Short "chubby" runners... what was your starting mile time?

Options
13»

Replies

• wolfgate
    wolfgate Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    The best thing about running is that in races you get to compete against yourself - and the sport is set up that way! Really, it doesn't matter what your pace is (particularly starting). Unless your name is Mo Farah (and perhaps even then) there is always someone faster than you and someone slower. Heck, I won a 3k race a couple of years ago, but I knew that had some of our other local runners shown up that day, I wouldn't have. The key thing is, if you want to improve, you only have to set the goal to beat your previous self. And that is personally rewarding and valuable and fun.

Sounds to me like you're doing just fine. Keep the positive attitude. And FWIW, your husband could use an attitude adjustment.

As for speed, you should expect to get faster as you build and endurance base and lose weight. The biggest thing is simply getting in miles and the base. The physiological changes will result in a faster pace over a period of months of consistent training. Weight plays a factor as wlll (though IMHO less than the base). On average, a 10 pound weight loss will give you about 20 seconds per mile faster pace in a 5k race. That is a generalization for sure, there will be great variety of results.
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    Start at a speed that's comfortable for you. I'm 5'6'' and not chubby, but my time is still currently a 10 minute mile (6 mph) when I run more than a mile at once. I started at 5.2, I think. Just gotta work your way up.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    Running during a race is a totally different experience than just running.

When I first started, I ran on a treadmill at 5mph (12:00 min mile) and by the end of C25K, I was up to 5.5mph (11:30 min mil). But when I ran my first race, which was 4.5 miles, I did my first mile in 9:17 and even with a LOT of walk breaks, I finished at about a 10:40 pace. A few months later, I was running races at a 9 min mile pace, and a few months after that 8 minute miles.

I haven't run just ONE mile as fast as I can in almost a year, but last time I did, it was 7:16.
  • auroranflash
    auroranflash Posts: 3,569 Member
    Options
    Please, no one feel bad over our dinky 13/14minute miles. I usually average 12 to 13... and I'm 5'6.5" with long legs :P

The only 5k I've run has been on a treadmill and I finished in 44:54. That was running with walking breaks, so basically intervals. I was just happy it wasn't over 45 minutes. :wink:

Intervals help, but practice makes perfect. You can't really compare your time to others TOO much... I know my friends practically fly by me in terms of their speed/distance. Just keep track of your own goals, PRs, and progress, be patient, and enjoy. :)

OP - Good luck on your 5k race :flowerforyou:
  • hockeymom95
    hockeymom95 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    I am 4' 10.5" and I weigh 145 pounds. I can walk a mile in 15-16 minutes. I started with a couch to 5K program and I can run 3 miles in 44 minutes which is like 14 minutes 45 secs mile. I am now training for a half marathon. I still run the first 3 miles still in 44 minutes, but my longer runs pace per mile gets better. When I ran 5 miles the first time, my pace was a 14 minute mile. When I ran 7.5 miles, I was at 14 minutes per mile or maybe a little under 14 minutes. I am a running newbie and my goal is fininsh my half marathon in 3 hours which currently on pace to do.

My husband and son, can run a lot faster than me. They are also both 10-12 inches taller than me. This is where I am right now. If I continue to run, I hope to improve me times, but that takes training. It will come, don't worry!
  • soulfulsally
    Options
    Don't compare your pace with your husband's pace. Just strive to do the best you can in that 5k. And no, being short doesn't mean you won't be able to run faster. The speed will come in good time. But I understand the desire to go faster. I got bummed this morning because it took me about 12 minutes to run a mile. I must've been on a poorly marked trail last week when I thought I ran a mile in 10 minutes. But then I reminded myself that we all have to start somewhere. Improvement is in our futures! Good luck with that race coming up! Have fun!
  • Lisamarie1226
    Lisamarie1226 Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    I've been overweight my whole life. In high school, it would take me about 20 minutes to walk (very rarely did I jog) a mile. So I feel you there.

I was proud when I hit my first 12 mile and that took work. Intervals are your friend! When I started, I did this interval program where I'd walk for 4 minutes/ lightly jog for 1. Did that for 1-2 weeks. Then walk for 3/ jog 2. Then split it in half 2.5 minutes walking/2.5 minutes jogging. Then 2 walking, 3 jogging...you get the picture, right? Work up to 5 minutes jogging and then mix it up.

For me, I had to work on endurance. Then I could focus on speed. For my first TIMED 5k my offiicial run/chip time was 34:28! That's a 11:03/mile pace. I was aiming for about 35 minutes so I did exceed my goal :-)

My first half marathon, I finished in 2:42 (and some change) and I was proud of that. Since then, I've been very inconsistent and my enduarance and speed suck (I lost my baby sister very unexpectedly last year and it's been quite the roller coaster). I'll be doing my 4th half marathon in November.

You are doing a great job and don't listen to your husband. Find what works for YOU! I do intervals and sometimes I do timed intervals or "just jog until I get tired" or if I'm outside, I'll focus in landmarks. I don't know that I'll ever be fast-fast, but I'm okay with that.

Good luck!
  • TylerJ76
    TylerJ76 Posts: 4,375 Member
    Options
    Started out at 15 min/mile

Now?

Right around 13 min/mile