Paleo diet and calories

Options
I know we're not supposed to count calories on the Paleo diet. I have logged what I ate today....not sure if it's totally accurate. But I'm not hungry and I don't want to eat anymore. But my total says I ate something like 775 calories for the day.

Should I really eat anymore or am I ok?

thanks

Replies

• tlblood
    tlblood Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    I think to occasionally eat so few calories is probably ok, but eating that few calories on a regular basis will cause your metabolism to slow. So if it's just for today and it's not a normal thing, I'd say if you're not hungry, don't eat.
  • EKarma
    EKarma Posts: 594 Member
    Options
    a glass of milk can help you get your cals up a lil bit.. My cals were gonna be something like that so I ended up putting a ounce of cheese in my soup.. It bumped it up a lil.. But I'm still sittin at around 950 cals for the day. There's ways that you can add cals and not necessarily add food, ya know.. idk.
  • ivykivy
    ivykivy Posts: 2,970 Member
    Options
    Have you eaten your protein and fat requirements. 2-3 serving of nuts and/or seeds should take you well past the 1200 calorie mark.
  • mdale2
    mdale2 Posts: 79
    Options
    Unless you're intermittantly fasting, that's pretty low. Agreed with ivy. Have some nuts or another healthy fat source.
  • hahahollylol
    hahahollylol Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    ivy...my fats where pretty low...but my proteins where above where mfp recommends
  • lotusfromthemud
    lotusfromthemud Posts: 5,335 Member
    Options
    ivy...my fats where pretty low...but my proteins where above where mfp recommends

on paleo, your proteins are going to be WAY over what MFP recommends (so will your fats.) You may want to adjust your goal settings (choose "custom" instead of "guided") and change your macros if you're committed to that protocol. I find my calories usually average out, (I have a really low day followed by a really high day) but it's best to stay close to your calorie guidelines, IMHO

HTH.
  • ivykivy
    ivykivy Posts: 2,970 Member
    Options
    Anytime you are doing a very low carb diet you are going to have to have high proteins unless you are eating a LOT of fruits and vegetables. Take your weight and divide by 2.2 then multiply by 1.2- 1.5. This is probably the range (grams of protein) you should stay in to spare muscle especially if you are eating less than 60 net carbs . I am not doing paleo b/c I like my dairy, but have read quite a bit. Like all low carb/non-grain diets, good fats (nuts and seeds) should be a basic part of your diet.

Hope this helps:flowerforyou: