How often do you walk your dog(s) & for how long?

Options
yourenotmine
yourenotmine Posts: 645 Member
Just curious - I know so many people who don't walk theirs at all. I shoot for at least twice a day, and the time varies. Unfortunately, I don't make my mark often enough.

Oh, also, if you have more than one, do you walk them together? Mine are trouble makers when they're together, so when I think I can't take it, I have to walk them separately.

Replies

• coliema
    coliema Posts: 7,646 Member
    Options
    I have one dog, and I try to walk him every night for at least 30 minutes, normally it's more but I never head beack any earlier than 30 minutes. I wish I could walk mine twice a day, I just don't have the time with work and school and the home life. To make up for it, I take him in the car with me, he loves car rides :) It's getting colder out here now, so we are walking less days a week.
  • SuffolkSally
    SuffolkSally Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    I do one walk a day. I try to vary the time so she doesn't get set in her ways, but in practice it's usually afternoon. We always walk a minimum 20 mins (that's only in rainy or very hot weather) usually it's around an hour, depending on which route we take.

I've no time for people who don't exercise their dogs adequately and then complain about their behavioural problems, particularly if they've got themselves a big energetic working breed. There was some stupid woman on here once saying that her mastiff, which she couldn't walk because of working such long hours (meaning that the dog was left alone 12 hours a day) had started chewing badly, including through the metal bars of the crate he was confined in. That's just straightforward abuse, although she most offended when I suggested she rehome the poor beast to someone actually prepared to look after it. :angry:
  • chenabear
    chenabear Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I have 2 big dogs we walk them every morning for 1 to 1 1/2 hours then at night we try to take them for a bike run, they love it
  • dawn2313
    dawn2313 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I have one dog, yellow lab, and like most doggies he needs to be out running around quite a bit! I walk him at least once every day. It can vary between 30 and 60 minutes. In the summer it can be longer because we go to this place where he can swim, so he loves that and we're usually out for quite a while!
  • guacamole17
    guacamole17 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    We have three. When I'm home on the weekends they get an hour jog/walk. During the week, about 30 minutes. They also get play time outside with a ball or frisbee. If we skip a day or two, its extremely obvious and good reminder of why they need the exercise!
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    I have 2 and they are very difficult to walk togather, as they both pull on the lead. I'll try to go jogging with the big dog a few times a week, and give them both a looooong walk at weekends. Though it's hard to find somewhere that it's safe to let them run off leash. Max has escaped into a field of sheep on more than one ocassion, which is not acceptable, and Mini gets her fur very matted with teasles if she's in a forest. And I'm trying to encourage my busband to take them for walks too, since he's at home all day and I work full time!
  • Cassie8877
    Options
    I have one dog, yellow lab, and like most doggies he needs to be out running around quite a bit! I walk him at least once every day. It can vary between 30 and 60 minutes. In the summer it can be longer because we go to this place where he can swim, so he loves that and we're usually out for quite a while!

Ditto... other wise the dog park.works
  • guacamole17
    guacamole17 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I have 2 big dogs we walk them every morning for 1 to 1 1/2 hours then at night we try to take them for a bike run, they love it

I wish we had the time and energy to do this for our pups (and ourselves!). I'm impressed!
  • Nix143
    Nix143 Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    I have 2 pugs - they get walked in the morning before I go to work for about 15 minutes then everyday the dog walker comes and walks them for half an hour. Then if the weather is ok when I get home they get walked again. So generally 2/3 times a day :) - on the weekends they get much longer walks from me because we all enjoy it.
  • dawn2313
    Options

Yesss, the dog parks are fun!!
  • yourenotmine
    yourenotmine Posts: 645 Member
    Options

Ugh, I wish I liked the dog park. I turn into a huge neurotic mess, seeing my dog surrounded by a sea of animals whose owners look to me like they are all talking to each other or drinking a coffee and reading the newspaper. It totally freaks me out. I do like taking the one who enjoys it to day care though... That way she gets lots of play time and I don't have to watch. lol

Geez - I didn't mean that to sound like I think you guys don't pay attention at the dog park - that was just my experience. I'm sure you are all lovely people. :)
  • Quarrysider
    Quarrysider Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    The two old ladies get 30 mins once a day, sometimes together. The young loon has to go on her own, twice a day for 30 mins in the morning and 45-90mins pm, depending which of us is doing it. We (UK) don't really have dog parks, but I think we have fewer 'general restrictions' on where dogs can and cannot go, on or off lead. At least for now anyway! My next door neighbour has a lab, I've never seen her out for a walk - must be quite boring for the dog?
  • coliema
    coliema Posts: 7,646 Member
    Options
    I have tried taking my dog on a bike run, it did not work out great at all! He didn't get the concept that he had to run while I biked, he kept stopping and just starring at me and then the leash got caught up in the bike tire, hahaha, ohhh it was a long walk home trying to walk the bike and him.
  • djc315
    djc315 Posts: 585 Member
    Options
    I walk my dog daily, about 2 miles in a very hilly area. We are working up to doing more :)

She is burnt after the 2 miles for like 10 minutes, then is back to her crazy self. So I know she would love to go more often.
  • Wuggums
    Wuggums Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    Maxine gets 2 to 3 walks/jogs per day, usually anywhere between 30 and 90 minutes each. Lately, we've been also been walking wooded trails in the area - which she loves. Plus, she goes to doggie daycare three days a week so she can be around other dogs. I don't like the off leash dog parks in our area - too many stupid owners...
  • dawn2313
    Options

Ugh, I wish I liked the dog park. I turn into a huge neurotic mess, seeing my dog surrounded by a sea of animals whose owners look to me like they are all talking to each other or drinking a coffee and reading the newspaper. It totally freaks me out. I do like taking the one who enjoys it to day care though... That way she gets lots of play time and I don't have to watch. lol

Geez - I didn't mean that to sound like I think you guys don't pay attention at the dog park - that was just my experience. I'm sure you are all lovely people. :)

Haha no worries girl I'm sure some people may do that, but screw that I play with all the dogs there!! Hahaha I pretty much turn into an animal also and just run around with them- that way I can still play with my doggie too.
  • shoshi68
    shoshi68 Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    I aim for one walk a day. When I am off-call, we go to the dog park, and get in 30-60 minutes of walking about. It is a huge, beautiful dog park, and usually has a bunch of dogs and their humans there, weather depending. When off-call, unfortunately, I have to stay close to home, so she gets the ball thrown at the little athletic field across the street until she is tired.
  • Cinnamonie
    Options
    German Shepherd - We take her for a 15 - 20 min walk in the morning and I'm usually out for about 2 hours at night with her walking around in the park. She LIVES for the park. It makes me so happy just seeing how happy she is there, that I don't even mind it!
  • blushingmama
    blushingmama Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I have two. If my husband is home we'll walk them together, if not I walk them separately. They get 3 walks a day, no matter the weather, and we generally go for 10-15 minutes each time. Some of that time is spent doing a good deal of sniffing - the senior dog doesnt' move as fast these days
  • ahviendha
    ahviendha Posts: 1,291 Member
    Options
    I try once a day, usually is every 2-3 days. My bf will walk him independently of me though, he also tries 1x a day but ends up being every 2-3 days as well (our dog is 9 years old, 50 lbs).

I used to walk/run him daily, but since I've been 40+ plus hours at work the past few weeks it's been harder.

We make up for it on the weekends, take our pooch on 4-6 hour hikes through the mountains.