BREAKFAST BEFORE EXERCISE

Options

Replies

• yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    She's just a spam bot advertising, don't worry about her..
  • ZeroWoIf
    ZeroWoIf Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    Gaining mass, losing fat, losing muscle are all processes that the body adjusts to and that it doesn't happen right away. Your storage of glycogen in your muscles and liver is not spent as quickly as some may think. It is fine to train with nothing in your stomach. I personally have lifted with an empty stomach, and I have also lifted with a protein shake and maybe a bit of fruit in my stomach and is about the same. Then again I am use to train fasted early in the morning for 45 minutes in cardio and weights so anyone else may experience something different. Replenishing after the workout is definitely something very important to me, even with a simple 20-40 shake etc. Specially if you were fasted to begin with but not necessarily. You can eat your post workout meal in a larger time window than you may think. Anywhere from 2-4 hours sounds reasonable. If you feel depressed or cranky after a workout then that is a pretty good sign that you should be eating.
  • DonnaLeeCattes
    DonnaLeeCattes Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    I eat after my work out
  • NareenaTheGypsy
    NareenaTheGypsy Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    See I just thought that sitting down (or walking around while eating) before my workout would just make me want to stay upstairs (I workout in the basement) and in my warm, cozy pjs lol. I get up, fix my water bottle, take my daily vitamin (I've learned to at least take that one before a workout) and get dressed and head downstairs.
    After my workout I am sweating and panting and usually grinning ear to ear, lol. I get in the shower and use the few minutes to decide what I want for breakfast.. cereal, oatmeal, etc. Then I fix a small b'fast (1c of cereal, 1 pkg of oatmeal, 1/2c of fruit, etc) and I usually eat it on the way to work.
    I have learned that I am most definitely a creature of habit. The one time I decide to sit and eat b'fast before my workout, I would get on facebook or something and the next thing I know I would be late for work and never did the workout (or my shower!) at all. Workout first, then eat.. that's the only way I know for certain that I'll get it done, even if I am looking forward to it :)
  • Crochetluvr
    Crochetluvr Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    I am the exact opposite....if I don't eat I feel nauseous. You do what makes you feel more able to do that workout.
  • ktdid626
    ktdid626 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    yesterday I decided to lift first, and walk afterwards for thirty minutes. I drank a pre workout supplement that had caffeine and aminos which was added to water. I ate nothing before and nothing after. I'm trying something different for my body because I am not seeing results.

I think you have to do what works for you personally.

Good luck honey!
  • Marc713
    Marc713 Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    When I was in the Army, we would get up before the chickens, do all of our push ups, sit ups, squat thrusts, etc., then run a few miles, then hit the showers and march to breakfast. I was much younger, but it never killed me. Now that I'm older, I usually have more "gas in the tank" if I eat 'something' about 30 minutes before my workout. Usually I'll have some pistachios, a banana, or maybe a protein shake (Syntha 6) and I seem to have more endurance for my workout. I usually feel really light headed towards the end of my lifting set if I skip the calorie intake prior to workout.

Perhaps try a protein shake with water, not milk before the workout?
  • QueenofScott
    QueenofScott Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    I don't like to eat before I exercise either. I walk pretty earlly and I'm just not hungry yet. When I'm done, I enjoy I nice cup of coffee, then work up to eating breakfast. It works for me!
  • fat2fitKara
    Options
    Do whatever makes you feel best...

The reason we are not suppose to excercise/swim etc after eating because while we digest the "extra" blood in our body is sent to our stomach and digestive system to process the food. When we work out we are taking the blood needed for our digestive sytem and sending it to our muscles. From what I understand the nauseous feeling is due to the blood leaving our digestive system when it is necessary for digestion. Some people do not feel nauseous because everybodies digestive system is different and takes different amount of time to digest. Please correct me if I am wrong, I learned this information 4 years ago in a BIO 101 course lol
  • Lift_hard_eat_big
    Lift_hard_eat_big Posts: 2,278 Member
    Options
    No reason to eat anything when ever you don't feel like it. That is part of how we got fat in the first place.

I maintaining now, lot losing, but I still mostly skip breakfast and head to the gym. There is document here called the Vacation Body Blueprint which explains that if you work out in the morning fasted (zero calories, no cream in coffee) that your body produces HGH which gives you many benefits including helping you lose fat. I wrote about my experiment --> http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/745151-i-got-a-compliment-from-rusty-moore-from-fitness-black-book

I used to think I couldn't do this and felt weak and dizzy. I have friends who do this all the time and I would never do it because I thought it made me feel awful, but as I explained in the experiment I found it was more a mindset. I finally started doing it and I have sort of built up a tolerance for it, and now I actually can not stand to eat before working out. I have learned to enjoy it and I have quite strong workouts including HIIT running afterwards and lifting heavy. I find it pretty amazing actually.

Ever since I lost the 60 lbs at age 50 and kept it off for over a year and am the leanest and fittest I've ever been in my life..Never again will I let anyone tell me what to eat, when to eat, or how much to eat. I learned what works for me. I OWN IT. No one will ever pressure me to eat birthday cake at a party or anywhere else, I DECIDE. No one else decides for me. I eat when I want to eat and I don't eat when I don't want to eat.

Don't you ever get tired of promoting and giving terrible advice?
  • Illona88
    Illona88 Posts: 903 Member
    Options
    When I workout in the morning, I always have a banana or a crispbread with peanut butter.
    I always wake up so hungry, that if I don't eat soon I will get dizzy. So it's quite important that I at least eat something before working out.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    I exercise at least 4 out of 7 days, I do Jazzercise. My problem is I HATE to eat breakfast, especially before I work out. I have tried cereal, yogurt, toast, fruit. The only thing I want is coffee, it almost nauseates me to eat. Anybody else?

If you can perform fine in the gym without eating breakfast, then I'd suggest that you just don't eat breakfast since it sounds pretty clear to me that this is your preference.
  • iheartbiglasses
    Options
    It depends on what I'm going to do. If its weights, I will make myself a shake, but if its Zumba, where ill be jumping around..I'll have a piece of fruit.
  • megsmom2
    megsmom2 Posts: 2,362 Member
    Options
    I have breakfast after I get home from the gym...on work mornings. On day off mornings, its a leisurely breakfast, and a longer session at the gym later in the day. Doesn't seem to make much difference, I just don't like to do cardio with stuff in my stomach.
  • RobfromLakewood
    Options
    Whether my workout is ion the morning or the afternoon, if I can't have an hour before my workout to digest it down, food seems to sit in my gut and not let me perform my best. So give me .5-1 liter of water and something to eat 15-30 minutes after. Since most of my workouts are after work, I make a point to drink a V-8 or similar 60-90 minutes before the gym or bike ride and it keeps my hunger in check and strength going well.
  • leanne2376
    Options
    I eat eggs in the morning - cant start the day without breakfast - i cant skip any meal.

I tend to do my exercising at night rather than in the morning
  • LeggyAmericanGirl
    LeggyAmericanGirl Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    moral of this posting. experiment and find what works for you.

stop asking non professionals for advice

btw anyone can write a book I like Dr Suess :P:flowerforyou:
  • fat2fitKara
    Options
    moral of this posting. experiment and find what works for you.

stop asking non professionals for advice

btw anyone can write a book I like Dr Suess :P:flowerforyou:

She wasn't asking for advice, reread the original post and you will see that she was simply looking for others who have experienced similiar situations.
  • JoeLemke
    JoeLemke Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Even the thought of food in the morning makes me ill, but, i do my work outs in the morning, and following i have a whey protein shake to add protein to my work out. and by then my stomach can handle the shake which tides me over until lunch time.:wink:
  • DamnImASexyBitch
    DamnImASexyBitch Posts: 740 Member
    Options
    I can only do coffee and maybe a handful of dry cereal/granola before working out in the am.