Going over on Protein goal

Options
My daily protein goal is 50g daily. I have been eating very healthy, and most days staying under my calorie, fat, and carb goals. I am finding that my protein intake is sometimes 5-10g above my goal each day. I have been told in the past to try and eat protein with every meal, because it holds your appetite better and gives energy. I feel great and have lost weight so far, but am just wondering if to much protein is bad. Any ideas??

Replies

• TheMaidOfAstolat
    TheMaidOfAstolat Posts: 3,222 Member
    Options
    My daily protein goal is 50g daily. I have been eating very healthy, and most days staying under my calorie, fat, and carb goals. I am finding that my protein intake is sometimes 5-10g above my goal each day. I have been told in the past to try and eat protein with every meal, because it holds your appetite better and gives energy. I feel great and have lost weight so far, but am just wondering if to much protein is bad. Any ideas??

Excess protein isn't a huge deal...just don't go over by a large amount (say 30-40 grams over). Also, pair protein with good complex carbs...whole grain brown rice, quinoa, whole grain breads, ect. Also, you should never go under 1200 cals...doing so will cause your body to starve itself. Eat at least 1/2 your excercise cals if not all of them.
  • safiresp04
    Options
    Don't worry about going over on protein. Protein is essential for rebuilding muscle and losing weight. When you lose weight, some of it is always muscle - no matter what - so you want to rebuild muscle & preserve as much as you can. Protein helps you do that. Always make sure you're eating lean protein - boneless/skinless chicken, turkey, fish, etc. Also, if you're doing any weight lifting/training, you want to make sure you're getting enough to help your body repair afterwards.
  • geicko
    geicko Posts: 151
    Options
    By default, MFP will set your daily protein goal to 15% of your calories but you can override these defaults if you feel you are doing great consuming 20% (mine is set to 25% ). This way you won't constantly feel you're going over :)
  • MacMadame
    MacMadame Posts: 1,893 Member
    Options
    "Too much" protein is really hard to actually get. Women are generally advised to get 55-65 g of protein a day unless they have gone through menopause. In one study, people consumed 2.8 grams of protein for every kg of body weight and had no issues. So, if you weigh 150, that's 190 grams of protein!!