HRM question

Options
I have a Polar FT4 ..and i love it, when it works. Some days I put it on and it will not be able to detect my heart rate--keeps telling me to check the strap..but it's on right, and moistened (I just wet it--no gel)...it is very frustrating. Any suggestions?

Replies

• DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Ditch the HRM and just work out?
  • belladonna786
    belladonna786 Posts: 1,165 Member
    Options
    did you tighten it? when i lose inches it doesn't pick up my heart rate well until i make it tighter
  • Brizoeller
    Brizoeller Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't say ditch it like the above poster, some people like to keep track of their workouts and calories...but anyway, make sure it is tight. When it does that, stop the activity and restart it. And if all else fails, contact polar and tell them the issue!!
  • Healthydiner65
    Healthydiner65 Posts: 1,579 Member
    Options
    Mine is the ft7 and it does the same.I lower it on my chest a little and it starts working again.
  • SJCon
    SJCon Posts: 224
    Options
    Might try changing the batteries in the transmitter.
  • mikkimomof3
    mikkimomof3 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I did have to ditch it today, but I love having it help calculate how many calories I can eat back each day.since I am still trying to lose weight. I will try everything mentioned and give Polar a call if it doesn't work.
  • CADreaming09
    CADreaming09 Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    Really? I have one and that never happens to me. I would say tighten it?
  • marieautumn
    marieautumn Posts: 932 Member
    Options
    i have the same one and that has never happened to me. maybe its not making contact with your skin. I agree to tighten it like others have said, or call the company you bought it from because you may have a defective device.

and i do not agree with the poster who said ditch it...HRM's make your work outs 100%'s more intense!
  • gsager
    gsager Posts: 977 Member
    Options
    Mine started doing that right before my battery in the watch part died. Also remember to rinse your strap.
  • RandomMiranda
    Options
    I haven't had that issue with mine (same model), but do you wash it regularly or at least rinse it thoroughly after every workout? I've heard it can cause problems not to. It might be the location too. I wear mine right at the base of my sternum, so my bra elastic goes right over the top of it.
  • bjfmade
    bjfmade Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    I had mine do the same thing. I put it in a jar with a lid, add a couple drops of liquid tide and hot water. Shake, shake, shake!! For a couple minutes. Rinse really good and try it again. I also started wearing mine slightly to the side, not completely centered.
  • Di3012
    Di3012 Posts: 2,250 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I did have to ditch it today, but I love having it help calculate how many calories I can eat back each day.since I am still trying to lose weight. I will try everything mentioned and give Polar a call if it doesn't work.

Do you wash the strap in the washing machine every five or sixth time you use it? If not, you need to as a build-up of salt (from sweat) clogs the receptors. You also need to thorough rinse the strap after EVERY use for the same reason.

Do not use softener in your machine when the strap is being washed in there.

Do not dump the HRM as somebody suggested earlier, they are extremely useful gadgets.
  • Marc713
    Marc713 Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    Ditch the HRM and just work out?

That's a silly idea! Even in great shape, it's good to workout with a HRM so you can see the results of your workout. I would always rather be informed than not.

As stated by others, tighten it up, also, tap on the chest transmitter. My FT7 has some issues at times as well, and I either need to adjust the location/strap, give it a good knock (I think it jars the battery and gives it a good connection), or I just remove the sensor and replace it on the strap.

I’m not sure how the sensor works, but I’m assuming that having it snapped into the strap turns it on since it completes the circuit. Therefore, I always remove it from the strap after my workouts to extend the battery life. If you have been leaving yours on the band, you may have a weak battery.
  • Marc713
    Marc713 Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    Do you wash the strap in the washing machine every five or sixth time you use it? If not, you need to as a build-up of salt (from sweat) clogs the receptors. You also need to thorough rinse the strap after EVERY use for the same reason.

My instructions say to rinse it or soak it...I would not machine wash the straps, ever! I just soak mine in the sink with water hot enough I can keep my hand submerged in, but not scalding hot.
  • Di3012
    Options

My instructions say to rinse it or soak it...I would not machine wash the straps, ever! I just soak mine in the sink with water hot enough I can keep my hand submerged in, but not scalding hot.

I rinse mine after every use, thoroughly and wash it in the machine (only because it says to do so in the instruction booklet) after every 5th or 6th use. I only ever have my machine on a 30 degrees wash though, I agree with the temperature bit, I wouldn't put it in a boil wash.
  • caseythirteen
    caseythirteen Posts: 956 Member
    Options
    It was time to replace the batteries when mine started doing that. I hope you can get it working again!
  • Di3012
    Options
    It was time to replace the batteries when mine started doing that. I hope you can get it working again!

Out of interest, when you replace the batteries, I am guessing that you lose all your info from previous training sessions and have to reset all personal info into the watch?

How long did you have your HRM for before you have to replace the batteries, I have had mine for around 9 months now, just wondering how long the batteries should approximately last for....
  • laineybz
    laineybz Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    Mine started doing that right before my battery in the watch part died. Also remember to rinse your strap.

I wonder if this is my problem. Especially as the screen looked faint for a while yesterday on the watch. New battery ordered!
  • mboski2
    mboski2 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I don't have a polar, I have a different HRM. My instruction booklet says not to use tap water but to use saliva or a gel. For some reason tap water does not help it connect with your heart rate. when you're actually putting it on your chest