Veg to have with Fish?

Options
Stocked up on loads of veg today, but am unsure what to use for dinner. I know I'm having fish (breaded haddock fillets) but that's about it. Anyone got any good recipes??

Veg I have:
Carrots, peas, parsnips, onion, leeks, squash, broccoli, peppers and swede.

Thanks! :D

Replies

• Meg_78
    Meg_78 Posts: 998 Member
    Options
    All of the above?

But seriously with a crumbbed fish I always like potatoes (usually just boiled served with a little butter or mashed) if you have mashed potatoes, then steamed (or boiled) carrots and peas and even broccoli is good pretty nice and traditional..You can also go with what I grew up calling "bubble and squeak" which is equal amounts of carrots and parsnips boiled together then mash them roughly (not a smooth mash, more of a chunky smash) with a little butter, S&P and that's nice too, then have it with steamed greens (the peas and broccoli)...For alternate veg side dishes, you can cut up the peppers and squash (chunky cut) and some chunky cut onion (or the leek) and garlic and drizzle some olive oil over and oven roast them to have on the side of any meat/fish/chicken dish, oven roasted carrots are great too. Swede goes well with other root veggies and the leek in a soup, esp if you make a hearty soup with chicken or meat bones.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    asparagus. pan fried, or in the oven.
  • SLLeask
    SLLeask Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    Roasted leeks with a low-fat cheese sauce, goes lovely with fish!
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options
    Carrots, peas, onion, squash, broccoli, peppers

Dice and dry or light fry with wild rice.
  • Bamagal36
    Options
    A potato for sure (not fried) but any of the veggies U named I would think was good. I haven't had parsnips in years..I'll have to look & see if I can find some. When I was a kid we put mayo on them. I have a problem as my freezer is pretty small & not allowed to have a bigger one. Living alone fresh doesn't keep long. What is swede?
    Dar
  • tratracee123
    tratracee123 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    You could grate the root vegetables and make yummy fritters, a egg would help hold them but you can make them without it.
  • lmelangley
    lmelangley Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    roasted broccoli! Put broccoli florets in a ziploc bag and toss with a little olive oil. Put in a pan sprayed with cooking spray and add a little garlic powder. Cook in a 410 degree oven about 20 minutes or so until the florets start to brown. Sprinkle with parmesan cheese.
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    Options
    What is swede?

https://www.google.co.uk/search?num=10&hl=en&site=imghp&tbm=isch&source=hp&biw=1260&bih=658&q=swede&oq=swede&gs_l=img.3..0l10.689.1317.0.1932.5.5.0.0.0.0.94.393.5.5.0...0.0...1ac.1.bXrOpYSRkOo

I ended up with mashed swede and carrots, and roasted broccoli, peppers, onion and leek. All with a homemade cheese sauce over the top :)
  • tommygirl15
    tommygirl15 Posts: 1,012 Member
    Options
    I work in a fish restaurant, we use alllll kinds of vegetables to go with the fish we cook, usually we keep in season. Here's a few; beets (both red and gold), heirloom carrots, red peppers, celery root, cauliflower, broccoli, beans, etc, etc. We also sometimes do a parsnip/potato mash which tastes really lovely with fish. Give it a try! :D
  • thebigcb
    thebigcb Posts: 2,210 Member
    Options
    Swede = Turnip
  • sgarrard01
    sgarrard01 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    BEST ROAST VEG!

Simply cut the parsnip and carrot into chunks, boil up the parsnip and carrot till tender, drain and shake to damage the surfaces, then place in a roasting tin with some red onion (cut into quaters), sprinkle over a little olive oil, and then librally cover with rosemery and thyme! Roast until golden!

GORGEOUS!... mmmmmmm! (making me hungry)

PS. this is terrable diet food but oooooh so good!
    PPS. this also would not really go with breaded haddock, but wanted to share anyway!