Anyone that has tried Weight Watchers...

What is it exactly? Is it a way of counting calories or what exactly is it? I know someone that did it and she just said that it made her stop eating fast food and pay attentions to calories and she lost about 75 pounds, so I was just curious what it is...

Replies

• garlic7girl
    garlic7girl Posts: 2,236 Member
    Pretty much. They use 'points ratings' attached to different foods and you document each item with the points till you hit your limited points goal for the day. Just like her but uses calories.
    The only reason I would tell someone to try WW if they wanted to because a good leader (if you go to the meetings) teaches you about all the issues and hang-ups folks have around foods. banishing rumors, how to deal with parties, mental changes and healthy daily habits and the importance of exercise.

My leader I had years ago was GREAT!!!!!! She taught me things I would never have learned just here. I was so new and green. I had no clue!
  • SunnyAndrsn
    SunnyAndrsn Posts: 369 Member
    Instead of counting calories, you count Points. At least that's the way it used to be. I lost 60 pounds with Weight Watchers about 10 years ago now, but gained it back because I didn't learn a thing. That was not Weight Watcher's fault, it was my fault. However, I won't go there again because why do that when I can do this for free? Plus I'm learning a lot more about nutrition this way.

With Weight Watchers, my only goal was to eat as much volume as I could within my allotted daily points. Points are calculated by taking into account the calories, fat, and fiber content. Therefore, I cut out a lot of nutritious foods simply because they were high in points (ie, higher fat, lower fiber) and I was not eating a balanced diet. It simply wasn't sustainable. I also ate a lot of processed foods, like the WW brands of frozen meals, and their snacks. Again, this was *MY* issue, not theirs. I made decisions with a dieting mentality, and eventually, I just snapped and quit. I was miserable.

I gained all the weight back, plus about 20 extra :-( That's the dieting mentality. Weight Watchers really does have the dieting mentality because that's how they are going to make money. A good Weight Watchers leader does NOT do this, but a good leader is few and far between, IMO.