affordable high protein low fat and healthy carb foods

Options
I seem to be going over in fat but under in protein and im guessing "healthy" carbs...I just started and I do eat egg whites, spinach, salads, fruit etc. Any suggestions from some of yall that have been doing this for a while that will make my ratio healthier so i can get better results? also i really need to be economical right now lol:huh:

Replies

• Hermit4Hire
    Options
    I use a lot of pinto beans for extra protein with little or no fat (and they are very cheap!). You can boil them then add fresh ingredients (onions, mushrooms, peppers) to them, mix with rice (also cheap).

Good luck!
  • tbear358
    tbear358 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Hello! Here is an awesome link to Michi's ladder - a way of organizing foods so it tells you what is carb, fat, and protein and the best kinds of each. I shop at Walmart so I hear you on being wallet-friendly. I would also have to add that if you do wraps, a great pita bread is Joseph's Bakery bread. Its made with Omega-3 and flax so each wrap only has 9g of healthy carbs.

Other types of "good" carbs are veggies, 100% whole wheat bread and pasta, oatmeal, brown rice, fruits of course.

I also do food journaling through myfitnesspal.com so I can see the ratio. I try to aim for a 40F/30C/30P ratio although some will argue that no matter the ratio, as long as you're in your target calorie range, you're good.
  • tbear358
    tbear358 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Hello! Here is an awesome link to Michi's ladder - a way of organizing foods so it tells you what is carb, fat, and protein and the best kinds of each. I shop at Walmart so I hear you on being wallet-friendly. I would also have to add that if you do wraps, a great pita bread is Joseph's Bakery bread. Its made with Omega-3 and flax so each wrap only has 9g of healthy carbs.

Other types of "good" carbs are veggies, 100% whole wheat bread and pasta, oatmeal, brown rice, fruits of course.

I also do food journaling through myfitnesspal.com so I can see the ratio. I try to aim for a 40F/30C/30P ratio although some will argue that no matter the ratio, as long as you're in your target calorie range, you're good.
  • nolan_84
    Options
    It's funny because I have the opposite going on. Two days so far on this site, I've been over the protein and under the carbs & fat. I actually get more protein that I thought I did. A glass of milk here, a chicken breast there & all the sudden I'm at the number. Maybe get some whey protein from a fitness store or from wal-mart. You mix it with a smoothie or with a glass of milk (if you drink it) and there is an extra 10 or 20g of protein depending on how much you put in. That's my two cents.