Sunday opinion. Should a man wear cologne to an

Options
Office interview?

Replies

• FlaxMilk
    FlaxMilk Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    Yes, but a very subtle, conservative amount, and only if he wants to.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    I probably wouldn't. I don't like the smell of most cologne - it gives me a headache. You never know who is going to be in the interview room, why risk it?
  • nikinyx6
    nikinyx6 Posts: 772 Member
    Options
    depends, is the office a scent free environment? Many are now, and it could cost you the job....
  • ReesesPuffs
    Options
    Maybe if you stink. Check out if the interviewer is a chick though as she might think you're attempting to charm her.

this is from experience.
  • Awkward30
    Awkward30 Posts: 1,927 Member
    Options
    Only if he can put on a very small amount.

If it were me, I'd just ride the elevator for 5 minutes and all the residual cologne should make you smell nice without being overpowering. lol
  • tannyasawyer
    tannyasawyer Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Sure, why not! Wear a little, yes. Bathe in it OTOH...
  • 1234terri
    1234terri Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    NONONONONONONONO. or anywhere, for that matter.
  • Tiff050709
    Tiff050709 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    I say just do some body wash. That way you smell good but not overpowering. I HATE when a man wears too much cologne.
  • Bentley2718
    Bentley2718 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    No, many people are allergic to fragrances, so you should avoid them on interviews where you might make the person interviewing you ill. The same goes for women. Bathe, wear clean clothes, put on deodorant, no need to smell "nice" (that's in quotes, because on top of giving me a terrible headache, I think most "fragrances" smell like *kitten*).
  • Debbe2
    Debbe2 Posts: 2,071 Member
    Options
    No, sorry. Dealing with this now and can tell you that there's a man I would like to hire but the three times we've met I cannot get past his cologne which seems to be getting stronger and I don't like it. Since I'm doing the hiring I keep thinking how I would have to smell the cologne and I really don't want to be unfair but I can't imagine daily doses of it.
  • anrev42
    anrev42 Posts: 331
    Options
    a little dab....subtle scent.
  • mfpseven
    mfpseven Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    soap is a charming scent on a man, just go freshly showered
  • becs_91
    becs_91 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    soap is a charming scent on a man, just go freshly showered

This! I would say definitely no to the cologne.
  • jaharrison763
    jaharrison763 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    No. Just be clean.
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options
    Depends on the scent. There are some that are very work-oriented and others that are for fun. For instance, Paco Rabanne's XS and Davidoff's Cool Water are sensible, "officey" scents while Joop's Play and Hermes' Terre d'Hermes are the sort of scents you'd wear to a bar.

In either case, you wouldn't wear a lot - if you smell like you took a bath in it, you've put on too much!
  • Illona88
    Illona88 Posts: 903 Member
    Options
    Cologne can be too strong quite quick.

Just take a shower, so you can show up fresh.
  • lachesissss
    lachesissss Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    I've always been told that its a faux pas to wear cologne/ perfume on interviews. But that being said, I have a certain scent that gives me swagger, so I go with a light squirt somewhere lower on my body, so it's not IN YOUR FACE, but I can still smell it.
  • Legs_McGee
    Legs_McGee Posts: 845 Member
    Options
    NONONONONONONONO. or anywhere, for that matter.

Totally agree^^^^. Ugh - I hate colognes and perfumes. Just shower and slap on some deodorant.
  • Allie_71
    Allie_71 Posts: 1,063 Member
    Options
    I would say no. Freshly showered, clean, deodorant. That's it.

Chances are the interviewer's olfactory nerves have been assaulted by any number of colognes that day, and they'll be grateful that they won't have to encounter another.

I'm most likely biased however, as I dislike cologne of any sort.
  • JennyLisT
    JennyLisT Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    If the person interviewing you is as sensitive to scents as I am, it will only screw you. If I'm nursing a headache and trying to resist the urge to vomit, my impression of you will not be favorable.

If you want to make a good impression scent-wise, just don't smell like you rolled around in your trash.

More generally, men (and women) should really watch it on what they wear. Less is usually more.