Need an iPhone App for Running

Options
I just switched from a Droid phone to an iPhone. I've been using RunDouble as my primary running app and they don't have an iPhone version. The main features that I am looking for are: audio pace updates at varying intervals (I'm working hard on pace and as a new runner, I cannot determine my pace on my own at all! With RunDouble, I can have audio pace updates every minute, every 3 minutes, every 10, etc) and mile/kilometer announcements. I want to be able to play my own music on top of the running app.

Any recommendations?

Replies

• ShannonMpls
    ShannonMpls Posts: 1,936 Member
    Options
    I use RunKeeper, which does what you want (and has more options too).

Other choices are MapMyRun and Endomondo. All are free, all have some premium options for pay, but I've never felt the need to subscribe.

One caveat: Unless I turn OFF wireless and turn OFF location services for everything BUT my running app before every single run, the maps are terribly off, which makes your pace/splits really off too. This is the fault of the iPhone, not the app. As long as I remember to turn off wireless and location services, the maps are pretty good.
  • Resacup78
    Resacup78 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I use iRunner...It's free and you can take pics, it monitors your laps, has GPS, etc. You can also post your results on Facebook, twitter, and a few other sites. I love it!
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options
    Zombies! RUN!

Best app out there!
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    I've used Mapmyrun and Runkeeper and I find that Runkeeper is more reliable - though the GPS does drop out from time to time so you can get some very wierd numbers!

If you want to spend some money - then I love my Garmin GPS watch. It gives you distance, pace, heart rate etc, but is a hell of a lot more expensive than a free app :)
  • Sloth_TurtleGirl
    Sloth_TurtleGirl Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Run Zombie Run is a lot of fun, but I don't use it often.

I use my Nike+ app most of the time. I love it. I can see a map of my run with speeds at different points in the run. It helps with setting goals etc. Since it is an iPhone, you don't need the special shoes, just your phone and the app.
  • dr_tina
    dr_tina Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    I like runmeter a lot
  • gmallan
    gmallan Posts: 2,099 Member
    Options
    I use mapmyrun for long steady runs. I reccomend seconds interval timer for interval training
  • amyram
    amyram Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Runkeeper lets you set your pace and how often to be updated verbally or with beeps. You can also play your music, it also updates the run keeper website so you can analyze your run afterward. It also has free training plans, I'm currently doing the " Complete a 1/2 marathon in 2:30"
  • Breadbar
    Breadbar Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • _canuckrunner_
    _canuckrunner_ Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    I've been using RunKeeper for over 3 years, its free, easy to use and reliable. The accuracy of the GPS depends on your phone. I have an iphone 4S and its as accurate as my friends Garmin GPS watch. I like that it works with your iphone/itunes playlists, you can set it to tell you your pace/distance/time etc and you can download training programs. I also have Zombies Run! for a little variety - I often use them simultaneously and the GPS stays accurate.
  • Cheeta_HH
    Cheeta_HH Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    I also use Runkeeper and find it pretty reliable. You may also want to sign up for free on earndit.com. You earn points for your runs that you track through Runkeeper and can cash them in for gift cards and discounts on fitness-related items.
  • paulwgun
    paulwgun Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    Runkeeper :-)
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    I have a Droid phone, but I use Endomondo and it works great.

I've tried Runkeeper, I believe and the GPS signal was hard to lock on it.. with Endomondo it's much better.
  • Eve1972
    Eve1972 Posts: 297
    Options
    I use iSmoothRun, and highly recommend it!!
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    I use Runkeeper & have been very happy with it. I also have the Nike+ app & tried it for the first time on Saturday, but don't know if I like it better than Runkeeper yet. :tongue:
  • drgndancer
    drgndancer Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    I use Runmeter, and it does everything you want. My ex used to use Runkeeper, but I convinced her to try Runmeter and she likes it better (Runkeeper's premium features are better, but for free Runmeter does most of what the pay version of Runkeeper does). That said almost everything suggested here is pretty good, and I've seen people use all of them quite successfully.

Zombies, Run! is tons of fun and I use it for short tempo runs, but it doesn't actually do most of what you want. It's won't do pace announcements, or splits announcements or anything like that. It basically just keeps track of distance and pace for you. And makes you run away from imaginary zombies, which totally rules.
  • rbottom12
    Options
  • rbottom12
    Options
  • rbottom12
    Options
    Run Zombie Run is a lot of fun, but I don't use it often.

I use my Nike+ app most of the time. I love it. I can see a map of my run with speeds at different points in the run. It helps with setting goals etc. Since it is an iPhone, you don't need the special shoes, just your phone and the app.

How do you get the app to work without the special chip that is inside the shoe? I have tried and I get nothing?????
  • LovePBandJ
    LovePBandJ Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    bump - great recommendations. Must try Run Zombie Run!