Heart rate montior vs fitbit

Everyone I need some advice! I'm wanting to keep an accurate count of my calories, and have read about heart rate monitors and a fitbit? Which is better/more accurate? I don't really know much about fitbits. Never heard of them until I saw someone mention them here on myfitnesspal. I'm going shopping today so hoping for an answer soon! Thanks! :)

Replies

• Jalyn77
    Jalyn77 Posts: 45 Member
    I want to know the same thing! I just bought a $100 HRM watch and am taking it back. Far too complicated for me. I really want something to help me count calories burned and heart rate.
  • rachmaree
    rachmaree Posts: 782 Member
    I use my hrm (I have a polar ft7) when I do cardio exercises like bike riding, jogging, skipping, etc. I use that number when ı log exercise on mfp.
    I use my fitbit just to see how active I have been throughout the day. It has been useful in motivating me to be more active... I like to get it between 15000 and 20000 steps per day. It is really just a pedometer... I like that it tracks distance, it has been useful when I go for jogs to see the distance I covered.
    If you are curious about your calorie burn during exercise, I'd recommend a hrm.
    If you want something to motivate you to be more active generally throughout the day, the fitit is fun :)
  • emmabrackpool
    emmabrackpool Posts: 61 Member
    I've been thinking the same and have been looking at http://www.fitbit.com/uk/product this afternoon but unfortunately their products are just too expensive for me :-(
  • rachmaree
    rachmaree Posts: 782 Member
    I want to know the same thing! I just bought a $100 HRM watch and am taking it back. Far too complicated for me. I really want something to help me count calories burned and heart rate.

What brand/ model is your hrm? I find the polar ft7 super easy to use, and quite accurate. I just strap it on, hit start, and I'm good to go.
  • Car0lynnM
    Car0lynnM Posts: 332 Member
    I just ordered a relatively cheap HRM to start with. I looked at both, but ultimately went with HRM because it will (should) accurately count how many calories you're burning during any kind of work out. Really, a fitbit is just a very fancy pedometer. Unless I've thought this through wrong, it can't calculate your calories burned with any accuracy because it doesn't know your heart rate. Also, while it does know that you're climbing stairs or a hill, it doesn't know you're working really hard at Turbo Jam or zumba. It can only count steps.
    (If I'm wrong on any of these assumptions based on my research, please correct me. but this is what I based my decision on.)
  • Live4More
    Live4More Posts: 177 Member
    I need the answer to this too please.
  • Dlacenere
    Dlacenere Posts: 198 Member
    I use a polar FT40 and love it. I got it on Amazon for about $100
  • elijhasmomma
    elijhasmomma Posts: 270 Member
    Ipaid $65 including tax and shipping for my Polar Ft4 and it's pink and white :) so it's a bit girly, right up my aisle. It is super easy to use and gives me good calorie counts. The difference in the fitbit is counting the steps you take and tracking your sleep. It won't give you a calorie burn count when you exercise. My HRM has been super simple to set up, enter all the information as it prompts you, hit ok. Then I put on my chest strap with the monitor, put on my watch, hit start, it tracks my heart rate and then I hit start again and it will start counting calories burned. I can hit stop once for pause or stop 2x for ending the session. It will keep up to 10 files of time spent/cals burned right there on the watch. I :heart: my poalr ft4
    P.s. I got it from heart rate monitors usa
  • Fitness4Paul
    Fitness4Paul Posts: 166 Member
    I use both. I use my HRM for excersice and the fitbit to track my daily activity level more accurately. I set to sedentary and let the fitbit adjust my activity accordingly.
  • ladyonaquest
    ladyonaquest Posts: 605 Member
    I have a Pyle PHRM34, I got it brand new off ebay for 30 bucks! It has the chest strap also. Its very easy to use with easy to read instructions!! Just make sure you reprogram your weight as you lose.