Question about homemade recipes...

So I've used the recipe calculator on MFP, but I have a question about servings sizes. Today I created my chili recipe, but how do you determine how big a serving size is? My calculations say that each serving is 361 cals, but exactly how big is that serving size?

Replies

• wildapril
    wildapril Posts: 97 Member
    If you want to be exact, add together the calories of each ingredient you use, and measure the output in chili. Divide it up and you can get X amount per cup.
  • Deisel1974
    Deisel1974 Posts: 19 Member
    I normally go on what other "same type" recipes have listed. So, if it's chilli, I look up a chilli recipe and assume it's close to that serving size.

Not exact but it gets the job done.
  • kenazfehu
    kenazfehu Posts: 1,188 Member
    There's a recipe calculator?
    (going in search)
  • Im_NotPerfect
    Im_NotPerfect Posts: 2,181 Member
    I usually just put down 1 cup as a serving size. I have a lot of home made recipes in my recipe section and that seems like a good general guideline.
  • bnelly55
    bnelly55 Posts: 88 Member
    Awesome. I'm going to go with one cup.....Thanks guys.
  • kellicci
    kellicci Posts: 409 Member
    At the begining it asks you how many it serves. Then it divides the calories by that number. For a liquid like chili you might have to just decide how much you may want your portion to be and and then measure the whole batch out into portions of that size.

What I would do is measure the whole batch using a glass measuring cup into a large bowl just to determine how many cups there are then pour it back in the pot ot crock pot. It's an extra step and an extra couple items to have to wash but it's really the only way to tell the first time..
  • econut2000
    econut2000 Posts: 395 Member
    You had to put in how many people it served when you created the recipe!! When you divide that number into your chili, that's your serving size.
  • kellicci
    kellicci Posts: 409 Member
    I usually just put down 1 cup as a serving size. I have a lot of home made recipes in my recipe section and that seems like a good general guideline.

This won't always work.

If your recepie card says it serves 10 and you portion it out into only 6 servings your calorie count is not going to be right so you need to pay attention to that.

I always make it once then portion it all out (some for freezing some for leftovers the rest to eat) and put that number in as the number of servings to get a more exact count.
  • MoniMoni2u
    MoniMoni2u Posts: 211 Member
    To get the best calorie count you need to make the chili and actually measure out how many cups it makes. After that is done then you can put in the # of 1 cup servings as your serving count. Otherwise, you can be way off. It is only a problem the first time. After that, just follow your recipe in MFP and you have a pretty good calorie count for the next time as well.
  • Ralphrabbit
    Ralphrabbit Posts: 351 Member
    Depends on how many serving I get out of it. If it is too many cals I make it serve more.....
  • bnelly55
    bnelly55 Posts: 88 Member
    To get the best calorie count you need to make the chili and actually measure out how many cups it makes. After that is done then you can put in the # of 1 cup servings as your serving count. Otherwise, you can be way off. It is only a problem the first time. After that, just follow your recipe in MFP and you have a pretty good calorie count for the next time as well.

This makes sense. I will make sure I do this. Thanks
  • MoniMoni2u
    MoniMoni2u Posts: 211 Member
    You're welcome. This is how I did it about 10 days ago! LOL. My family just watched and laughed but it made me quite happy! :)
  • lisamarie2181
    lisamarie2181 Posts: 560 Member
    You can't really put a generic, you should really portion out what you made so you know how many servings there are. I make a big crockpot of chili, and I usually get like 16 1 cups servings. So then I know when I make it in the crock and use the same recipe, it should always be around the same. Would be different if you just made a small pot on the stove may only have like 6 to 8 servings.

I highly suggest measuring it out by 1 cups servings, would make things much more accurate and easier for you. And what nice about the recipes is if you alter anything in the recipe, you can just go and edit it and take out what you need or add in.

I use the recipe feature alot and I find it so very helpful!
  • 3foldchord
    3foldchord Posts: 2,918 Member
    I either measure the chili(or soup) to see how many cups, then use how many cups for a serving.. Or I dip it up into individual containers- count the containers- then use that number for how many servings. (I am making tomato soup today)
  • AmberJo1984
    AmberJo1984 Posts: 1,067 Member
    I've always had the same problem with determining serving sizes. I usually go by how much I eat at a time... and then times that by how many times it takes me to finish it. Of course.... I'm sure that's not right. :laugh: I probably get more than I should have. LOL
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    You're welcome. This is how I did it about 10 days ago! LOL. My family just watched and laughed but it made me quite happy! :)

My family does a lot of watching and laughing too! :laugh: :flowerforyou: