Lunch Catastrophe... almost

Options
I knew that I had a business luncheon schedule today at a local hotel. I planned ahead and limited my calorie intake this morning, knowing that the back scrod and vegetables would likely have some "extras" in them. I also had made up my mind that I would refuse dessert since they typically serve chocolate cake with heavy frosting. When lunch was served the scrod had some crushed pecans sprinkled over it. The scrod was about the size of my palm so I am guessing that it is roughly 5 oz. The vegetables were a mix of carrots, squash, peas and green beans. The server indicated that they were just steamed. There was also a small cup of a vegetable soup in a red broth. I didn't the overall lunch was that bad since the portion were on the small side and I figured that I would overestimate when I entered the information into my food diary just to be safe.

I thought I made it..... then dessert came. I did not reject the dessert for some reason. During the next 30 minutes of listening to the luncheon speaker, I start to have a little piece then another then another. Before I knew it it was all gone.

So I get back to the office and I start to enter the lunch into my diary. The actually lunch was fine but the cake consumed approximate 500 calories. On the bright side I still have 400 calories for dinner so I am most likely just going to have a turkey on whole wheat with a slice of tomato.

Although I did not make a wise choice at lunch, I feel better about being honest and entering all the food into the food diary. Hopefully I have learned my lesson!!!!

Replies

• TuscanySun
    TuscanySun Posts: 3,608 Member
    Options
    I knew that I had a business luncheon schedule today at a local hotel. I planned ahead and limited my calorie intake this morning, knowing that the back scrod and vegetables would likely have some "extras" in them. I also had made up my mind that I would refuse dessert since they typically serve chocolate cake with heavy frosting. When lunch was served the scrod had some crushed pecans sprinkled over it. The scrod was about the size of my palm so I am guessing that it is roughly 5 oz. The vegetables were a mix of carrots, squash, peas and green beans. The server indicated that they were just steamed. There was also a small cup of a vegetable soup in a red broth. I didn't the overall lunch was that bad since the portion were on the small side and I figured that I would overestimate when I entered the information into my food diary just to be safe.

I thought I made it..... then dessert came. I did not reject the dessert for some reason. During the next 30 minutes of listening to the luncheon speaker, I start to have a little piece then another then another. Before I knew it it was all gone.

So I get back to the office and I start to enter the lunch into my diary. The actually lunch was fine but the cake consumed approximate 500 calories. On the bright side I still have 400 calories for dinner so I am most likely just going to have a turkey on whole wheat with a slice of tomato.

Although I did not make a wise choice at lunch, I feel better about being honest and entering all the food into the food diary. Hopefully I have learned my lesson!!!!

Oh how familiar this sounds to me! I've done exactly the same thing many times. Before hand my brain decides and knows I'm not going to have dessert (or whatever it is) and then inexplicably I do it anyway! Ugh!! I get frustrated with myself but it sounds like you did fine, owning up to it in the log and planning before and after to limit calories...good job!

Darn that chocolate cake!!
  • tayner
    tayner Posts: 372
    Options
    sounds like you are being accountable to yourself, and that, in the end, is what will keep you on the right road! Great job.
  • fbref9
    fbref9 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    So I did well last night at dinner by limiting my calories after having the chocolate cake at yesterday's luncheon. I had vowed to stay off the scale until next week's weigh-in but I had to know if I had digressed. I jumped on after showering and I was pleased to see that I had droped about 0.4 pounds since Tuesday. Then I kicked myself because I started to think that it would have been 0.6 or 0.8 if I did not have the chocolate cake.

Well a disaster has been averted..... moving on with positive thoughts!