Any one else dealing with this?

Options
I am living with a form of Cerebral Palsy and I walk with a walker, as I need this for balance and to help me with my walking . For the past few days I have done some sort of exercise.. I use a peddle machine or get out and walk. Doing three to four days in a row is all I can handle..I want to add more days to my routine. I feel good (mentally) that I have done this but after I finish my body seems to stiffen up..My lower back is aching. What can I do all I want to do is lay down Does this improve? I don't like feeling so stiff, maybe its the rainy weather... I hate it.......makes me not want to exercise even though I know it is helpful to my weight loss. Any suggestions??

Replies

• MuddyEquestrian
    MuddyEquestrian Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    Seeing as you have a medical condition causing your discomfort I would talk to your doctor and then try to hook up either with a PT or a trainer at a gym to give you some tools to push through this phase Good luck!
  • donyellemoniquex3
    donyellemoniquex3 Posts: 2,384 Member
    Options
    talk to your doctor and see if he can hook you up with some aquatic therapy.
  • Joanitude
    Joanitude Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I have a friend with CP. She found a great trainer that specifically deals with CP - it is a huge difference. He customizes exercises based on her specific form of CP. I would check and see if you can find someone local to work with.
  • dynad
    dynad Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    see if the doc ok's HOT YOGA!
  • Marc713
    Marc713 Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    Some great ideas were already mentioned! Aquatic therapy is good for you, and very low stress/impact. Also, once you are active for a while, you will likely be able to handle more activity. Good for you for being active, and good luck finding ways to be active that your body accepts. As mentioned, seek out a specialized trainer. Hopefully you are in an area that has someone with that specialization.
  • Marc713
    Marc713 Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    see if the doc ok's HOT YOGA!

I'd go for regular yoga first, hot yoga can be a drain from the heat alone. There are other types of yoga that give you a good workout without the heat. Ashtanga is a great one for that, but if you are walking with a walker, it may not be for you.....
  • iysys
    iysys Posts: 524
    Options
    if you are capable you should get into the water. nothing stretches you out like a swim or even just a float. plus aqua aerobics or swimming will be a lot easier on your muscles and joints.

that is of course if your doctors think that is good activity for your level of cp.
  • Dancerten
    Dancerten Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    Great suggestions by everyone else already, I was also going to recommend aquatherapy :smile: . Another thing that could be beneficial is hippotherapy (fancy-talk for therapeutic horseback riding). I volunteered for years at our local hippotherapy center (before they moved). We had quite a few riders with cerebral palsy, and the riding really helped loosen them up. The motion of a horse's hips when it walks actually mimics the motion of a human's hips when they walk, so it's great for strengthening and stretching the hips and lower lumbar region; plus being around horses is very emotionally beneficial as well, it's hard not to be happy around them :smile: .

I'd check google or the phone book for hippotherapy or therapeutic riding centers. You don't even need any experience with horses. :flowerforyou:
  • Guines9
    Guines9 Posts: 137
    Options
    USE YOUR CREATIVE IMAGINATION, maybe?