WOMEN - weight loss and hair loss????

Options
13»

Replies

• EDesq
    EDesq Posts: 1,527 Member
    Options
    People, especially women thin hair as we age...especially during Menopause. One reason for hair loss during wt loss is nutrition based. Many women who have had Wt Loss Surgery experience hair loss because they lose a LOT of nutrients because proper absorption is by-passed. If you have not had WLS, I suggest increasing your B Vitamins, especially Biotin (give it 3 months and see what happens), other wise see a dermatologist or your PCP to see what is going on.
  • RunMyOregonBunsOff
    RunMyOregonBunsOff Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    I looked at about 10 random days through the last 2.5 months and the highest cal you had was like 1300 and that was with an added 300+ exercise cal so you were still under 300+ cal...up your calories girl!
  • VelociMama
    VelociMama Posts: 3,119 Member
    Options
    I second the comments about undereating. Set your calories at -1/2 lb per week loss for a while and focus on eating nutrient-dense foods and possibly taking a good vitamin supplement. If you're still having hair loss after a month of this or if you have any other odd symptoms, talk to your doctor.

Chronic undereating can lead to a whole host of potentially serious medical problems. Hair loss is one of the more cosmetic things that can happen, but it can also lead to malnutrition which can have permanent negative effects on the immune system, metabolism, and internal organ function. This is why very low calorie diets are only intended to be short-term and only used under medical supervision.
  • NeverGivesUp
    NeverGivesUp Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    get your blood taken at the doctor to see if there are any vitamins you are lacking. Guessing in the dark is silly in my opinion. Get real answers, not just ones on a message board.
  • LynnyAH
    LynnyAH Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I had a similar problem when on an expensive (and drastic) weight loss program. I gave up because of it and later a Naturopath told me it was due to lack of minerals. She tested my zinc levels and I had absolutely none in my system Fortunately, my hair has thickened up again but I don't think to the same level. By the way, I've only been on MFP 2 days and it gave me 1200 cals per day. Is that too low?
  • trud72
    trud72 Posts: 1,912 Member
    Options
    also another reason for hair loss honey is if you were ill about 6 months ago? your body can get shocked by it and that can cause it! :flowerforyou:
    Hope it stops soon x
  • SomeoneSomeplace
    SomeoneSomeplace Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    I have dealt with this but don't currently have this issue but take a look at my diary I pretty much NEVER eat below 1200 and it's rare that I even NET below 1200 but I had this issue when I was anorexic and on very restrictive diet.(years ago) That's your issue. At your current intake you will also probably have to deal with getting skinny fat. I'm skinny fat now and I hate it. That's what I eat above 1200 I want to gain lean muscle !
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    I had a similar problem when on an expensive (and drastic) weight loss program. I gave up because of it and later a Naturopath told me it was due to lack of minerals. She tested my zinc levels and I had absolutely none in my system Fortunately, my hair has thickened up again but I don't think to the same level. By the way, I've only been on MFP 2 days and it gave me 1200 cals per day. Is that too low?

1200 is too low. It seems to be the number MFP spits out when people select the 'lose 2lbs a week' option. Slow and steady weight loss is much more healthy and sustainable. And you don't feel like your punishing yourself by severe calorie restriction! If you go to - http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/ There is a decent on line calculator. You what to find your BMR and TDEE. You should eat (net calories) above your bmr and below your tdee. Hope this helps:flowerforyou:
  • LynnyAH
    LynnyAH Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Thanks for that Lizziebeth1028.. I just had a quick look at scoobysworkshop.com and it says I should be eating 1499 cals per day. I think I will give the 1200 a couple of weeks and then increase it to 1500. I'll check the site out properly tomorrow. Hopefully, it won't be too long before I can also say I've only 4 lb to go!
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    Thanks for that Lizziebeth102. I just had a quick look at scoobysworkshop.com and it says I should be eating 1499 cals per day. I think I will give the 1200 a couple of weeks and then increase it to 1500. Hopefully, it won't be too long before I can also say I've only 4 lb to go!

Why wait? If 1500 is the right number, why stay at a very low calorie level for a couple of weeks.
  • LadyL2012
    LadyL2012 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    This is beginning to happen to me now. Always had really thick hair so I naturally shed a bit anyway, but the last 2 weeks or so my hair is coming out in handfuls when I brush.

I always try and eat my goals and I haven't been particualrly low in anything. I always try to keep my iron and protein up.

I'm not sure if this loss is to do with simply eating less calories than normal or it's something else.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    This is beginning to happen to me now. Always had really thick hair so I naturally shed a bit anyway, but the last 2 weeks or so my hair is coming out in handfuls when I brush.

I always try and eat my goals and I haven't been particualrly low in anything. I always try to keep my iron and protein up.

I'm not sure if this loss is to do with simply eating less calories than normal or it's something else.

Well some days you are getting a reasonable amount of nutrition and some days you are not and below 1000 calories. I'm thinking you are just not giving your body enough to sustain tissue growth.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    Hair falling out IS NOT NORMAL! Eat more and see a doctor. Simple.
  • Koldnomore
    Koldnomore Posts: 1,613 Member
    Options
    Looking at your diary, you are eating between 800 and 1100 calories most days. You are having hair loss issue because your are not taking in enough nutrition for your body to sustain all it's tissue. It's simple really. Your body is adapting to your prolonged low calorie intake. You should consider this a warning signal that you are eating at an unhealthy level.

This!

This is what happens when you don't eat enough.
  • 2hmom
    2hmom Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    Thanks everybody,I will up my Biotin and see if that helps.