Ladies with bigger calves-skinny jean help!!!!

Options

Replies

• murphy612
    murphy612 Posts: 734 Member
    Options
    I just wanted to throw my two cents in :-)

15" calves are not huge, please stop saying that :-) 14-15 is average which is why most boots are made that size.

"only stick thin girls can pull off skinny jeans" I disagree! If they fit properly, there are some curvey girls that rock the heck out of some skinny jeans. Which is why they make the midrise skinny jean now, for those curvey ladies :-) I think thin ladies look better in flare jeans, so I guess it's all a matter of opinion and what you're comfortable in.

As for the orginal issue the OP posted, I liked the post where she said she buys them to fit her legs and alters the waist, that seems to most logical and less disruption to the fit of the jeans.
  • ohheyy125
    ohheyy125 Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    mine are 15" too, I hate that they aren't slimming with diet & exercise, but bulking! I'm learning what exercises to do to avoid this though. No stair master or treadmill incline for me!
    Anyways, I don't find I have a huge problem fitting into things, even boots. I got my skinny jeans at american eagle and garage. Both are stretchy, but not like tights. They are just stretchier jeans. I always go for the darker jeans or black.
  • AnexRavensong
    AnexRavensong Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    Personally skinny jeans don't look good on anyone >.> they do more harm than good to a body shape. I can't wait for that 80s fad to go away...

I can understand why you'd want them to go with boots, but what about capris or something? They'd reach the top of the boot without going too far over and having to be tucked in. That is what I usually do anyway.
  • TaraMiley
    TaraMiley Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I have big calves. I realize skinny jeans are very in style right now, but they are not a look for everyone... particularly those with big calves. My suggestion would be to not wear them and find a style the flatters and fits you (comfortably).
  • cbrrabbit25
    cbrrabbit25 Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    same problem here. i still wear them but have to get the ones that are a little bigger at the waist so they will fit around my calves.
  • cbrrabbit25
    cbrrabbit25 Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    I recommend trying Jeggings as well. My sister looks adorable when she pairs jeggings and boots. I haven't given them a try, yet.

Yeah I've tried a few pair of jeggings on too and there exactly the same. They suction to my ankles and legs at the bottom to where they feel like there cutting off my circulation. Guess I just can't get skinny jeans. But I may try the straight leg jeans. That'd be my last resort.

American Eagle sells a jean called the skinny kick and they are a lot better. they are skinny but slightly loosen up at the bottom.
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem. When I was 107 lbs I had the same problem, so it's not just that I'm fat now. Skinny jeans just aren't made for gals with bigger calves. I couldn't wear them when I was skinny as a rake, and I can't wear them now either.
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options
    My calves are the same size, 15 inches. I haven't tried on skinny jeans to be honest as I don't think they'd suit me. I'd stick to leggings or tights.

Although I tried on some boots the other day and the sales assistant said they'd look good with skinny jeans. Kind of tempted to try some on.
  • determinedbutlazy
    determinedbutlazy Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    I wear straight cut jeans, but even then I need a pretty serious belt to keep them up! My waist is small, my hips are big, my calves are big. I end up with pretty funny shaped jeans :/
  • cmeade20
    cmeade20 Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    I find they stretch a little after a few wears and then fit around my stupid calves. The ankle still always gets stuck around them when I get undressed though
  • gr8pillock
    gr8pillock Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    I'm a size 8, but I bought Jeggings at the American Eagle outlet in Size 10 for the same reason. I figure, they're jeggings. Even when I reach goal, they'll still never be baggy, so buy the size that fits the calves and legs... Still feel like they were practically painted on me, but they looked damn good! :)
  • jacque930
    jacque930 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I have huge calves and thighs, and I always will. I just came to terms with not being able to wear them and stay far away! I figure that if I can look good and feel good about myself in another style why make myself feel bad by trying to wear something that will never flatter my body?

This I just don't wear skinny jeans. I dislike how tight they feel anyway.
    I like the idea of wearing certain skirts and such to show off the boots. I think that is more flattering than tucking the pants into the boots.

Good Luck!
  • cutiepieinchi
    Options
    I just wanted to throw my two cents in :-)

15" calves are not huge, please stop saying that :-) 14-15 is average which is why most boots are made that size.

"only stick thin girls can pull off skinny jeans" I disagree! If they fit properly, there are some curvey girls that rock the heck out of some skinny jeans. Which is why they make the midrise skinny jean now, for those curvey ladies :-) I think thin ladies look better in flare jeans, so I guess it's all a matter of opinion and what you're comfortable in.

As for the orginal issue the OP posted, I liked the post where she said she buys them to fit her legs and alters the waist, that seems to most logical and less disruption to the fit of the jeans.
    Totally agree! I have an hourglass shape and I look great in skinny jeans. IMO skinny jeans does not =for skinny people only. It is just the cut of the jean. I buy them because I have super short legs and since im losing weight I dont want to pay tons for a tailor only to go down a size.
  • knk1553
    knk1553 Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    My calves are 14in around and I'm a size 2 in jeans. I just generally find I have to go up a size in skinny jeans or I have to get some with super stretchy material. I really like Express Jeans for their jeggings, they're comfortable, look good, and stretch a LOT. Anne Taylor Loft isn't bad either, I have some colored jeans from there, but Express is my jean go-to. Hope that helps!
  • AnninStPaul
    AnninStPaul Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    IMO....only non curvy, pin straight women can pull off the skinny jean

They look great... on my nine year old. I go for straight or boot cut.
  • MENichols5
    MENichols5 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    I also wear a 6/8 in pants and have 15" calves...I've always hated my calves :sad: Anyways, I love skinny jeans and think they look great on many different body types (I am not a twig by any means and still think I look great in them :tongue: :wink: ) I just bought a pair called "legging jeans" made by AG Jeans. They are very expensive but fit like a dream and are so comfy. I don't have any issues with them on my calves! Any type of jean that is stretchy will work best I think!

Now MY issue is finding boots that fit* my size 7 foot and still zip :grumble: .....
  • redtwiglet
    Options
    I have big calves for my size (14 inch calves on a 5/5, 124lb body) but found that Elle brand jeans from Kohl's in a size 2 fit absolutely perfectly! If there's not a Kohls by you, you can always order online. They also come in a lovely red jean. Good luck!
  • redhousecat
    redhousecat Posts: 584 Member
    Options
    I have met very few chicks that can pull off the skinny jeans look. Many more that cannot, but have the confidence to think they can. :laugh: (more power to them)

They are cute on the right person. I don't wear them, my quads get too bulky to wear them.
  • urglewurgle
    urglewurgle Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Even when I was 9 stone I had this problem! I find that jeans from a shop for 'older ladies' tend to be a bit more forgiving. In the UK places like Marks and Spencer's and BHS are good...
  • RedHeadDevotchka
    RedHeadDevotchka Posts: 1,394 Member
    Options
    I like the French store "Tar-Get" more commonly known as Target :P
    I can fit into the fit 4 skinnies, awesome and cheap!