not a scale victory, not even a victory. jeans gone wrong

Options

Replies

• happythermia
    Options
    I know how you feel, but pretty much when it comes to clothes sizes are MEANINGLESS.

And jean shopping is the WORST. I don't care what size you are lol! Until you find that perfect brand/fit/style/wash/whatever it is brutal
  • CGreen177
    CGreen177 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    No idea on shops being in the UK, but jeans shopping is the most depressing thing. Ever. I only buy boot cut - the drainpipe bottoms that are in fashion now are (in my opinion) awful. I echo the 'skinny jeans' thing too - spawn of the devil. Plus I acutally have hips and thighs (but not much waist) so trying to find anything that I can pull on over my thighs without having a *gaping* waist is pretty much impossible. One day, maybe, someone, somewhere will make jeans that fit real people. Until that day I wear belts and ill fitting jeans.And I mentally prepare for sever trauma any time I ever go jeans shopping ...
  • CoffeeNBooze
    CoffeeNBooze Posts: 966 Member
    Options
    I think the problem is you went to Kohls. Go somewhere with more quality denim and you're sure to see a difference!
  • Zangpakto
    Zangpakto Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    I've gone down 12-14 sizes this year....

As for the jean issues, no... no it isn't the designers, they actually irritate me by having vanity sizes and making you THINK your size is smaller than it really is making the whole matter confusing.

Tape measure your sizes rather. More accurate.
  • summertime_girl
    summertime_girl Posts: 3,945 Member
    Options
    Skinny jeans and tall boots look good on a multitude of body types. Don't write off skinny jeans unless you've tried them with boots.
  • tat2dmrsgrimm
    tat2dmrsgrimm Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    clothing sizes are insane. I am in a 16, yet I have the cutest pair of jeans ever that I bought a few years ago and they are a 16 and I can't even pull them clear up. Also have a pair of 18s that won't fasten. WTH, right?
  • tonightokayalright
    tonightokayalright Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    Skinny jeans. That's all I can say.

I prefer straight leg, and I have to order them online from AE.com because they don't carry them IN the store anymore.

Like skinny jeans are the be all and end all or something. They're nice, but don't go with EVERYTHING and certainly aren't for EVERYONE.

Try a lot of different stores. That's all I can say. Your body has changed, you have to find a new style and brand of jeans to go with it.
  • heatherloveslifting
    heatherloveslifting Posts: 1,428 Member
    Options
    Size is meaningless, but Your post made me laugh (because I know that feeling all too well) and I want to be your friend! :happy: Congrratulations on your loss too!
  • bikinibeliever
    bikinibeliever Posts: 832 Member
    Options
    Being an apple shape, I have the opposite problem. I have a misses 14 and I can get them up and they fit the legs and butt area with room to spare, no where near getting them buttoned and zipped. My legs and butt are tiny and then........grrrrr....my "apple" ruins it all!

ETA: I need skinnier jeans...lol...Just not in the belly area. :laugh:
  • pkw58
    pkw58 Posts: 2,038 Member
    Options
    I am 5'8" and weigh 132 pounds. I feel your pain in Jeans. I wear khaki and black jeans with nice tunic style tops and blazers to work. In my closet I have 2 sizes 10's, 2 sizes 8, and 2 size 6's .. they all fit my waist and hips.. generally wear a "stove pipe" fit in the legs. I have to wash the 10's after each wearing in hot water and dry on high heat because they get baggy after 8-10 hours of wear. i will say the one of the size 10's was bought in 2002, and the other is Jones NY bought on sale at Macy's.

I too only wear women's sizes and my go to brands are - Gloria Vandebuilt size 8 talls, NYDJ size 6 , and ralph lauren size 8. (All on sale, the Gloria Vanderbuilts are from Costco!, the others from Nordstroms and Macy's sales)

I wear my clothes fitted, not baggy, not tight. Manufacturers make it hard to know where to start trying on clothes. So for "reference" I wear size large Soma undies... even though by their charts I should wear a medium or small. Go figure.

What I am trying to say, here I am at goal weight, and I just buy what fits. Don't let the jean size mean anything, I was happy when my clothes from the overweight period in my life got to big to wear, but just don't let the size I buy anymore count as a NSV for me.
  • Dragonnade
    Dragonnade Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    For those in the UK, there is this: http://sizes.darkgreener.com/

A dress size predictor. Highlighting the appalling differences in sizing across stores, but also meaning you can avoid that horrifying moment where you realise a Marks and Spencer size 14 is really far larger than that.

ETA: Ah, there's even a US size thing that I never noticed before.
  • megsmom2
    megsmom2 Posts: 2,362 Member
    Options
    Skinny jeans. Yuck. They don't look good on anyone except models or skinny twelve year olds. Try relaxed fit, or trouser style...or even boot cut. I'm sort of mystified by sizing and different bodies. You say you're 189 and wearing 12s...I weigh 20 pounds less and I'm wearing 14s. No wonder women get a little crazy over our clothes!!!
  • SuperSexyDork
    SuperSexyDork Posts: 1,669 Member
    Options
    For those in the UK, there is this: http://sizes.darkgreener.com/

A dress size predictor. Highlighting the appalling differences in sizing across stores, but also meaning you can avoid that horrifying moment where you realise a Marks and Spencer size 14 is really far larger than that.

ETA: Ah, there's even a US size thing that I never noticed before.

HA! I think I need to go to Urban Outfitters or H&M... They say I wear a size 12... and here I was thinking I was between a size 14 and 18...
  • magj0y
    magj0y Posts: 1,911 Member
    Options
    have you tried JC penny's St johns bay jeans? I highly suggest them.
  • onyxgirl17
    onyxgirl17 Posts: 1,721 Member
    Options
    Last time I went to Kohl's I was disgusted by how all the jeans fit on me, around the same size as you! I went to Old Navy and NEVER looked back!!
  • Danilynn1975
    Danilynn1975 Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    Ok, I never expected to be the only one with issues, more like a magazine subscription really, with buying jeans. But I didn't expect it to be everyone.

I get it, Kohl's is apparently universally craptastic.

One good thing did come from my failed expedition to the land of new jeans. I went to the one department size isn't an issue or a problem. Style, oh yes you can rock it land...the purse section. Personality, color, your hips never get squished land, muffin top doesn't flow freely land, my favorite area of any store. Hi, my Name is Dani, and I am a purse addict.

I got the most fabulous ivory and brown Miss Me brand purse. Sort of saddlebag shaped, not the dreaded saddlebags on my hips mind you, but the stylish ones found on old Triumph Motorcycles or 70's model Harley Davidsons. I also drooled over a Michael Kors snakeskin blue hobo style, ah, if only the husband wouldn't have flipped It would have came home with me.

The purse were grand, let me tell ya I could have stayed there and soothed many a pang over the jeans away if our bank account were bigger and the kids didn't enjoy lights and food so much.

All the colors of the rainbow, some flirty, some sexy, some just stylish and svelte and sleek., Smooth and soft, supple, begging to go home. But alas, only one got to leave with me, but I promised the purses I'd visit their friends in other stores next weekend, so I may, wander over into misery land, I mean Jeans, and give a few more contestants a whirl under the horror lights in the dressing room. I have discovered I am a very notebooke paper sort of color in my paleness under those lights. It isn't a pretty color for any human to be.
  • heatherloveslifting
    heatherloveslifting Posts: 1,428 Member
    Options
    Wander back and try on the Miss Me jeans! Love!
    Ok, I never expected to be the only one with issues, more like a magazine subscription really, with buying jeans. But I didn't expect it to be everyone.

I get it, Kohl's is apparently universally craptastic.

One good thing did come from my failed expedition to the land of new jeans. I went to the one department size isn't an issue or a problem. Style, oh yes you can rock it land...the purse section. Personality, color, your hips never get squished land, muffin top doesn't flow freely land, my favorite area of any store. Hi, my Name is Dani, and I am a purse addict.

I got the most fabulous ivory and brown Miss Me brand purse. Sort of saddlebag shaped, not the dreaded saddlebags on my hips mind you, but the stylish ones found on old Triumph Motorcycles or 70's model Harley Davidsons. I also drooled over a Michael Kors snakeskin blue hobo style, ah, if only the husband wouldn't have flipped It would have came home with me.

The purse were grand, let me tell ya I could have stayed there and soothed many a pang over the jeans away if our bank account were bigger and the kids didn't enjoy lights and food so much.

All the colors of the rainbow, some flirty, some sexy, some just stylish and svelte and sleek., Smooth and soft, supple, begging to go home. But alas, only one got to leave with me, but I promised the purses I'd visit their friends in other stores next weekend, so I may, wander over into misery land, I mean Jeans, and give a few more contestants a whirl under the horror lights in the dressing room. I have discovered I am a very notebooke paper sort of color in my paleness under those lights. It isn't a pretty color for any human to be.
  • Onaughmae
    Onaughmae Posts: 873 Member
    Options
    Best fitting jeans I have found so far have been the ones I got at Old Navy. They fit my waist but still werent too big in the hips and legs.
  • kenazfehu
    kenazfehu Posts: 1,188 Member
    Options
    I've had best luck at Old Navy. Their Sweetheart line is shaped like I am.

I weigh close to what you do, and my jeans range in size from 14 to 16. As long as they fit well, I don't care what the tag says. Of course I want the size to go down, but I'll take one out of two - scales number going down or size going down. (actually, I don't weigh myself very often either. First and foremost, I want to have sane and stable eating habits)
  • tmauck4472
    tmauck4472 Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    It isn't you! Its Kohls! Their sizes are off. I have lost 32 lbs, started at a tight 18, now wearing a comfortable 14. I tried some stuff on at Kohls last month and had to put on 16s and even some 18s. I like Fashion Bug, their clothes are made to fit real woman, not mannequins. Like someone else said, Levis seem to fit me the best.

I was so excited to be able to shop at fashion bug and now they are going out of business : ( sucks for me. Looks like K Mart or WalMart for me.