Yogurt

Options
2»

Replies

• lsjd2000
    lsjd2000 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    i eat yoplait - its prob one of the few things i do eat with artificial sweetners - it also at least for me has a bigger selection of flavers that don't included berries -since my dd (who the allergiest says isn't allergic) breaks out in hives anytime she has something with berries in it. I have to have a variety of flavers other then vanilla.
  • det3386
    det3386 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    wow thanks for all the suggestions! I might have to try the greek yogurt since that seems to be the favorite!
  • RabbitLuvr37
    RabbitLuvr37 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    My daily food luxury is my own homemade yogurt. I use milk from a local dairy (very fresh, and no growth hormones!), and one serving of the previous batch. That's it, usually, though I will occasionally whisk in some pure vanilla extract. It's a luxury because I use whole milk to make it. The recipes I've seen have to have dried milk powder added to 2% and skim milks to make it thick, which end up with a lower fat but higher calorie product. I'm always under my daily calories, anyway, so I go for the good stuff. It is always thick, creamy, and smooth, and I can make it more or less tart, depending on how long I let it incubate.
    I eat it at breakfast, with 1 tbsp of local honey, and 1/4 cup of Grape Nuts cereal stirred in for fiber. Super filling, and I don't have to eat all the sugar and preservatives that are in "regular" yogurt.

I am vegetarian, and can't eat the majority of available yogurts, which are thickened with gelatin. I used Stoneyfield (thickened with pectin) as my original starter.

A $1.99 quart of milk makes 6x 3/4 cup servings, plus one serving as a starter for the next batch, so it's cheaper than than the Stoneyfield yogurt my husband likes. :)
  • gummibaehr
    Options
    I loooooooooove Greek Gods Greek Yogurt with Honey. It's full fat so I only have it as an occasional treat. It tastes like ICE CREAM. I should find out if they have a low fat/fat free option..... :wink:

P.S. Stoneyfield and Brown Cow are delicious, have low fat/fat free options, and use natural sweeteners. I refuse to eat yogurt with corn syrup in it.
  • NicoleMikluscak
    Options
    I am currently in love with Yoplait Whips Vanilla Creme. So yummy!!

OMG - that is my favorite too!!!!!!!!!!!
  • sallymurph
    sallymurph Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    This is one thing I don't skimp on. I love Liberte Organic Yogurt. Its a bit more expensive, but worth every cent.
  • bethrs
    bethrs Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    I had never eaten yogurt before- I have not been able to eat it, it grossed me out, but I love stonyfield organics! I eat it everyday. I started out with strawberry- which has a lot of sugar, but now I eat the plain and add my own fruit- blueberry, kiwi, nectarine, cherries, etc. It's delicious, fewer calories and sugar.

BTW- most supermarkets take requests, so if there is something in particular you want, you can make a special request and usually they will carry it at least for a while. I think Stonyfield only makes Plain, Strawberry and French Vanilla in various gradients of Fat Free, Low Fat, or regular/cream top in the regular yogurt. They are behind Oikos and they make a variety of baby yogurts, but I just don't think they have gotten creative with the flavors just yet.
  • jnikitow
    jnikitow Posts: 334
    Options
    I loooooooooove Greek Gods Greek Yogurt with Honey. It's full fat so I only have it as an occasional treat. It tastes like ICE CREAM. I should find out if they have a low fat/fat free option..... :wink:

P.S. Stoneyfield and Brown Cow are delicious, have low fat/fat free options, and use natural sweeteners. I refuse to eat yogurt with corn syrup in it.

I buy the Fage 0% plain, which has 90 calories and no fat. I add 1 tbsp of my own honey to it. It totals 120 calories. The ones that are Fage Total have around 250 calories with the honey.
  • Questfor250
    Options
    any yogurt that is creamy, fruity and only 90-100 calories per serving.
  • rkwestfall
    rkwestfall Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I actually like the Fiber One yogurts...They are 50 calories! They have artificial stuff in it, but it has 5g of fiber...which yougurt doesnt naturally have....but it has Aspartame...which I am not bothered by but many are. I usually add fruit and/or nonfat cottage cheese to it....which adds your fruit serving with more protein!

Good Luck :smile:
  • afyfe
    afyfe Posts: 93
    Options
    Chobani and Fage 0% are my favs. I have to settled for Yoplait most days because the Greek yogurt is really hard to find around here.
  • my2boystx
    Options
    I have never had greek yogurt but by all the posts will have to try it...thanks :)
  • overit
    overit Posts: 273
    Options
    I eat the Fiber One Yogurt every morning with a serving of All Bran Buds and a serving of craisins.
  • deedeehawaii
    deedeehawaii Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    I am vegetarian, and can't eat the majority of available yogurts, which are thickened with gelatin.
    Many people are clueless about what gelatin is made from. Yes folks, gelatin is made from the boiled bones, skins and tendons of animals. So friends, instead of worrying so much about what type of sweeteners are used, I gently recommend that people check out that other ingredient: gelatin. There are a couple of gelatin-free yogurts on a market, just check the labels to find which ones don't list it as an ingredient.
    Eat well!
  • Nelski
    Nelski Posts: 1,607 Member
    Options
    Trader Joe's greek yogurt.
  • zeala
    zeala Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Chobani Greek yogurt for me:smile: I love the texture of it as its so thick and creamy. Im not found of the water types of yogurt:sick: .

Big Chobani fan here too. It has more calories more than the watery yogurts, but it's so much more satisfying and filling. Peach is one of my favorite flavors. Yesterday I had the vanilla one and added my own naval orange pieces to it. SOOOO good. Not going back to the regular yogurts. Greek yogurt it is.
  • sarabear
    sarabear Posts: 864
    Options
    I like the chocolate yogurt, it tastses and feels like pudding, I can't stomach the texture of the regular stuff.......but thats just me....:flowerforyou:
    I like this too!!! if you freeze it for awhile, not too long or it'll be rock hard, but just creamy, it's like chocolate ice cream!