Extra skin?

Options
2»

Replies

• AbsoluteNG
    AbsoluteNG Posts: 1,079 Member
    Options
    I found something interesting, not directly related to skin elasticity but I think it's close enough. The professor basically said both cardio and strength training is good for keeping you young. He didn't rate which one is better then the other.

http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/03/02/can-exercise-keep-you-young/
    The researchers were surprised by the magnitude of the impact that exercise had on the animals’ aging process, Dr. Tarnopolsky said. He and his colleagues had expected to find that exercise would affect mitochondrial health in muscles, including the heart, since past research had shown a connection. They had not expected that it would affect every tissue and bodily system studied.

Other studies, including a number from Dr. Tarnopolsky’s own lab, have also found that exercise affects the course of aging, but none has shown such a comprehensive effect. And precisely how exercise alters the aging process remains unknown. In this experiment, running resulted in an upsurge in the rodents’ production of a protein known as PGC-1alpha, which regulates genes involved in metabolism and energy creation, including mitochondrial function. Exercise also sparked the repair of malfunctioning mitochondria through a mechanism outside the known repair pathway; in these mutant mice, that pathway didn’t exist, but their mitochondria were nonetheless being repaired.

Dr. Tarnopolsky is currently overseeing a number of experiments that he expects will help to elucidate the specific physiological mechanisms. But for now, he said, the lesson of his experiment and dozens like it is unambiguous. “Exercise alters the course of aging,” he said.

Although in this experiment, the activity was aerobic and strenuous, Dr. Tarnopolsky is not convinced that either is absolutely necessary for benefits. Studies of older humans have shown that weightlifting can improve mitochondrial health, he said, as can moderate endurance exercise. Although there is probably a threshold amount of exercise that is necessary to affect physiological aging, Dr. Tarnopolsky said, “anything is better than nothing.” If you haven’t been active in the past, he continued, start walking five minutes a day, then begin to increase your activity level.
  • anemoneprose
    anemoneprose Posts: 1,805 Member
    Options
    Both those articles are interesting, thank you for sharing them. (I'm all for DOMs just going away, and am 100% pro extending my life:) About skin particularly... I'm not sure it's possible to extrapolate (well, it is, you have :) , but I don't have a biology background.

I do know that most doctors are pessimistic about much of anything making a difference, other than time (minimally) & some kind of body lift, which is only recommended for people who've lost in the 100s of pounds. Or, just building up enough muscle to fill in a space. (The irony there is that the most-often recommended way of shifting body composition involves cut and bulk cycles, which cause further stress to skin.)

I have heard about lasers maybe having a *temporary* (if expensive) tightening effect

About dry brushing, I agree :)