Do bigger people lose weight faster?

Options
13»

Replies

• thebowhunter
    Options
    I hope we lose faster. We have more to lose.
  • thebigcb
    thebigcb Posts: 2,210 Member
    Options
    Keep up the good work
  • jakidb
    jakidb Posts: 1,010 Member
    Options
    I would have to say "yes" that heavier ppl lose quicker; me being heavier, I drop alot faster than some of my friends who did the same as I (diet/excercise)
  • ShreddedTweet
    ShreddedTweet Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    Yes because they have to use more energy just to carry around all that excess fat... but it's all relative, for example; my heavier friend could lose 50lbs and only go down one size whereas 7lbs or 10lbs would bring me down a full size... Best of luck to you both!
  • llkilgore
    llkilgore Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    I started at 300lbs work out lots eat right and I lose weight very very slowly always have. The most I have ever lost in one week is 2lbs on any diet I have ever tried and believe me I have tried a few lol.
    So generally I think it depends on the individual

The problem with that argument is that you're unlikely to lose the pounds any more rapidly as you get smaller - quite the opposite, I'm afraid. Some people are destined to be on the less desirable side of the bell curve regardless of how much or how little weight they need to lose. That doesn't change the general trend, it just means that starting weight isn't the only variable.
  • dodihere
    dodihere Posts: 490
    Options
    I started off at 280. I initially lost 10 pounds before I started tracking my foods and exercising. I weigh 258 and I have exercised on a daily basis (fast paced walked for an hour a day) and eat about 1200 - 1400 calories per day. I have lost 12 pounds in about three months. I swore up and down the first 30 would just drop quickly. It didn't. I am still working at it. I feel great though.
  • jericamom
    jericamom Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    the more you have to lose, the easier it is.

I will call bs on this line. I am 321 right now. I work out like a mad women 5 days a week and eat well with in my cal each day. Each person body is different and will lose at it own rate.

Definitely this. It is NOT easy for me, as I'm averaging less than a pound a week. I'll take it, of course, but saying it's easy is not correct for everyone.
  • myfitnessval
    myfitnessval Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    for the most part, yes the bigger you are and more you have to lose the easier it can be. the closer you get to your goal the slower the losses will be so dont get discouraged, its just the way things go.
  • happycauseIride
    happycauseIride Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    I call BS. Everybody is different. I've been losing 1-2 pounds per week since I started, and I started at 357.

Reasons it may be "easier" are because an overweight person will burn more calories when working out. It isn't easy, though. Stop making it sound like a walk in the park. You do Turbo Jam with 100 pounds of extra weight on you and tell me how easy it is.

I will second this^^^

It is not a walk in the park.
  • MommaKit79
    Options
    AGREED!!!! We had a challenge here at work for who could lose the most weight and instead of using the TOTAL AMOUNT of weight lost, we used percentage so it was more "fair" to everyone who competed.

Not saying it is easier to lose weight becuase it is difficult to lose when your heavier and have the extra weight but, when you compare, GENERALLY this is how it is:

If a person who is 100 lbs overweight does the same exercise as a person only 30 lbs overweight does, the person who is 100 lbs overweight will burn more calories. And, if their "diet" is the same, the heavier person will drop more weight, as they arent putting the percentage of calories back that the other is. It isnt easier in terms of PUSH or endurance.

ME, on the other hand, have been dropping slowly since the beginning, with ~60lbs to lose (~30 left to go). BUT, someone else with my SAME STATS may be losing quicker, depending on their HEALTH. Thyroid issues have contributed in my slow weight loss. BUT, I am OK with that becuase then it will stay off easier! :-)
  • RikanSoulja
    RikanSoulja Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    The Op's question was do bigger people lose weight faster. She did not mention easier. Easy is a relative term anyways. What may be easy for one is difficult for another.

Generally a person who has more weight to lose will drop lbs faster but the rate slows down as they get closer to their goal.
  • MissTattoo
    MissTattoo Posts: 1,203 Member
    Options
    Why are people getting bent out of shape? Bigger people do lose faster. I started at 300 pounds, my BMR is 2200 and my TDEE is 3000. I stay around 2300/2400 and I lost 10 pounds last month.

Some bigger people make the mistake thinking we have to eat like birds. The problem, at least for me, was eating over my TDEE and not enough activity. Now that I stick to around my BMR, the pounds are coming off.