lose the wheat, lose the weight

Options
What are your thoughts about this, MFP community?

Replies

• ashleybr1980
    ashleybr1980 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    bump
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Let me guess, you read "Wheat Belly"?
  • Illona88
    Illona88 Posts: 903 Member
    Options
    Bull, if you ask me.
  • Josephina57
    Josephina57 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    yawn.
  • braga1992
    Options
    Whole wheat is good for you. If its not refined, its gods food.
  • Flab2fitfi
    Flab2fitfi Posts: 1,349 Member
    Options
    I've been a coeliac for over 20 years and therefore no wheat but I still managed to get 7 stone overweight.
  • tipoo
    tipoo Posts: 11
    Options
    Macros and calories > everything else.
  • Elen_Sia
    Elen_Sia Posts: 638 Member
    Options
    Bull dong x 2.
  • TheVimFuego
    TheVimFuego Posts: 2,412 Member
    Options
    We don't need it, helps for some, but not a magic bullet, of course you can put on weight without wheat (duh!), try for 30 days, what's to lose?
  • danni_l
    danni_l Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    I cut it out due to intolerence and Ive lost 3kgs and counting.
    That said I eat pretty healthily 99% of the time.
    If you cut out wheat, but still eat processed, fatty unhealthy foods you arent going to loose.
  • emcwilli
    emcwilli Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Interesting. I haven't actually read it, but have run across the idea a couple of times because it's getting so much press these days. I'm generally skeptical of these things because what it recommended seems to change so fast, and I dunno whether whatever findings this guy presents have been replicated, or what his motives are (sellin' books?) So, thought I'd see whether the folks on here who know more about nutrition than myself thought it was bull or not.
    Thanks for your thoughts!
  • jen_fitnhappy
    jen_fitnhappy Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I gave it a try with great hopes for two months. Ate healthy the entire time (no processed junk, etc). Didn't lose any weight :(
  • EatClenTrenHard
    EatClenTrenHard Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    Oats are wheat too? if not, then yes, lose wheat. useless , just as rice or pasta or noodles or potatoes
  • jesp1216
    jesp1216 Posts: 100
    Options
    for me there is no choice! I'm actually allergic to wheat! ..found out after being sick for so long.. i lost 40lbs without cutting it out when i was allergic to it, and gained 25 back after cutting it out! it's complete crap! everyone's body is different!
  • teinepalagi
    teinepalagi Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    As someone with celiac disease.....I don't find there is a compelling reason to remove wheat from your diet unless there is a medical indication. I believe the reasaon why people lose weight initially is it takes out most of the high calorie low nutrition foods (i.e., cake, cookies, crackers, anything fried, etc.....)

But believe me, you can still gain weight and eat an entirely unhealthy diet gluten-free. Icecream, for the most part, is gluten free. So are M&M's. Eat those in excess and you will gain weight.
  • irisheyez718
    irisheyez718 Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    I like wheat.
  • rm7161
    rm7161 Posts: 505
    Options
    I've been a coeliac for over 20 years and therefore no wheat but I still managed to get 7 stone overweight.

Diagnosed in 2002, I am a walking testament to gluten free weight gain!

Whole wheat is good for you. If you don't have celiac disease or gluten intolerance, there is no reason to cut it out. If I could eat it I would!
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    Unless you medically have a reason to not eat it then I personally don't see a reason to avoid it.. I sure haven't and have lost a couple pounds.... Best of Luck
  • restoreleanne
    restoreleanne Posts: 217 Member
    Options

Diagnosed in 2002, I am a walking testament to gluten free weight gain!

Whole wheat is good for you. If you don't have celiac disease or gluten intolerance, there is no reason to cut it out. If I could eat it I would!

Diagnosed in 2005 I gain 50 pound the 1st couple months going gluten free.
  • _Kitten_Kate
    _Kitten_Kate Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    I tried it.. still do for the most part. I started out by looking into Primal... and went from there.
    Read the book. "It starts with food... the whole 30"... read Primal blueprint..skimmed it really. Bought Wheat Belly but haven't read it yet.
    But I have never done the strict "WHOLE 30" plan. I just cut out those processed grains and carbs 90% of the time.
    I never cut out dairy.. but did cut down.
    But if I do eat grains.. it would most likely be in the form of bread. And I try to shoot for whole grain....minimally processed.

Not to put TMI on the table.. but with cutting out processed bread.. whole wheat... beans... etc... I am no longer gaseous.
    That's about the only thing it did for me.

None of it made me lose any more... I am losing slowly regardless...

It may work for some and not others...
    Read something once about eating for your blood type... and the "O's" are the type that would benefit supposedly from eating "primal".

Everyone will have an opinion... and some are stronger than others.
    With the Primal thing for me... it was hard to stay under that 50g of carbs. ... which is what they say will make you lose. But I love fruit..... and that's carby!!!

Try it... there may be something you can take away from it that will better your life.... never know!!