"Best" Chip??

Options
Im sure there are probably no GOOD chips but I've been cravvving nachos lately and so I decided for my next 'cheat' meal we'll have some nachos...
Even though its a cheat type meal i'd still like it to be as low cal as possible so I wont go completely off the charts..

Just trying to figure out the best CHIP (and I dont really like making my own..) I could get...

I compared a couple and noticed the whole wheat seem to be higher in cal then the red fat...but maybe its still better for you?? Hmm!!

Any ideas???

Thx!

Replies

• ractayjon
    ractayjon Posts: 365
    Options
    I dont know what the "best" chip would be - however if you are eating a whole grain chip, baked not fried I think that you should be fine.
    My question is why are nachos a cheat meal? If you start out with a whole grain, baked chip and layer it with a lean protein, letuce, tomoatoes, olives, onions (or whatever vegetables you want) - watch the amount of cheese and sour cream you eat...this coudl actually be a healthy meal.
    Its all about how you think about...if you are craving the "nacho" taste...why not do a whole grain flatbread with all the toppings instead of nachos - it may be easier to control your portions that way.
  • lemonllama
    lemonllama Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I dont know what the "best" chip would be - however if you are eating a whole grain chip, baked not fried I think that you should be fine.
    My question is why are nachos a cheat meal? If you start out with a whole grain, baked chip and layer it with a lean protein, letuce, tomoatoes, olives, onions (or whatever vegetables you want) - watch the amount of cheese and sour cream you eat...this coudl actually be a healthy meal.
    Its all about how you think about...if you are craving the "nacho" taste...why not do a whole grain flatbread with all the toppings instead of nachos - it may be easier to control your portions that way.

Im not really into flatbread!! and Ill consider it a "cheat" I guess because its something special and more calories/sodium for one meal than usual (I usually try to have smaller meals all day)
    I dont intend it to be a pig out fest or anything =) Just going to count out the chips, measure the fat free beans, measure the cheese, measure the light sour cream, the same as usual, but just trying to find the best chip option out there!!
  • melanieann48111
    Options
    I always use the baked Tostito Scoops. They're yummy and they hold all the good stuff inside really well.
  • courtney_love2001
    courtney_love2001 Posts: 1,468 Member
    Options
    I just bought some Lay's Natural Organic blue corn tortilla chips. They are 7 chips for 140 cals (they're big chips though) and they are pretty tasty. Baked chips just don't do it for me. I do like pita chips, but they are just as caloric as regular chips. Perhaps less fat though! I just make an allowance for them in my allowance and I chow down. I love chips and could never give them up!!

As for regular chips, I get the Lay's Light, though olestra does not agree with some people :laugh:
  • smitchell37
    smitchell37 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I bought some baked Tortilla scoops bc there was a recipe in the biggest loser cookbook that called for them
  • ractayjon
    ractayjon Posts: 365
    Options

Im not really into flatbread!! and Ill consider it a "cheat" I guess because its something special and more calories/sodium for one meal than usual (I usually try to have smaller meals all day)
    I dont intend it to be a pig out fest or anything =) Just going to count out the chips, measure the fat free beans, measure the cheese, measure the light sour cream, the same as usual, but just trying to find the best chip option out there!!

Well in that case I say go for flavor - my favorite Tostitos with a hint of Lime - yum!
  • hurton
    hurton Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Garden of Eatin! Organic. Personally I think they are much tastier than Baked Tostitos. They have a variety of flavors too.
  • melanieann48111
    Options
    I saw that they have Tostitos with a hint of jalapeno too....oh, yum.
  • ltlhmom
    ltlhmom Posts: 1,202 Member
    Options
    When I grocery shopping today I saw some tortilla chips at Walmart they were by Quaker and were right next to the rice cakes. There were three flavors. I can't remember the calories but they weren't that bad. Check them out maybe these might help you.