Pre-logging Food Diaries

Options

Replies

• skyeliz525
    skyeliz525 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I try to pre-log at least my breakfast and my lunch. I generally find that I tend to follow it though sometimes I'll bring one or two items and may move them around or eat less so I'll modify the quantities at work. It works for me which is nice. Dinner...that's more a fly by the pants sorta deal. I never know what I'm planning on eating.

This is me exactly! ^^^^ :)
  • jensweighingin
    jensweighingin Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    I plan my meals and log when I can. I usually prelog my days. Some times I change out my snacks, but most of my snacks are about the same amount of calories. I will go off plan if something comes up--dinner out with the girls or such. For now, I will have tomorrow's breakfast and lunch and snacks logged next, but dinner will be a ? as I'm going to my sister-in-law's for dinner!
  • Alphawolf02
    Options
    I love being able to pre-log, and I usually stick to it. It makes me feel more in control of my day and my diet when I do that.
  • gadenni34
    gadenni34 Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    I often pre-log but only for the day. I normally don't go past that unless I have a meal out planned and I want to just make the decisions on what I am eating ahead of time.

I am starting NROLFW myself and planning my day helps me to make sure I am on track for my protein, fat and carbs seem to balance out as long as I am getting my protein in.

I log exercise in the am sometimes too but only because I *earn* a set amount of calories following the NROLFW plan so I can log on a day when I know I am going to be going to the gym.

Hi. :) What's NROLFW? Havn't heard of it. :P

New Rules of Lifting for Women. :)

and in response to do I stick to it, part of your OP, yes. it helps me tweak the day if anything changes or I don't eat as much as I had planned or more...then I can just delete random small bits or increase a shake or something. I really find it helpful. :)
  • coolraul07
    coolraul07 Posts: 1,606 Member
    Options
    I'm fortunate in the fact that my workplace cafe has detailed nutritional information (NI) for >90% of the food they serve. Their weekly menu is web-accessible and the vast majority of their menu's NI is already in MFP's database, so I can easily pre-populate my desired lunch choices for the week.
    At home and elsewhere, at a minimum I will pre-log the meal that I'm preparing to eat. The only exceptions are when I'm out-and-about away from my laptop/tablet and can't wait until I get home before eating.

I focus on calories, fat, sodium, potassium, protein, and fiber. I strike to stay below the levels of the first 3 and to meet/exceed the levels of the last three. Interestingly enough, my biggest trouble areas are protein and fiber. I would've thought calories or fat but I rarely come close. Sometime I find myself low on protein and/or fiber after dinner and make myself eat some more to hit those minimums. It's especially tricky when I exercise because the extra burn will actually increase the minimums for those numbers! I remember one day that I actually boiled and ate 2 frozen b/s chicken breasts at 11pm because I was 50g short on protein after a late treadmill workout! Nowadays I have bars and powders to make up huge deficits in fiber and protein, but always strive to reach them naturally. I also use low sodium V8 juice for a quick potassium boost; just tonight I had to drink 16 oz to catch-up.

Pre-logging has helped me better plan my day and avoid the last minute "OMG, I've only had 5g of fiber today!" at 11:45pm. It also helps me to eat anything I want because I have to reconcile the numbers ahead of time. Sure I can eat the fried fast-food chicken breast, but that'll be 60% of my sodium DV by itself so I'll need to double my intake of fresh produce to keep sodium low for the rest of the day. That also means that the slice of caramel cake with ice cream will have to wait 2 days, yadda yadda.
  • jerbear1962
    jerbear1962 Posts: 1,157 Member
    Options
    I pre log then print it and hang it on the fridge door. I stick to it about 99% of the time. I usually only change my menu if something comes up.
  • Mandino788
    Mandino788 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    I pre-log on work days since I eat lunch and dinner there. I like to log it as I pack my food so I can be sure that I'm within my calorie goal.
  • MizzDoc
    MizzDoc Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    I have started to pre-log my breakfast and mid morning meals. I was doing this some time ago, then stopped for some reason. I have started back again because 1) it helps me to know what my first meals of the day will be, 2) it helps me plan half of my caloric intake for the day, and 3) since these meals are all pre-workout, I can gauge how much of a burn I will need to complete my nutrition goals for the day. It really does work for me and keeps me from getting side tracked with impulse food eating.

I usually do not pre-log on the weekends though. My schedule is just to spastic come Saturday and Sunday, lol.
  • kdeaux1959
    kdeaux1959 Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    when I can, i do pre-log meals. Really it is a lot like managing a budget... it is easier to stay on track if you know what you are going to spend BEFORE you go to the store. Sometimes, what I think is a good meal is actually well over what I first thought (not so much any more since I am on month 10 of this journey); however, if I pre-log it, I know BEFORE I consume the calories that I need to make an adjustment... You can always change it if you find it is not so accurate or you have to change your plans
  • Laddiegirl
    Laddiegirl Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    During weekdays I pre log breakfast, lunch and day snack because they are definite. On Sunday when I grocery shop I pick out my menu for breakfast, lunch and midday snack for the week and since I'm on a budget, that is definite and doesn't change. I also roughly plan out dinner, like I'll buy a big package of chicken with the idea of making it a certain way and pairing it with X and making enough for that to last 2-3 days of the week, then I'll make the rest of the chicken paired with Y for the remaining days of the workweek. I have no problem eating leftovers and I prepare food just for myself so its easier and better for my budget if I do that.

Weekends are a complete toss up because I spend them with my boyfriend and we might cook for us all weekend, or we might do a lot of eating out or go to a gathering with friends or family or whatever so I log those days as they happen.
  • SWilkins75
    SWilkins75 Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    I pre log and half the time I get around to eating it at all :/
  • sweettalkinggirl
    Options
    I occasionally pre-log my meals. I usually pre log meals like Breakfast and Lunch during the week as I try and get as much of it prepared (the fruit, making the sandwich etc) the night before so I don't have to rush as much before work. I also pre-log if I know I am eating out (esp if I can view the menu online) so that I have an idea what what to order, how many calories I have left for other meals and also it helps me determine how much exercise I will do for the day :)
  • RolandChandler
    Options
    Pre-logging suggests a higer level of organisation, which relates to a higher level of motivation. Almost certainly people who have this level of motivation and organisation will accomplish their goals as long as they stay ontrack.

Well Done!

Roland Chandler (Personal Trainer):laugh:
  • babeinthemoon
    babeinthemoon Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    If I know I'm going to have a very busy day ahead of time, I'll plan out the next day. Most of the time though, I get to lunch, and plan out my last snack and dinner for that day.

I have my plan and I work my plan... but that doesn't mean that it is set in stone. I've made changes at the last minute a lot.. especially when eating out is concerned. :smile:
  • shorty35565
    shorty35565 Posts: 1,425 Member
    Options
    I prelog everything & I eat exactly what I've planned. It's a very rare occasion that I don't stick to the plan. I like sticking to the plan & it's easier for me this way, especially to make sure I hit my protein goal & such. I do this every night.
  • tvanhooser
    tvanhooser Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    Yes, I do this and most of the time I follow it unless something comes up to change it which isn't always or even often. I pretty much stick to it because then I know what I am putting in before one bite crosses my lips so there's no chance of going over. I have to be organized about this if it's going to work for me. The whole eat, then log and hope it works out....yeah, if that method worked for me, I wouldn't need to be on here tracking everything I eat and I want to get to my healthy weight ASAP and just go to maintenance....not like I enjoy this, but I know I need to do it for reasons greater than my apathy so I do it....for myself. The only times I change are if for instance, I had planned to use up dinner leftovers for lunch the next day, but my husband ate them first, either for breakfast or took it in his lunch cooler (He has to be at work by 5:30 am so I don't get up for that and supervise the lunch packing). It's generally not a big deal. Just have to look what else I have and eat similar calories and change the diary so it all works out. Only other time is when I have planned our weekly meals (which I do to make grocery shopping easier and because my husband is diabetic), then something comes up and I end up being somewhere else for a certain meal because family comes to town and takes us out to eat or I volunteer to work an event at church because of a last minute emergency I wasn't planning on or forgot to take into consideration when I made the plan and they feed us, I just graciously eat what is provided in moderate amounts and skip anything like pop or potato chips and just eat the fruit, carrot sticks and sandwich or whatever and get some water. Then adjust the diary when I get home. But those are exceptions rather than rules so I mostly stick to what I say I will eat.
  • ningggsm
    ningggsm Posts: 202
    Options
    These are all great. :) Thank you. I'll definitely try pre-logging my meals- hopefully I'll be as successful as a lot of you are with it.
  • dr2k12
    dr2k12 Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    I pre-log but in the context of right before I eat it, in other words I prepare my meal, I log it and then eat...
  • amykff
    amykff Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    i pre-plan almost all of my meals!! i need to be prepared or else ill end up snacking....it really works for me :smile:
  • RolandChandler
    Options
    Pre-loggin will only work if there is no deviation.