When you loose weight

Options
Are you guys buying clothes? Do you have some of your skinny clothes left in your closet?

I walked around Lane Bryant a couple of weeks ago, knowing I was going to be on a different kind of eating style the rest of my life and would be loosing weight...I could only bring myself to by a t-shirt that was on sale. I told the curious salesperson that I was going to be on a diet soon (no no word, i know), and I was afraid to buy anything...since I won't know how small I will be....she said? :laugh: "Well, then why don't you buy clothes that you think you will be able to fit into."

:laugh: 'huh?' I thought. Nope. My friend bought a bunch of clothes and said that when I loose weight to give her my old clothes.

I guess the reward to all of this is not just my health, but a new wardrobe :laugh: !

Replies

• jaxkipi
    jaxkipi Posts: 233
    Options
    Are you guys buying clothes? Do you have some of your skinny clothes left in your closet?

I walked around Lane Bryant a couple of weeks ago, knowing I was going to be on a different kind of eating style the rest of my life and would be loosing weight...I could only bring myself to by a t-shirt that was on sale. I told the curious salesperson that I was going to be on a diet soon (no no word, i know), and I was afraid to buy anything...since I won't know how small I will be....she said? :laugh: "Well, then why don't you buy clothes that you think you will be able to fit into."

:laugh: 'huh?' I thought. Nope. My friend bought a bunch of clothes and said that when I loose weight to give her my old clothes.

I guess the reward to all of this is not just my health, but a new wardrobe :laugh: !
  • mccdl34
    mccdl34 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I'm a male, so I don't get too excited about clothes. But I've finally decided it's time for some new jeans. My old ones are just too baggy. I was around the same weight for 15 to 20 years, so I don't have any skinny clothes in my closet.

I'm kind of like you. I'm not sure how small I'm going to get, so I've been holding off. But since I'm almost in the healthy range for BMI now, maybe it's time!

A new wardrobe sounds like a good incentive to me!
  • lotusfromthemud
    lotusfromthemud Posts: 5,335 Member
    Options
    I've gone through four entire wardrobes.

The thing is, the weight goes in spurts. (or maybe the shopping urge does) Sometimes, I was down a size. Once, I went down three sizes in between shopping trips.

There is a bittersweet feeling giving your favorite outfit to charity, and you'll most likely have to find all new stores to shop in.

I shopped at thrift stores (some surprisingly good stuff) and target. (I now drive two hours to Buffalo to go from time to time) to save money. At least I kept up with the latest trends, as nothing in my closet was ever old.:flowerforyou:
  • tiangelah
    tiangelah Posts: 144
    Options
    I am trying to get down to a size 6 or 5. Nothing to much smaller. A 4 is a nice size but I dont know if i want to be that small. So I am going to buy some skinny jeans from old navy size 6 as my reward when I loose my first 5 pounds :) lol. It is going to take me another 10 to 15 pounds to get into them. Hey I see it as motivation.
  • ltsoccermom
    Options
    I am wearing 16's and almost grew out of my 16's but refused to buy the next size up. I have in my closet waiting for me my 14's and in boxes some of my 12's. My 10's and 8's are long gone. I can see myself in my 14's that I have not warn in 7-8 years. I am dreaming of my size 12's that I have not fit into for 10-12 years. The only things I saved were jeans or classic outfits that do not go out of style. and SHORTS!! I can't wait to wear my shorts and look good. Just incase they do and I need something new for a temporary size I have an awesome thrift store. I live in an area where there is a lot of money and the ladies cycle their cloths through pretty quick. Lightly warn and inexpensive. Next best is the 75% off rack at Dillard's. :happy:
  • jill5677
    jill5677 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I think it depends on what your budget allows, but I do think it's important to have clothes that fit you. If you're planning on losing a lot of weight, then trying to keep up on buying all new wardrobes in a short amount of time is hard.
    However, buying new clothes is part of the fun of losing weight, so you should indulge yourself.

ALSO - only buy clothes that fit. If you buy something too small hoping you'll fit into it some day, it will only be a negative reinforcement if you don't fit into the clothes when you expect to.

So, I say, try to shop deals so you don't go broke, but still try to buy clothes to show off your new figure!
  • catlover
    catlover Posts: 389
    Options
    Do you remember the yogurt commercial where the girl hung the polka dot bikini on the wall and looked at it all year as she walked by eating her yogurt and then during the summer you see her jumping into the car with the bikini on?? I have a blue dress I would love to wear again so I have it up on the closet door and I look at it all the time. I can sqeeze into it, so I tried it on the first time I got it out, looked horrible then, looks slightly better now. It's my "summit" on top of the mountain, a reference from another post. Along the way, I do buy something if I need it or I trade with friends.
  • peej76
    peej76 Posts: 1,250 Member
    Options
    I have a closet full of my pre pregnancy clothes that are calling my name! But I don't really get out much so around the house I'm usually sticking to my sweats. I have one outfit that I was wearing when I got the chance to get out but they were to big and I was sick of going out looking like a slob, so just the other day I splurged on one new outfit that I can wear out. I bought it to fit me for now so I hope I won't have to wear it for too much longer and can get back into the pile in my closet!
  • jessneill
    jessneill Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    I do have some "skinnier" clothes, which is a relative term since skinnier for me would be a size 14 :laugh: , and I have started to work down my wardrobe. But I also think it's important to buy yourself one or two things as you lose weight.

If you are always wearing things that are too big for you it's hard for you or others to see the progress you have made.

Like my boyfriend said when I asked if the jeans I was wearing looked bad because they were so baggy, his response was... "No, but they are hiding all of your progress" :smile:
  • hmmmm
    hmmmm Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    I went to lane bryant last week and just bought one outfit I needed something versatile so I could wear it easter, to a baby shower and when we go on miami vacation. I bought a top that fits now and pants/capri that are very tight but still wearable. I also got a belt and a necklace. I am hopeful they will fit a little better in time for Easter. I am thankful I can fit into some of my jeans now and I am just about ready to throw away the maternity clothes that I was still wearing nine months after I had my baby. :)
  • rem1979
    rem1979 Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    I would never buy clothes in advance as motivation. The reason is because I don't know how my body is going to be once I lose the weight. Shirts maybe, but never pants.

I actually went "shopping" in my closet yesterday and gained 6 pants that I haven't fit into since before I got pregnant so I more than double my pants wardrobe. Felt so good too. 2 of the pants are size 14 which fit good, a little loose and the rest are size 12 which I couldn't even button back in November.

Through your weight loss journey, just buy some new clothes to hold you over unless you have lots of money to keep buying a bunch of new clothes.

Also, this time, I am keeping my fat clothes. I will get pregnant again and these are "just in case" clothes. This last time I gained lots of weight, I had to go out and buy more clothes which sucked. So as long as it's in good shape, I am keeping it. Even if I never ever wear them again.
  • Helawat
    Helawat Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    I would never buy clothes in advance. Buying a pair of size six jeans now when I wear between an 8-10 is not cost effective since I don't know if those jeans would even fit after the weight loss. Especially since jeans can cost between $80-$200.

I do have a few pieces myself that I can't fit into. I have a pair of khakis that are too small, a button up shirt from MNG by Mango that is a little tight, and a pair of size 8 low low rider jeans that I can't fit across my hips.

I do shop on a regular basis though because I know the clothes I buy now will continue to look great as I loose weight. I recently did a shopping spree on The Strip and everything I bought was the size small...the mediums were too big.

I'm not going to get smaller than that size but things will look even better than they do now.