One Pound of Fat = Seven Miles of Blood Vessels

Options
480423_372079629533053_1133462711_n.jpg

Seven Miles of New Blood Vessels for Every Pound of Fat Gained

"When you gain a pound of fat, your body makes seven new miles of blood vessels. This means your body must work harder to pump blood through all of these extra new vessels, which may put a strain on your heart, and may reduce oxygenation and nutrient replenishment in other tissues. Fortunately, if you lose a pound, your body will break down and re-absorb the now unnecessary vessels.

These are mostly tiny capillaries, but these new vessels also include mini veins and arteries called venules and arterioles. For every ten pounds of fat gained, your heart has to pump blood through an additional 70 miles of blood vessels! Consequently, it is not difficult to see why obesity and heart disease go hand in hand. The good news, however, is that the reverse is also true - for every pound of fat lost, your body breaks down and reabsorbs 7 miles of vessels!

This can be really reassuring if you're trying to lose weight. 1 pound may not look like a lot of weight lost on the outside, but it has innumerable health benefits. It can even reduce your chances of getting breast cancer, ovarian cancer, or prostate cancer."

http://www.omg-facts.com/view/Facts/28212

Replies

• thethingirlinside
    Options
    Now theres some motivation .yuck
  • snarf432
    snarf432 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Great info.... thanks
  • Leeska
    Leeska Posts: 12
    Options
    This helps put things into prospective. Thanks for posting!
  • lilpoindexter
    lilpoindexter Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    So where did the capilaries go now that I lost 40lbs overall?
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    Fortunately, if you lose a pound, your body will break down and re-absorb the now unnecessary vessels.

That's what I wondered - what happens to all these vessels when the fat goes away? Are there 490 miles of vessels kicking back and waiting for the hockey strike to end?:laugh:
  • I_wanna_live
    I_wanna_live Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    wow
  • ghostpixie
    ghostpixie Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Something to think about.....
    1258936 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    That's why the body is amazing - constantly monitering and making adjustments. I <3 biology