water fasting

Options

Replies

• untouchable86
    Options
    you are probably going to get a lot of negative responses on here..... Most people don't have any experience with it and are not educated about it. I have water fasted, I have also juice fasted or just ate fruit or just fruits and vegetables for an extended period of time with amazing results for certain heath problems I was having. Clear skin, perfect digestion, clear thinking, better mood afterwards, you just have to do your research and do it right. It does take a lot of will power though.

Juicing is not a true fast as Juicing is the same diet as being a Vegan. The only difference is one requires you to drink your food instead of eating it.
    i agree
  • positivepineapple
    positivepineapple Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    you are probably going to get a lot of negative responses on here..... Most people don't have any experience with it and are not educated about it. I have water fasted, I have also juice fasted or just ate fruit or just fruits and vegetables for an extended period of time with amazing results for certain heath problems I was having. Clear skin, perfect digestion, clear thinking, better mood afterwards, you just have to do your research and do it right. It does take a lot of will power though.

Juicing is not a true fast as Juicing is the same diet as being a Vegan. The only difference is one requires you to drink your food instead of eating it.

its incredibly healthy to give your liver and digestive system a rest... When the body isn't focused on digesting it turns its attention to getting rid of damaged and diseased tissues and cells, healing and cleansing toxins.

The liver can't filter out all the crap we breath in and drink, pesticides preservatives and artificial ingredients were not meant for our bodies and very unhealthy over the long term. Not to mention ever the counter and illegal drug, pollution in out air and water and all that.... Its not natural and our livers an only handle so much.

just make sure you do your own research, there's a few really good videos on YouTube of people who have done it.

also you might try googling banana island.... Pretty amazing stuff. Just keep an open mind and educate yourself....

There are a lot of benefits to fasting but some of what you say sounds like a fairytale. Posting real fasting research from science journals can get your post some respect instead of making a wild claim with nothing to back you up.

well I'm too lazy to do that.... That's why I said do your own research... That's how I figured it out for myself. And at least I answered the op question.
  • Jester522
    Jester522 Posts: 392
    Options
    I fast 20 hours a day and consume all my calories in a 4 hour window post-workout.

Meal frequency doesn't matter as long as you meet your macro/micronutrient quota for a 24 hour period and keep feeding window fairly consistent.

EDIT: should have read further down, misinterpreted the original question.
  • mprezn
    mprezn Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    haha.. id be so bad at that!! it doesnt sound good either. Cant you drown yourself from having too much water?
    I get bad tummy pains and back pain when i dont eat.
  • opuntia
    opuntia Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    I've done it. I've found it to be very beneficial for my health and energy and also my skin, so long as I have chance to rest while doing it. It gives the body a rest - while the body doesn't have to digest food, you go into rest and restoration mode rather than growth mode. If you watch the BBC documentary 'Eat, Fast and Live Longer', it talks about the research that is currently being done on fasting, and the ways it is being found to increase health and longevity. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pfna7nV7WaM
  • eljulia
    eljulia Posts: 40
    Options
    i know that even with just following a juicing diet for a couple of weeks will go a long way to detox--have you seen "Fat, Sick, and Nearly Dead"? Very interesting. Even they have an absolute lack of energy in the first few days of detoxing, so i'm wondering what would be the physical effect of a water fast? Like, what would it do to blood sugar etc.?
  • untouchable86
    Options
    I've done it. I've found it to be very beneficial for my health and energy and also my skin, so long as I have chance to rest while doing it. It gives the body a rest - while the body doesn't have to digest food, you go into rest and restoration mode rather than growth mode. If you watch the BBC documentary 'Eat, Fast and Live Longer', it talks about the research that is currently being done on fasting, and the ways it is being found to increase health and longevity. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pfna7nV7WaM
    thank you! im gonna check it out now
  • Jester522
    Jester522 Posts: 392
    Options
    I fast 20 hours a day and consume all my calories in a 4 hour window post-workout.

Meal frequency doesn't matter as long as you meet your macro/micronutrient quota for a 24 hour period and keep feeding window fairly consistent.

Juice fasting is not fasting. Fasting means zero caloric intake.
  • opuntia
    opuntia Posts: 860 Member
    Options

Juice fasting is not fasting. Fasting means zero caloric intake.

A lot of people seem to think that on this site, but actually the OED definition of fasting is 'To abstain from food, or to restrict oneself to a meagre diet'.
  • Mini_Medic
    Mini_Medic Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/66-intermittent-fasting

leangains.com
    theiflife.com
    eatstopeat.com
    http://bradpilon.com/

I do intermittent fasting. My version involves water fasting from breakfast one day to breakfast the next (24hrs) and I really enjoy eating this way. I consume about 300-500 calories on the morning I start my fast and I drink only water until the same time the next day. Google IF (intermittent fasting) or ADF/EOD (alternate day fasting/every other day) fasting. Another fitness guru's program "Eat, stop, eat" is really good reading also. There is tons of information about it online.

I chose to do 24hr water fasts twice a week. I eat healthy for the most part the rest of the week. I lose weight consistently, and I have not lost lean body mass because 24hrs is not long enough to put one into starvation mode.

Read up, make an informed decision and figure out what works for you. People will have opinions on both ends, but what matters is how you feel about what you are doing with your body.
  • untouchable86
    Options

leangains.com
    theiflife.com
    eatstopeat.com

I do intermittent fasting. My version involves water fasting from breakfast one day to breakfast the next (24hrs) and I really enjoy eating this way. I consume about 300-500 calories on the morning I start my fast and I drink only water until the same time the next day. Google IF (intermittent fasting) or ADF/EOD (alternate day fasting/every other day) fasting. Another fitness guru's program "Eat, stop, eat" is really good reading also. There is tons of information about it online.

I chose to do 24hr water fasts twice a week. I eat healthy for the most part the rest of the week. I lose weight consistently, and I have not lost lean body mass because 24hrs is not long enough to put one into starvation mode.

Read up, make an informed decision and figure out what works for you. People will have opinions on both ends, but what matters is how you feel about what you are doing with your body.
    love this!! i just watched a video about adf that a previous poster posted. i absolutely love the benifits from doing this. and i think im going to give it a try!.. all people who think this is stupid of dangerous or just plain stupid really should watch this video. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pfna7nV7WaM
  • Love_flowers
    Love_flowers Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    The liver detoxes the body - that's it's job. Completely depriving yourself of food seems ridiculous.

This! :drinker:
  • danaweston
    Options
    Would you feed your children just water? You should not feed their mother just water either. Take one day at a time, exercise daily, eat within your calorie limits for YOUR body, and focus on health. You do not become overweight overnight and you cannot take it off safely overnight either.

Best wishes!

YES THIS ^^^^^^^^^

11613466.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • Iron_Feline
    Iron_Feline Posts: 10,750 Member
    Options

leangains.com
    theiflife.com
    eatstopeat.com

love this!! i just watched a video about adf that a previous poster posted. i absolutely love the benifits from doing this. and i think im going to give it a try!.. all people who think this is stupid of dangerous or just plain stupid really should watch this video. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pfna7nV7WaM

Ah yes - a TV documentary - must be true then. FFS.

Edit - having watched it my opinion has not changed, The prolonged (water based) fasting was based on one man's study, based on the link that since a certain group of people with a genetic abnormality that makes them have low IGF 1 (among other things) live longer therefore low ifg makes you live longer - really. Following this logic, since they were also very short - therefore being short makes you live longer :grumble: With no clear comparisons, no mention of variables such as exercise etc. The man who gives the presenter advice on the prolonged fasting says he doesn't enjoy it, AND they stated it is dangerous and should only be done under supervision. Sounds great. :noway:

The intermittent fasting had slightly better studies to back it up - which makes sense. And I never commented on intermittent fasting - I only said the water based fasting was stupid and imho dangerous. Something that that the documentary actually backed up.

Oh and please remember we are not mice and this is proven by many studies where when they switched to clinical human trials the results are not the same. And don't forget that since these are new studies they can't say we will live longer based on this as they haven't been going long enought to know!
  • Mads1997
    Mads1997 Posts: 1,494 Member
    Options
    Would you feed your children just water? You should not feed their mother just water either. Take one day at a time, exercise daily, eat within your calorie limits for YOUR body, and focus on health. You do not become overweight overnight and you cannot take it off safely overnight either.

Best wishes!
    yea thanks but i wasnt planning on doing this to lose weight.. thats stupid. lol im just curious about this.. i probably would never do this myself.

How quickly you changed your mind LOL
  • sandra152
    Options
    Sound addvice Mads do not fast !!!!! Iam doing the same as you and have lost 1st since June
  • untouchable86
    Options

Best wishes!
    yea thanks but i wasnt planning on doing this to lose weight.. thats stupid. lol im just curious about this.. i probably would never do this myself.

How quickly you changed your mind LOL

lol hey im a woman im allowed to change my mind haha. but no i still stick behind what i said.. i probably will not do the 100 percent water fast.. i am however considering doing the " adf" or the "if" fasting
  • Davie_ege
    Davie_ege Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    dear Untouchables86,

I have been Water Fasting for 9 days, its hard. Thankfully I'm married but we have no children, as I don't think I could manage to look after anyone else but me whilst I take this journey. My husband is a loving and supportive man who has spent nine days doing his own cooking, so that I don't have to. I was 30 kilos overweight when I started this, and I suffer from Gilbert's syndrome, which tends to toxify my body if I'm not super careful about my eating habits, and over the last 5 years I haven't been. I've tried ever eating plan and lifestyle going, I've exercised an hour a day for a week and then been too exhausted and defeated to continue. This isn't my last chance, but it does feel like my last resort. I'm so tired of feeling ill and being heavy, I want to be healthy again and get back to the 80 kilos I was before I met my husband. The body can survive without food for up to 40 days, jeez, plenty of people do it for religious reasons! Yes, I do suffer with cravings and the first week was the worst, but I'm writing this less tired, more energetic and eager to go about my day. The body DOES need to rest, the intestines need time to rest, from processing food. There are lots of health benefits from Water Fasting, anywhere from eliminating arthritis pain to eliviating depression. I know this comes a bit late, but don't let others stop you from doing something if you feel its necessary for your well-being.
  • MinimalistShoeAddict
    MinimalistShoeAddict Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options
    There are two key points here:

1. The goal of water fasting is to detox and/or help break an addiction to unhealthy foods. The purpose is NOT weight loss as most (but not all) of the weight loss is water weight which will be quickly regained.

2. Water fasting is not the same as juice fasting. Google "ketosis" for more information about why consuming calories from juices will prevent the fat burning ketosis that occurs in water fasting after about 48-72 hours.