How do you count calories at a chinese buffet?

Options
Went to Chinese buffet yesterday, didn't eat but a couple bites of multiple things. How do you track your calories with that?

Replies

• ajfc1971
    ajfc1971 Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    if you put in chinese buffet it comes up with an average calories for a plate. Hope this helps
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    Yup, that's what I use... If you type in chinese buffet it should come up with a few listings.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,248 Member
    Options
    I don't log on Chinese Buffet days anymore, but when I did... I would just 'quick add' the amount of calories I had left for the day and call it a wash. :laugh:

I'm normally an "everything in moderation" kind of person, but there's no such thing as moderation where all you can eat sushi is involved. So I don't even try.
  • BernadetteChurch
    BernadetteChurch Posts: 2,210 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't even bother trying to calculate calories there. If I have a meal like that I just include it in the Notes section of my Food Diary so that I'm at least monitoring what I eat, but I don't think it's really possible to get an accurate calorie count.

I don't think a day of not getting an accurate calorie count does any harm. Sometimes life just gets in the way.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    you DIDNT eat, apart from a COUPLE of bites of MULTIPLE things? thats eating where i come from...
  • BernadetteChurch
    BernadetteChurch Posts: 2,210 Member
    Options
    you DIDNT eat, apart from a COUPLE of bites of MULTIPLE things? thats eating where i come from...

I think OP means they didn't eat more than a couple of bites of various different dishes.
  • ObtainingBalance
    ObtainingBalance Posts: 1,446 Member
    Options
    A couple bites from multiple things could still wind up being 400 calories, I don't know the size of bites you took and I don't know what the dish was. All I know is that 2-3 "bites" (TBSP) of nutella can cost me 200 calories lol

I assume you probably had a pretty reasonable calorie number...though... (200-300 calories MAYBE)

When I'm at a chinese buffet... I get generic stuff....easy logging stuff.

I know that steamed white rice is about 110-120 per 1/2 cup.

Buttered shrimp isn't bad...either, search it on here and they give estimated calorie counts. It's less calories than breaded shrimp.

I like the beef and broccoli stuff. That can be like 300-400 per cup. If you have half a cup... you can use that as part of your meal, along with a variety of other stuff....

Salad bar is great, sunflower seeds....fruit/veggies...eggs.. easily countable stuff. Even a drizzle of dressing wouldn't kill. I love cottage cheese, I just assume it's 4% .. not low fat.

I love egg drop soup, and it's about 100 per cup. Maybe 150 , depending on how it's made... some are as low as 80 calories. I'd rather over estimate than under estimate though.

Egg rolls are about 200 per roll.

Just know ahead of time what foods would be best, and stick to one plate. Don't use an all-you-can-eat buffet as a chance to "cheat" on the diet and overeat by a 1,000....because that can happen easily considering how much fried stuff they have and their desserts...

Oh, fortune cookies are 20-30 calories. Have a treat on your way out. =)
  • perci61
    perci61 Posts: 11
    Options
    That helped a lot. Thank you so much!
  • WinnerVictorious
    WinnerVictorious Posts: 4,735 Member
    Options
    How do you count calories at a Chinese buffet?

with an abacus.

did i get it right?

:happy:
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    I don't log on Chinese Buffet days anymore, but when I did... I would just 'quick add' the amount of calories I had left for the day and call it a wash. :laugh:

I'm normally an "everything in moderation" kind of person, but there's no such thing as moderation where all you can eat sushi is involved. So I don't even try.

^^^ Yep for buffet type meals that's what I do too. Quick add what I have left for the day and go enjoy every bite!! HIt the gym big time the next day. It's not worth getting too stressed over it!
  • kmol44
    kmol44 Posts: 5
    Options
    I'm going to Chinese buffet today and I usually get a to go box and eat a 1/4 of it two or 3 times through out the day and the next. I had gastric bypass surgery and can't eat a lot at once. I struggle with figuring my calories for that time too. BUT now that I use the Fitbit, I just get an extra work out in and more steps and it gives me plenty of extra calories for that day! :D
  • jrline
    jrline Posts: 2,353 Member
    Options
    I always err on the side of over counting the calories in what I eat there.

url=http://www.myfitnesspal.com/weight-loss-ticker]29509743.png[/url]
  • kirkor
    kirkor Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    Also realize your sodium will be through the roof so you may retain more water than usual. Don't weigh yourself for a few days afterwards to avoid getting a skewed result.
  • Archerychickge
    Archerychickge Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    I usually log as I eat, using the app on my phone. that way I don't miss anything. You'd be surprised at how easy it is to forget that spoonful of fried rice, or the dumpling you ate along side the 3 bites of Kung Pao chicken and Moo Goo Gai Pan...

Damn it, now I want Chinese food...
  • iplayoutside19
    iplayoutside19 Posts: 2,304 Member
    Options

^^^ Yep for buffet type meals that's what I do too. Quick add what I have left for the day and go enjoy every bite!! HIt the gym big time the next day. It's not worth getting too stressed over it!

Same here, if I'm going to a Chinese Buffet, it's on.

But, I only go to one once a year on the way to Scout Camp where the calories burned to available food makes it a wash anyway.
  • CindyB97
    CindyB97 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I usually log as I eat, using the app on my phone. that way I don't miss anything. You'd be surprised at how easy it is to forget that spoonful of fried rice, or the dumpling you ate along side the 3 bites of Kung Pao chicken and Moo Goo Gai Pan...

Damn it, now I want Chinese food...

Agreed (on both counts).

I get salad, estimate the dressing best I can, and if they have that grilled chicken on a stick I will add it to my salad. Very filling. Then usually just the broth from the wonton soup, also filling and honestly I don't even count it. The green beans (I know they are probably swimming in butter but green equals healthy, right? lol). And then sushi rolls, which are easy to find in the MFP database.

If I've been good for the day and have enough calories left, I will get one of their big chocolate chip cookies, break it in half and put a very small scoop of vanilla ice cream in between for a treat that's not great calorie-wise but not as bad as it could be. Yum!

Seriously, we do buffets a lot and I love getting creative. I usually get strange looks from the other patrons when I'm whipping up some new creation. Yes, I've been known to dip vegetables in the chocolate fountain at Golden Corral.
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options
    sample.jpg
  • 50sFit
    50sFit Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    perci61 wrote: »
    Went to Chinese buffet yesterday, didn't eat but a couple bites of multiple things. How do you track your calories with that?
    I don't... >:)
    Seriously, why go to a chinese buffet just to make yourself miserable eating rice cakes and celery sticks? I never eat out except on a cheat day. It's never worth it to order a salad while everybody else is pigging out on all the nasty, unhealthy foods I love.
    Anyway, I lost over 90 pounds enjoying moderation and delayed gratification but still have one day each week where anything goes.
    That's when I hit the chinese buffet...and Katie, BAR THE DOOR!
  • a4phantom
    Options
    If you're counting calories you don't go to a Chinese Buffet. Or any buffet.
  • SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage
    Options
    I don't. The MSG in that stuff will guarantee that it won't stick around in my stomach long enough to be digested. :unamused: