SHAKEOLOGY: Is it just hype?

Options

Replies

• kelly_e_montana
    kelly_e_montana Posts: 1,999 Member
    Options
    Well I ordered the greenberry and chocolate individual packs. I eat clean and use it as one of my 6 daily meals. Actually I work nights and have to eat "dinner" right before I go to bed, so I decided to use Shakeology. It's definitely working for me for what I wanted it for, which was a quick healthy meal that would prevent me from having a binge right before bed. I love, love, love the choc with unsweetened vanilla almond milk and half of a banana or a tbsp of peanut butter. However, I think it's the "old" chocolate that everyone loved. My next order might be the "new" chocolate, which is supposedly not as good. I have found a way to make the greenberry okay with Tropicana 50 and frozen berries. The old chocolate is so good though that I actually CRAVE the taste! I hope I can still acquire it. I am NOT a Beachbody coach. I don't mind the cost. I would have spent that at Starbucks in the morning on something sweet or would have been craving chocolate, so it's well worth it to me to have the trade off.

I was drinking my own green smoothies with protein powder for the last six months but I simply could not force myself through one more day of blended kale or spinach.

Also, the reason I chose it is because the ingredient list is awesome and moreover, it relies on natural sweeteners instead of sucralose. Check your other options for unwanted artificial sweeteners.

I have also done Isagenix cleanses in the past and would be open to using Isagenix if it turns out I don't like the new version of chocolate Shakeology. But if you go Isagenix, IMHO, vanilla is better.

I ordered thru the Beachbody site and no one has ever asked me to buy anything else or to become a coach.
  • joehempel
    joehempel Posts: 1,761 Member
    Options
    I prefer not to drink my calories...I have teeth for a reason.

Alot of people like it, I hate the fact that you get bombarded constantly by Beachbody people when you buy from them. So if you like high pressure sales to go along with weight loss...the go for it...just be prepared to not eat a few meals because it's so damn expensive.

(note this my experience with beachbody coaches, not all are the same)
  • zachatta
    zachatta Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    If you want a meal replacement shake:

Protein Powder (you can choose it generally doesn't matter what kind, some are better some are worse)
    Milk

Profit.
  • lkokot
    lkokot Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    You can just buy powder protein like BSN Syntha-6 and it will be preatty much the same thing while cheaper and taste way better.
  • enewsome2
    enewsome2 Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    Total hype.

Any commercial diet product is pretty much a waste of time. Believe me, I've done HCG, cleanses (multiple), liquid diet, skinny ***** diet... etc, etc.

The best way to lose weight is to make lifestyle changes. I have gotten to the lowest weight of my adult life by running a couple of days a week, and eating 80% healthy food/ 20% "splurge" food.
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,583 Member
    Options
    if you can't continue it for the rest of your life, what's the point? Eating healthy + exercise. They'll eventually go out of business and take the other craptacular products with them that prey on the "I wanna get skinny quick!" crowd... and when they fall, what will all of these folks do?
  • BarbellBlondieRuns
    BarbellBlondieRuns Posts: 511 Member
    Options
    Ask a coach for a couple samples first. I tried it. I liked the flavor but am allergic to something in it. Made me puke my guts out each time I tried it. I have issues with protein powders in general - not sure what the ingredient is that I can't tolerate.

Anyway, if you like it - check ebay.
  • lostemt
    lostemt Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    I know people who credit their weight loss to shakeology. Anything beachbody is worth it but I'm not parting with my hard earned cash so easily at the moment. Do what is best for you. Body Fortress and Pure Protein work for me.

I do believe in their workout programs and the company. They know their stuff.

I so agree
  • lgschutt
    lgschutt Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I have been drinking Shakeology for over a year.....yes, I am overweight and I do use it as a meal replacement *sometimes* BUT the main reason I drink it is because it makes me feel better!!! I have lost 38# since April from exercising and eating healthy. I am not perfect with my choices or lack of choices on some days and the Shakeology gives me what I need plus I don't don't additional supplements/vitamins as Shakeology gives me what I need. I am in agreement as you must eat healthy, must exercise, live a healthier lifestyle in order to lose weight/maintain, absolutely NO quick fixes BUT my Chocolate Shakeology is my go to mid morning snack most days. It is expensive and I do run out of it due to lack of $$ but I make it a priority because *I* am worth it :) I am day 66 of a 90 day P90X challenge, down almost 10# and 12" in 60 days, their work out programs are awesome!!
  • AmandaTWaH
    AmandaTWaH Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    I've tried one flavor and it was tasty. I did feel better while drinking it. I quit when my I asked my BeachBody coach for a sample of a new flavor and they wanted to charge me $10 for it. Umm... if you want my money, there has to be some give and take here.
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't touch anything by Beach Body.

It's all hype, buzz words and clever marketing.

Eating right and exercising is government/doctor approved.

In this country, where they supply health care to everybody, (lose money for every sick person and eventually obesity is going to cripple the NHS) guess what they recommend?

MFP is free. You can eat what you want and learn all about nutrition, exercise and support from the boards.
    And did I say it's free?

Any meal replacement is going to teach you nothing about eating healthy, and most plans are so low calories that you're going to lose a substantial amount of lean mass.
  • cgarand
    cgarand Posts: 541 Member
    Options
    I really enjoy Shakeology, I just wish I could afford it! When I do treat myself though I think it helps control my cravings and I feel pretty well nourished and energized.
  • Bethie_B
    Bethie_B Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    OP: you'll find that the responses you get that are very pro-Shakeology are the coaches who want to sell it to you. Don't listen to them. You can get meal replacement shakes on your own, without a marketing scheme, and for a fraction of the price.
  • escloflowneCHANGED
    escloflowneCHANGED Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    ^^^ Salesman or woman for the politically correct!
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    OP: you'll find that the responses you get that are very pro-Shakeology are the coaches who want to sell it to you. Don't listen to them. You can get meal replacement shakes on your own, without a marketing scheme, and for a fraction of the price.

Yes. BEWARE THE PYRAMID.

It's like a drug. They buy it, they want it, it's expensive, so they end up selling it so they can afford it. I've seen how the pyramids work. Unlike more savvy drug dealers (never get high on your own stuff), the people looking for jobs by selling Beachbody, are actually encouraged to take the stuff, so they can be a walking advertisement for it.

I JUST NEED A FIX MAN! YOU KNOW I'M GOOD FOR IT! JUST A CUP!!!
  • kikicooks
    kikicooks Posts: 1,079 Member
    Options

Not true. I'm not a coach and I like Shakeology(well not the green or pink lol). Yes, I think eating real food is a better option but sometimes a quick shake is a nice option. I like how the chocolate tastes with milk, and even better adding banana and it's filling. I think it's way too expensive though so I won't be buying anymore.

Just like anything, it's up to the individual person. I don't think it should be used as a 'diet' food but see nothing wrong with it as an occasional meal replacement if you like it and can afford it.
  • wrevhn
    wrevhn Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    Hubs and I loved it, but not the cost of it. We are switching to Ideal Shape.
  • newmooon56
    newmooon56 Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    I don't know what it is! Can you explain please so I don't feel so stupid.

I suppose I could google it..........

Its this meal replacement shake sold by beachbody. They claim it is the best thing since sliced bread and that if you drink it daily all the pretty women are going to come over your house half naked and bring free beer. Seriously though, it looks like a glorified superfood, but they want $120.00 for a 30 day supply!! WTF! If people are seeing a difference and think its worth it, maybe I'll give it a try. But dont want to blow the dough when I could just go to the supermarket and get Odwalla Superfood for $8.

Research how to make a decent protein shake and dont believe the hype. I always think when I hear of the next best thing- has it caught on in ALL circles?? NO? why? no good reason except eating FOOD works- THAT we know.

I doubted cell phones back in the day- but they did pick up and of course I have one.
    I doubted pretty much every diet aid/pill/drink/contraption - and to this day I have been right about that- NONE are the next best thing- NONE have risen to a level of fame that would prove their worth. Never heard of shakesuckolgy until coming to this sight - and when I look around other sights I still dont see it.

Slim fast has been on the market forever- must be the next best thing! - get it?
  • Bethie_B
    Bethie_B Posts: 292 Member
    Options

Not true. I'm not a coach and I like Shakeology(well not the green or pink lol). Yes, I think eating real food is a better option but sometimes a quick shake is a nice option. I like how the chocolate tastes with milk, and even better adding banana and it's filling. I think it's way too expensive though so I won't be buying anymore.

Just like anything, it's up to the individual person. I don't think it should be used as a 'diet' food but see nothing wrong with it as an occasional meal replacement if you like it and can afford it.

Right, and using your words " I think it's way too expensive though so I won't be buying anymore." You're not saying that it's the most miraculous product of all time and totally worth the expense blah blah blah. The coaches do that. Constantly.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    I was thinking about getting the shakeology as a meal replacement, then fainted at the site of the price. To anyone that has tried it, is it worth the price or is just hype?

Just hype, the profile is actually not all that great esp considering the price of it. You could get something very comparable for much much cheaper