Traveling and being healthy

Options
Hello

So I get to travel a fair amount for work - lucky me - I actually don't mind it, but I have a hard time eating healthy 'on the road'. I'm interested in what other people do to stay on track.

Thx
Jim

Replies

• Culley34
    Culley34 Posts: 224
    Options
    Find a local deli / supermarket and eat at regimented times. Also, keep a healhy snack handy -- I like to use raw almonds (or lightly salted ones).

My roommate is a public accountant and spends a good portion of time on the road visiting clients. This past busy season he gained 12 lbs his from eating out at Carrabba's, Outback, Chili's, and Bertucci's and not working out.

Typically, they would be at a client's on-site, start early, work late (and not workout) and then get take out or go to dinner as a group. Not to mention, his company provided them with a hospitality package which include pixie sticks, snickers, milky ways etc..
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    If you know you're going to be going out to dinner, especially with clients/co-workers where you might be tempted to get swept up in the indulgence, keep it light throughout the day. Pack healthy snacks like carrot and celery sticks, fruit and nuts. Assuming you have a micorwave, bring some 100 calorie packs of popcorn and instant oatmeal.

Remember that most of the weight gain while travelling is due to the high sodium content in prepared/restaurant foods so keep drinking that water! And try to get some activity in on a regular basis. If the place you're staying doesn't have a gym, go for a walk or run around the neighborhood. If it's raining find the nearest mall or just run up and down the stairs in your hotel and do some body weight exercises in your room like push-ups, sit-ups, etc.