Ideas for cheap & healthy meals?

Options
berfy
berfy Posts: 35 Member
I need help eating very cheaply, but still healthy (NO ramen noodles!!). My food budget is only about $2.50/day per person, and I'm cooking for two. Right now we're eating a lot of potatoes & eggs - not exactly high on nutrition. Oh, and my food budget also includes things like clothes, oil changes & entertainment, so any ideas on how to stay well under $2.50 would be awesome!

Replies

• tonightokayalright
    tonightokayalright Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    I buy rolled oats in bulk. They're extremely good for you and you can mix them with a little bit of pretty much anything. Fresh fruits and veggies tend to be cheap, just don't buy too much at once because you're better off buying them more often than letting any of it spoil and go to waste.
  • taylor5877
    taylor5877 Posts: 1,792 Member
    Options
    got me, I went over 2.50 eating from cans on my post workout snack...
  • bpotts44
    bpotts44 Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    Overnight oats and beans are my staples during the week. You can buy the oats and beans in bulk. The beans get soaked and cooked, but its very simple.
  • sarahharmintx
    sarahharmintx Posts: 868 Member
    Options
    So your food budget is basically your household budget. You threw me on that one.

I would suggest cutting coupons and looking for sales. I have found spiral cuts ham on sale for CHEAP and we ate it for like a week. Not bad for $10. Also look at dried beans and rice. Not sure of much else. Farmers market?
  • mike4him
    Options
    eggs, potatoes, beans and rice, whole wheat pasta at walmart, check local food banks or churches they often give away veggies and fruits locally grown and donated to people struggling. God loves you and will get you through this..Our family has been in the same position before and things work out..this is temporary..I will pray for you..God bless!
  • m2rmagoo1
    m2rmagoo1 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Google - healthy meals on a budget for 2. You will get all kinds of options. Enjoy!! : )