Morning Gym People

Options
I'm trying to get into the groove of being an early morning riser and go to the gym. I've made several attempts and just can't get out of bed.

What tips do you offer on getting your lazy *kitten* out of bed? May I add, I work some nights, so I come home late at night and don't go to bed closer to 11pm.

Replies

• schmenge55
    schmenge55 Posts: 745 Member
    Options
    I used to put my alarm on the other side of the room so I had to get out of bed to shut it off. :)
  • taylor5877
    taylor5877 Posts: 1,792 Member
    Options
    Get up early enough to eat a good breakfast.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    No tips, I just get up....
  • dexfatpants
    dexfatpants Posts: 55 Member
    Options

Yep.....just have to make yourself do it! It gets easier once your body is used to that schedule, at least it did for me & trust me I have never been a morning person...before anyways :wink:
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    If there was a million dollars waiting at the gym for you, but you had to get up at 5am to get it, would you set your alarm clock, wake up and go?

If a loved one was being held for ransom, and to get them back you had to be at the game before 6am, would you be there on time?

If your boss offered you a promotion where you made double the moolah in half the hours and could work from home most days, but you had to show up at the office 3x per week at 5:30am, would you tell him to get stuffed?

These are silly examples, but for each one the gain is important enough that you'd never wake up late, you'd never hit snooze, you'd always get out the door on time. It's your life. You need to decide if it's important enough for you to get up. Just that simple. If it's not, then don't bother looking for tips and tricks. If it is, you will get up, put your shoes on and go.

Everything worth doing is hard and requires sacrifice. We all have a list of excuses as long as our arm. The people that get stuff done are the ones that simply decided it was worth doing. What's your decision?
  • bostongeek
    bostongeek Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I know if I don't do it first thing before work, I won't go to they gym--so easy to make excuses at the end of the day, when you're tired or have other responsibilities. I try not to think when my alarm goes off at 6, I just GO, but if I do wake up enough to think I remind myself that if I'm going to do it today it has to be NOW.

The only "trick" I use is that I pile all my clothes and things in the kitchen so I can just roll out of bed and get moving without waking up the BF. That's more a trick for his benefit than mine, though.
  • ChristyRunStarr
    ChristyRunStarr Posts: 1,600 Member
    Options

I don't have any tips either...I set my alarm the night before, put my clothes out and once the alarm goes off, I'm up, changing and out the door
  • fitblondebaker22
    Options
    For me, knowing the sooner I get up and get moving to the gym, the sooner I can go about with the rest of my day knowing my workout is complete! Puts me in a great mood for the rest of the day and makes me feel good about myself. I work way too early (4am) during the week to make it in the mornings, but on the weekends I am anxious to get down to the gym and get my early morning workout in!
  • Scarlett_S
    Scarlett_S Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    I have been a morning gym person for the lat 18 months or so. I have to get up at 4:40 to get to the gym by five, and be back at my house by 6:15 or so to get kids moving out of bed and to various schools and practices...

Its hard. I will say that once you are there, and working out, you are always glad you did it. I will also say that if I forgo the morning workout and say I'll go in the afternoon or after work, 50% of the time that never happens because I get derailed by life - kids/work, activities etc. Then I'll say I'm going to go run after the kids go to bed, and that doesn't happen either. So it really is the best option for someone like me. I am usually not in bed until 11 pm either so I understand that.

I like the idea of having the alarm across the room. I'll also say that once you do it for a week or two it gets easier.
  • Nysie5
    Nysie5 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    If there was a million dollars waiting at the gym for you, but you had to get up at 5am to get it, would you set your alarm clock, wake up and go?

If a loved one was being held for ransom, and to get them back you had to be at the game before 6am, would you be there on time?

If your boss offered you a promotion where you made double the moolah in half the hours and could work from home most days, but you had to show up at the office 3x per week at 5:30am, would you tell him to get stuffed?

These are silly examples, but for each one the gain is important enough that you'd never wake up late, you'd never hit snooze, you'd always get out the door on time. It's your life. You need to decide if it's important enough for you to get up. Just that simple. If it's not, then don't bother looking for tips and tricks. If it is, you will get up, put your shoes on and go.

Everything worth doing is hard and requires sacrifice. We all have a list of excuses as long as our arm. The people that get stuff done are the ones that simply decided it was worth doing. What's your decision?

THIS!!!!!!!!!!!!! THANK YOU
  • LeenaRuns
    LeenaRuns Posts: 1,309 Member
    Options
    Do it gradually! I started last November getting up 15 minutes early and doing Tony Horton's 10-Minute Trainer. Once that became routine, I got up 30 minutes early and did Jillian Michaels' 30-Day Shred or Ripped in 30. Now, I'm getting up an hour and a half early lifting, running, etc.
  • Scarlett_S
    Scarlett_S Posts: 467 Member
    Options

LOVE it! Going to tell myself that the next time I try to hit the snooze button.
  • Sharyn913
    Sharyn913 Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    I'm up between 5am-5:30am and I go to bed usually after 11pm as well. I set my alarm, when it goes off, I get out of bed. It's a mental game.
  • omanitshann
    Options
    get up as soon as your alarm goes off, don't close your eyes again, or do the 5 more mins thing.
  • Sharyn913
    Sharyn913 Posts: 777 Member
    Options

THIS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1
  • rjmwx81
    rjmwx81 Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    Arnold Schwarzenegger said it best: " None of my rules, by the way, of success, will work unless you do. I've always figured out that there 24 hours a day. You sleep six hours and have 18 hours left. Now, I know there are some of you out there that say well, wait a minute, I sleep eight hours or nine hours. Well, then, just sleep faster, I would recommend."
  • sin485
    sin485 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I used to put my alarm on the other side of the room so I had to get out of bed to shut it off. :)

WOW thats a good one wish id have thought of that :P seriously
  • bellydancer124
    Options

Yeah, pretty much. You kind of have to force yourself to do it. I'm not a morning person at all (and I usually go to bed at midnight or later), but I always hit up the gym first thing in the morning before work.
  • Timmyttt418
    Timmyttt418 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    The only tip that I have is to put all of my gym clothes in the car the night before, that way all I have to do is head for the door in the morning! Than just do it!
  • Jerry1001
    Jerry1001 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I work evening 3 till 11.30 p.m., get to bed about 1 am, alarm set at 7:20 a.m. at the gym by 8 just a habit now.