Light Therapy for S.A.D.

Options
BondBomb
BondBomb Posts: 1,781 Member
OK so the time of year has rolled around when I start waking up depressed and have trouble falling asleep.
This year I want to buy a therapy light. Anyone have any recommendations? There is so much conflicting information out there. I would love to hear from anyone that has had success with a particular device.
You will really be helping me but more importantly, you will be helping those around me to not get stabbed. This will make you a good person!

Replies

• Going4Lean
    Going4Lean Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    you will be helping those around me to not get stabbed.

lol
  • jennaworksout
    jennaworksout Posts: 1,739 Member
    Options
    i have one at work during the winter, I have no windows in my office, so I definitely think that effects my mood lol...it seems to work , you only need it on about 30 - 60 min a day, and takes about a week to notice a difference I heard.
  • TuscanySun
    TuscanySun Posts: 3,608 Member
    Options
    Bump. Would also be interested in recommendations on which to buy.
  • BondBomb
    Options
    i have one at work during the winter, I have no windows in my office, so I definitely think that effects my mood lol...it seems to work , you only need it on about 30 - 60 min a day, and takes about a week to notice a difference I heard.
    What is the name of your device?
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    I hear ya - I battle with SAD myself. it sucks. I haven't tried one of those special lights - yet - but I have considered it.

This time of year (and especially in the winter) I find it doubly important for me to get outside and get the natural light. I'll be trying to do all of my exercise outside all winter unless there's a snowstorm, or it's -20C
  • Iron_Maiden
    Iron_Maiden Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    Thank you for your courage in posting this! A lot of people suffer from this and perhaps don't even realize it! I'd be curious as well as to which machines work best. (((hugs)))
  • Iron_Maiden
    Iron_Maiden Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    I hear ya - I battle with SAD myself. it sucks. I haven't tried one of those special lights - yet - but I have considered it.

This time of year (and especially in the winter) I find it doubly important for me to get outside and get the natural light. I'll be trying to do all of my exercise outside all winter unless there's a snowstorm, or it's -20C
    Good advice! I don't subscribe to tanning salons but in this case do you think they would they be beneficial in moderation??
  • Dad_of_3
    Dad_of_3 Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    I know someone who uses the Verilux lamp.

http://www.verilux.com/

It was selling for $39.99 at Walgreens last year.
  • jennaworksout
    jennaworksout Posts: 1,739 Member
    Options
    What is the name of your device?

I have the Verilux Happy light 6000

http://www.verilux.com/light-therapy-lamps/happylight-6000/
  • MinMin97
    MinMin97 Posts: 2,676 Member
    Options
    OK so the time of year has rolled around when I start waking up depressed and have trouble falling asleep.
    This year I want to buy a therapy light. Anyone have any recommendations? There is so much conflicting information out there. I would love to hear from anyone that has had success with a particular device.
    You will really be helping me but more importantly, you will be helping those around me to not get stabbed. This will make you a good person!
    Whoa. That's serious.
    Okay, so when the sunlight is not on my skin regularly, I start to feel the mood thing....especially on cloudy days.
    Not always, but after a period of time, it can really affect my mood!
    So here is my own remedy...
    I take St.John's Wort herb extract in capsules, the full dose.
    Fish oil omegas
    Vit d3 about 6000iu almost daily
    I hit the tanning beds occasionally as well, if I think I need the mood boost. Actually I use the stand-up booths.
    I discovered this remedy after getting anxiety/depression one time...yikes! Never again!

Of course, regular exercise is a big boost for mood as well.
  • orangesmartie
    orangesmartie Posts: 1,870 Member
    Options
    I bought this one a few years ago: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Lifemax-Light-Portable-Simulated-Daylight/dp/B002MRS5OW/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1349708373&sr=8-1

I needed a small one because i work in a number of locations, so it has to be portable. Its not one of the best one out there but it fitted my budgets and requirements at the time and I love it, Really make use of it.

I also have an alarm clock very similar to this: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Philips-HF3485-Wake-up-Light-Playback/dp/B0044YO9BE/ref=pd_sim_sbs_kh_1

I have real issues with the darkness in winter, coupled with a total inability to get up in the mornings, so I need all the help I can get.
  • Bookers23
    Bookers23 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    Bought this one a few years ago. http://www.amazon.com/Uplift-Technologies-DL930-Day-Light-Affective/dp/B0009MFUWC/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&qid=1349708966&sr=8-9&keywords=Light+therapy

Seems like you can find it cheaper, I know I did not pay that much. Absolutely love it! It is rediculously bright, took about a week to get used to. 20min each morning checking my email did wonders. It's a big unit but I would not trade it for the world. I am a huge fan of light therapy, have seen it work wonders in lots of people. It really straightened out my sleep cycle and energizes me each morning.
  • BondBomb
    Options
    Thanks for the recommendations everyone.
    I totally agree with the exercise! I feel so much better on days when I work out. Unfortunately its not enough during the winter.
    And if I have to swallow anymore vitamins/supplements/horse pills I am going to lose it. I seriously wonder if I can crush and snort. HAH nah I'm just kidding... (sorta)
  • lambertj
    lambertj Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    I strongly advise those that suffer from SAD to take at least 2000 mg of Vitamin D3 a day - within 3 weeks you should see a huge decrease in your symptoms
  • jamk1446
    jamk1446 Posts: 5,577 Member
    Options
    I strongly advise those that suffer from SAD to take at least 2000 mg of Vitamin D3 a day - within 3 weeks you should see a huge decrease in your symptoms

I know you said you don't want to take any more pills but I do recommend this as well. Keeping my vitamin D level in the optimal range helps a lot in the winters even without light therapy.
  • frmeital
    Options
    What you nees is actually a dawn simulator. This is an article that reviews the top 3 best selling ones, it will help you choose:

http://www.light-therapy-reviews.net/dawn-simulator-alarm-clock/
  • lhorncastle
    Options
    Hi there. I work for Lumie so will of course be biased and therefore will not make any personal comments. Nonetheless please do take a look at our website and look at the comments and feedback we get on Facebook, Twitter and other sites. We are very proud of our product :) www.lumie.com Kind regards, Lauren