Super Supplements called Life's Basics. It has 20 grams of protein and tastes delicious! Most protein powders are made with Whey which comes from milk. I have found that lots of the whey protein powders out there tend to have far too many ingredients in their ingredients listing and that's why they have strange flavors - it's man made food. I try to stick with whole foods and steer away from milk products because I think we eat far too much!
  • determined_01
    Options
    Banana flavor is also very nice!
    have either of you had weight loss with the BF?
  • Jalyn77
    Jalyn77 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I also mix it with almond milk and sometimes either blue berries or peanut butter.
  • hooperkay
    hooperkay Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    I use isopure from GNC. (dutch chocolate or cookies and cream). Mix 8 oz silk milk light, 4 oz water, 2 scoops powder, and 1 packet splenda.

After mixed has 280 calories, 9 carbs, 3 fat, 56 protein, 3 fiber, and 4 sugar. (cookies and cream has lower carbs)

One 3lb tub is about $80 (not on sale) I usually get for $50 on sale.

I chose this one because of low carb and calories. It also tastes wonderful! There are cheaper ones but I would rather spend my money on the one that best suits me.

They do sell individual packets in GNC and health food stores. Can try different ones!
  • determined_01
    Options
    Body Fortress is pretty tasty. I really like Optimum Nutrition the best. ON has a lot of different flavors and they don't have all of the extra junk that some powders have.
    What kind of "junk" are you talking about? What do i need to stay away from when looking for a powder?
  • themommyiwannabe
    themommyiwannabe Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I drink Beverly International. I order mine from Amazon because it is cheaper than ordering it direct from the company. I love the cookies and creme as well as the chocolate. I always add ice to both, but also put peanut butter in the chocolate. I love them. I think sometimes I am addicted!!!!
  • Reptileszz
    Reptileszz Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Blue Bonnet Whey Protein is pretty good. I say pretty good cause if you want lo cal and lots of protein per scoop you are only going to get "OK" for taste. This stuff is 116 cals for 26g of protein. For calories to protein ratio it doesnt get much better. And it uses Stevia instead of that awful other fake sugar I cant stand. Sucrolose? In any case this stuff is pretty good but pricey.
  • Sarge516
    Sarge516 Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    I buy mine from GNC or COSTCO. COSTCO is cheaper, and works just fine IMO. If you want a nice low calorie shake as a snack, use protein powder and almond milk. For a breakfast shake, add 1/2 cup to a cup of frozen berries, 1/2 a banana, and 1/8 cup of ground flax seed (omega 3 and fibre). Yum.
  • dave4d
    dave4d Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    Most are pretty good if you make them with a blender, and frozen fruit.

I usually get Body Fortress from Walmart, in Vanilla, and Chocolate, then freeze bananas. Then I can mix up my shakes. Banana, chocolate peanut butter, mint, strawberry, chocolate cherry, apple pie, cookies and cream, rasberry, etc.