What the heck is in Weight Watchers food?

Options
I was gonna pick up the Weight Watchers single serve ice cream cups at the grocery today and while I was reading the calories I noticed at the bottom it said EXCESSICE CONSUMPTION MAY HAVE A LAXATIVE EFFECTIVE. I could eat a whole gallon of Blue Bell ice cream and while I may puke my guts up it won't have a laxative effect. Does anyone know what they put in that stuff???:huh:

Replies

• SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    hehe, sugar alcohol. It can be a bit rough.
  • lawkat
    lawkat Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    It probably contains maltito or some kind of sugar replacement. It can be found in sugar free candy and it can have a laxative effect. My grandmother made that mistake after we told her to only a piece here and there, but she consumed half the box of chocolates.
  • LittleSpy
    LittleSpy Posts: 6,754 Member
    Options
    There's all kinds of crazy stuff in a lot of food -- especially sugar free/fat free/low calorie food.

I've heard even Splenda has a "laxative effect" in some people. Remember those Olestra chips? Yeah, they're making a comeback, and they definitely have a "laxative effect" when consumed excessively.

IMHO, you'd be much better off sticking to a 1/2 cup serving of *REAL* ice cream (plus it tastes so much better!). :smile:
  • courtney_love2001
    courtney_love2001 Posts: 1,468 Member
    Options
    I eat the Lay's light chips w/olestra. I have never noticed a laxative effect, though I only eat one serving a day at the most. I would hate to think what would happen if I ate a ton of them! :laugh:

I tried the light ice cream route, and I just can't do it. That stuff isn't creamy enough for me. So, I got Hagen Daaz five vanilla and it is the best ice cream ever!! Though, I don't have a problem with sweets and I'm ok just taking a few bites every few days :bigsmile: It could be dangerous in the wrong hands :laugh:
  • stormieweather
    stormieweather Posts: 2,549 Member
    Options
    Try 'no sugar added' ice cream. It's fabulous and while certainly not low fat, it's comparable to light or low fat and it has much less sugar in it.
  • fit2sit
    fit2sit Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Sorbitol. Try to stay away from the stuff. Although, if you work in an office that has a candy bowl thief (like I do), put out a big bowl of sugar free goodies loaded with sorbitol and put them out, they'll leave your desk alone after that.
  • MariSama44
    MariSama44 Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    I eat the Lay's light chips w/olestra. I have never noticed a laxative effect, though I only eat one serving a day at the most. I would hate to think what would happen if I ate a ton of them! :laugh:

I tried the light ice cream route, and I just can't do it. That stuff isn't creamy enough for me. So, I got Hagen Daaz five vanilla and it is the best ice cream ever!! Though, I don't have a problem with sweets and I'm ok just taking a few bites every few days :bigsmile: It could be dangerous in the wrong hands :laugh:

Be careful. they never used to bother me, and I ate the one serving bag...had them last week...sick for 3 days, miserable, in pain. Horrible. Will never, ever eat them again.
  • catherine1979
    catherine1979 Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    Artificial sweeteners. Just remember, if they take fat and sugar out they have to put something else in.
  • imjeni
    imjeni Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    try bryer fat free ice cream. it is very creamy and taste like real ice cream with on 90 cal per serving. just stick to the serving size
  • AlynnP1005
    Options
    If you are really after a healthier alternative to ice cream, try Tofutti....Yes its tofu, but (in my opinion) it tastes like ice cream, has the nice creamy texture like ice cream, and its got less calories and fat, and more protein. Comes in a bunch of different flavors and there are fudge stick type ones as well :)
  • mdale2
    mdale2 Posts: 79
    Options
    Deeeeeeelicious chemicals, haha.
  • FireRox21
    FireRox21 Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    I always get the Slow Churned or Easy Churned ice creams. They are pretty low in fat and sugar, usually 110-130 calories in 1/2 cup which is one serving, and taste great!!!
  • jbuffan218
    jbuffan218 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    Back in the day, when Olestra first came out I was gung ho on WW.
    My leader at the time was a "snacker" and told us about this great new potatoe chip .
    Well, it had olestra in it and I tried the SINGLE SERVING bag. I have to buy anything like that in the small portion controled bags. Dont remember the brand now but it was Lays or one of the big names.
    Let me just say that for 3 days I was in agony. I do not have a sensitive system and can generally eat anything without upset, BUTT and yes I mean BUTT it was terrible. Sharp stabbing pains for the entire weekend and I didnt go far from the ladies room if ya get my drift. If thats what I have to go through to eat a stupid bag o' chips, I'll pass. Baked Lays are my chip of choice if I feel the need.
    So now I check anything that says fat free for that nasty stuff. Sometimes I think it is just better? to eat less of the real stuff and forget all this added nastiness, I mean chips are bad enough the regular way God only knows how bad they are with mystery stuff added.
    OMG, I just had a flashback, never again.
  • courtney_love2001
    courtney_love2001 Posts: 1,468 Member
    Options
    Back in the day, when Olestra first came out I was gung ho on WW.
    My leader at the time was a "snacker" and told us about this great new potatoe chip .
    Well, it had olestra in it and I tried the SINGLE SERVING bag. I have to buy anything like that in the small portion controled bags. Dont remember the brand now but it was Lays or one of the big names.
    Let me just say that for 3 days I was in agony. I do not have a sensitive system and can generally eat anything without upset, BUTT and yes I mean BUTT it was terrible. Sharp stabbing pains for the entire weekend and I didnt go far from the ladies room if ya get my drift. If thats what I have to go through to eat a stupid bag o' chips, I'll pass. Baked Lays are my chip of choice if I feel the need.
    So now I check anything that says fat free for that nasty stuff. Sometimes I think it is just better? to eat less of the real stuff and forget all this added nastiness, I mean chips are bad enough the regular way God only knows how bad they are with mystery stuff added.
    OMG, I just had a flashback, never again.

You made me chuckle :) I'm pretty happy I have never experienced this with eating those chips...if I did have a reaction I would just eat regular ones, b/c like I said I love chips!! I found Natural Cheetos recently and they are tasty. Supposedly "natural" but what the heck does that mean anyway...I just liked them b/c I could eat like 30 Cheetos for 150 cals :bigsmile: