Fast Food Help

Options
Hey everybody!!!!

I am addicted to fast food, mostly french fries.....any suggestions on how to kick the habit?

Replies

• StillChangingAmie
    Options
    Stop going to fast food places. :] I know it's a smart *kitten* answer but it's really the only thing you need to do.
  • trevpimp
    trevpimp Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    You can still eat your fast food just make sure it doesn't pass your calorie limit.
    It just makes it harder but that doesn't mean u can't have any
  • jgsparks89
    jgsparks89 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I don't think NEVER having french fries is a prerequisite to losing weight or getting fit. I just try everything in moderation. If I can't have pasta a few nights a week and chocolate often and the occasional cheese burger, life just wouldn't be very much fun ;) But what I do try to do is 1) Stay within my calorie goals even with the indulgences 2) If I am planning a splurge (i.e. fast food for dinner or an ice cream) I try to be super good the rest of the day (via exercise and eating reasonably). Good luck!!
  • hooperkay
    hooperkay Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    I just stopped eating them. I do occasionally bake fries at home. I don't eat fried foods now. I really don't think my stomach could handle them now.
  • SweetCheekszx0
    SweetCheekszx0 Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    I think cutting fast food out is probably the smartest thing to do. You can still have it once a month. Trust me on this one I haven't ate fast food in 3 mths and last week I had a small onion rings from bk and I was stuffed. Yea deff will teach your body what's portion control is. Just because an amount looks small calories count in your body. But ! What helped me get by was switching my fast food alternatives when I was craving Mickie dees or bk I would go to subway or get steamed choice from Chinese. Moes is also a good alternative and if ur on a date or family outing red robins or panera is awesome with calorie control ❤ good luck!
  • julimonster
    julimonster Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    I just stopped eating them. I do occasionally bake fries at home. I don't eat fried foods now. I really don't think my stomach could handle them now.
    Same here. Try roasting veggies, including potatoes cut like fries, it brings out a whole new flavor in your veggies. Get some fat-free pretzels, or some organic raw almonds instead, and count them - no more than 20!
    Best of luck!:bigsmile:
  • SweetCheekszx0
    SweetCheekszx0 Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    Ohhh! A&D baking Nathan's onion rings frozen are an awesome treat ! Low on cals and there huge! Also for French fries alternative this worked for me. Boil string beans for 3-5 minutes then dip them in shake and bake I use Parmesan flavored and bake untill crispy you'll love these!!
  • Awkward30
    Awkward30 Posts: 1,927 Member
    Options
    1) Make a pact that no matter what you eat, you always log it.

2) Make your own, leaner versions of fast food. Oven fries, eg

3) See how harmless your version is and how much it sucks to log the fast food version...

That is why, unless I'm hungover, I don't eat fast food... I know I can make a version that tastes almost as good, sometimes better, and is WAY better for you.

For fries specifically, I LOVE the alexia sweet potato crisscross fries and tots. Had tots yesterday, as a matter of fact.
  • RunIntheMud
    RunIntheMud Posts: 2,645 Member
    Options
    It's a big lifestyle change for some. If it's something you do daily, start by cutting one day a week out until you only have one day a week for fast food (or no days). When I was married, my ex always wanted fast food. I did my best to resist, but it was just easier. After our divorce, I wanted to eat healthier and provide a better example for the kids. I really do think I had withdrawals the first week or two, but I cut it down to a "Friday Night Fast Food Night". The kids loved it because fast food has become a treat instead of an expectation.

Good luck!!! :)
  • suckerlove
    Options
    I have a french fry problem too. I recommend making your own at home. I bake mine after seasoning with garlic, olive oil, chili powder (well my hubby makes them so there is other stuff I don't know about), I sprinkle them with parmesean cheese and they are great.
  • withchaco
    withchaco Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    French fries were my biggest vice before, too. I'd order a burger, a soda and two large fries for a single meal.

When I started trying to lose weight, I quit them cold turkey at first. Then slowly (after like 3 months or so) I eased my way back to eating them. I ordered a small fries from Wendy's and was surprised to find how satisfying it was, quantity-wise. It wasn't that small at all! (note, though, a small fries from McDonald's is pretty damn small.)

Now I stick to reasonable portions, and I'm really picky about my fries. If they're mind-blowingly amazing, I'll eat them and just make sure they fit into my calorie budget. If they're not that great, they're not worth my calories, so I won't order them.

Sometimes I eat oven baked "fries" too. But there are times when you feel an itch that an oven-baked version can't quite scratch. When that happens... see above. :smile:
  • sgv0918
    sgv0918 Posts: 851 Member
    Options
    I really just had to stop. I stillthink occasionally I want it and when I have it I usually get upset stomach. But since I just stopped going and tried harder to plan meals at home the desire is gone
  • nickymaz
    nickymaz Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    You can eat at a fast food place, just look at the nutritional info and see what fits into you calories for the day.

For example, I like the grilled chicken sandwich at McDonalds, it's 350 cals. You can have a quarter pounder w/cheese for 550 cals. Tacos at Taco Bell are around 200 cals a piece. Fries are tricky, personally I don't touch them because a medium fries are like 350 cals and not worth it to me.

Fast food is not the boogie man. Looks at the info and find what will work for you.
  • caseysheatx
    Options
    Thanks for all the great suggestions! keep them coming!!!
  • marie_25m
    marie_25m Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    You can cook it at home...buy ground beef, ground turkey, etc and make the patties and buy potatoes, cut them up and fry them at home. It wont be as bad as going to a fast food place.
  • gmallan
    gmallan Posts: 2,099 Member
    Options
    I just wait until my boyfriend gets them and eat 2-4. Usually kills the craving pretty quickly
  • VelociMama
    VelociMama Posts: 3,119 Member
    Options
    You can cook it at home...buy ground beef, ground turkey, etc and make the patties and buy potatoes, cut them up and fry them at home. It wont be as bad as going to a fast food place.

This. You can make a great burger and homemade fries in the oven for much fewer calories.
  • crowunruh
    crowunruh Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    I eat fast food sometimes. But I try to stay w/ in my calorie limit. Even if I am over I make sure to still log it!!
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    If you can't go cold turkey and quit completely yet, get a smaller size. Order the kid's meal or the smallest size fries. Eventually as you eat more healthy food you'll crave it less and less. Plus as you see how little food you get for so many calories you'll realize it just isn't worth it to have it too often. I do love a Happy Meal now and then though. Last time I had one though they gave a pack of apples and the miniest pack of fries ever - it was like 4 fries! Crazy.
  • gnb4hi
    gnb4hi Posts: 25
    Options
    This sounds crazy... but eat them last. If you eat cold french fries you will learn they are not so great... The grease kind of solidifies , and the salt isnt as good and they are chewy... eat a few hot and put the rest to the side.