What are you eating/have you eaten for Thanksgiving?

Options
shoshi68
shoshi68 Posts: 407 Member
I will be making sweet potato, bread stuffing, roast brussels sprouts, mashed rutabaga with carrot and apple, and turkey with gravy. I have made a version of pumpkin pie, swapping out the pumpkin for butternut squash and using evaporated milk instead of cream.

My family usually eats Thanksgiving dinner on the Sunday of the Thanksgiving weekend, but this year, we will eat it today. What did you eat/will you eat for your Thanksgiving dinner?

(obvs, I am Canadian. What do Americans eat for Thanksgiving?)

Replies

• coliema
    coliema Posts: 7,646 Member
    Options
    I'm American and on our Thanksgiving I will be eating Turkey, Mashed Potatoes, Stuffing, Squash, Corn, Cranberry Sauce, Dinner Rolls, Carmelized Carrots, Yams, Pumpkin Pie, and Apple Pie.

I cannot wait.
  • rhvandan
    rhvandan Posts: 185
    Options
    I'm going to try to have more veggie options this year... but I'm making:

Roasted Turkey
    Carrot and Parsnip Mash
    Brussel Sprout Salad with Shaved Pecorino cheese
    Homemade Cranberry Sauce
    Rolls (probably store bought, have to have a vice somehow!)
    Roasted Sweet Potatoes (haven't decided which type yet)
    Low Sugar Double Layer Pumpkin Cheesecake (my dad is diabetic-ish.. dont ask)
    Either a cranberry Tart or a Chocolate Pecan Pie

mmmmmmm
  • WarriorCupcakeBlydnsr
    WarriorCupcakeBlydnsr Posts: 2,150 Member
    Options
    This year should be interesting, I'm cooking the whole thing myself (usually my mom does, but my parents moved 3 hrs away and are coming to my place this year because of my work schedule) so I'm planning: Turkey, gluten free stuffing, cranberry sauce, mashed potatoes w/ gluten free gravy, green beans for my parents (I'm allergic to legumes too so I'll have a salad or I may take a shot at one of the recipes I've seen for roasted brussel sprouts,) rolls (gluten free for me) I'm guessing my mom will still make apple pie, and I may make another pumpkin pot de creme (recipe I found last year so I can have dessert too and everybody loved it)
  • lachesissss
    lachesissss Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    <<is American.

Turkey w/ Ho-made Gravy
    Cornbread Stuffing with Maple Sage Sausage and Mushrooms
    Mashed Potatoes
    Candied Sweet Potatoes
    GREEN BEAN CASSEROLE (omnomnomnomnom)
    Poached Pears
    Canned Cranberry Sauce
    Asparagus and Hollandaise Sauce
    Roasted Carrots

Pecan Pie
    Pumpkin Pie

Egg Nog :))))))
  • KittieLea
    KittieLea Posts: 1,156 Member
    Options
    Not sure yet, but I'm American and will be eating anything and everything I love. It's only one day, and it's my favorite holiday so I'm not going to be worrying about logging!!
  • jennaworksout
    jennaworksout Posts: 1,739 Member
    Options
    Canadian here!! i ate it all!!! turkey, stuffing, pie and lots of wine...had a super kickass workout, back it tomorrow :0) don't feel bad at all!!
  • DaughterOfTheMostHighKing
    Options
    I'm eating what I feel like. my family has all the fixings plus the cultural things like chinese noodles, hawaiian poke, and others... :)
  • denezy
    denezy Posts: 573 Member
    Options
    In Manitoba pretty much everyone has all the standards (turkey, stuffing, mashed potatoes, etc) but also perogies and sometimes cabbage rolls. You do not have to be Ukrainian to have perogies at your holiday dinner table. Thank god someone forgot them this year at my dinner!

A family tradition is also Brussels sprouts (I love them) and this year my brother brined the turkey. So delicious!
  • Healthydiner65
    Healthydiner65 Posts: 1,579 Member
    Options
    Turkey
    Mashed potatos with gravy
    green bean casserole(the light version)
    Salad with Hidden Valley Ranch
    Pumpkin Pie
    Whip cream
    Rolls with real butter(saw Dr. Oz on the dangers of artificial butter)
    Olives
    Celery
    Carrots
    Cranberry Jelly
  • Heyyleigh
    Heyyleigh Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    Anything and everything! Not logging either. The one day my mom truly cooks! I am all over it. I have great plans but my stomach wont hold it.............but I will try.
  • wahmx3
    wahmx3 Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    turkey, mashed potatoes and gravy, carrots, turnip, stuffing, mustard pickles and 2 desserts.... pumpkin cheesecake and apple crisp, both made as healthy as i possibly could! I enjoyed every bite and no regrets.... at least until I weigh myself tomorrow, LOL.
  • tuulikki30
    tuulikki30 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    It was easy this year as it was only DH and I home for dinner. We had roast turkey with pan gravy. Cauliflower, roasted garlic mashed potatoes, mashed root vegetables, steamed brussel sprouts, and homemade carmelized onion cranberry suace. We are both trying to lose some weight and decided to drink our dessert with a nice shiraz rather than eat my infamous pumpkin pie.

Leftovers and reheating as I type.:laugh
  • CamillaBeaumont
    CamillaBeaumont Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I had turkey, homemade cranberries, mashed potatoes, gravy, rutabega, peas, carrots, stuffing and a homemade roll. And then for dessert angel food cake as it was my daughter's birthday.
  • XxBrightsidexX
    Options
    Im canadian :) And since im vegan i cant have the turkey my families making :(

but we have stuffing, Glazed carrots, Gravy, Mixed vegtables,cranberry sauce, Mashed potatoes, Mashed califlower. And pumpkin, and apple pie :) with home made whipped cream :)
  • magj0y
    magj0y Posts: 1,911 Member
    Options
    I will be making sweet potato, bread stuffing, roast brussels sprouts, mashed rutabaga with carrot and apple, and turkey with gravy. I have made a version of pumpkin pie, swapping out the pumpkin for butternut squash and using evaporated milk instead of cream.

My family usually eats Thanksgiving dinner on the Sunday of the Thanksgiving weekend, but this year, we will eat it today. What did you eat/will you eat for your Thanksgiving dinner?

(obvs, I am Canadian. What do Americans eat for Thanksgiving?)

we always have
    Lil smokies, deviled eggs,cheese & crackers and other snacky items to graze through the day. (we eat dinner at 6)

For sides, there is sweet potato casserole, mashed potatoes, roasted potatoes, gravy, stuffing. salad

The meat varies. Sometimes it's Ham, sometimes I make a prime rib because it's on sale and there is only 4 of us. I LOVE that stuff. Messy, but effing good!

silk chocolate pie and the pumpkin or pecan pie. usually make fudge that I give away to my friends.
  • blakejohn
    blakejohn Posts: 1,129 Member
    Options
    turkey turkey turkey turkey and then some turkey
  • lamoursuffit
    lamoursuffit Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    American here! (Happy Thanksgiving to my northern neighbors!!!)

We always have:
    Turkey
    Green bean casserole (green beans, cream of mushroom soup, topped with french fried onions)
    Sweet potato casserole (sweet potatoes, cinnamon, and pecans topped with roasted marshmallows)
    Mashed potatoes
    My momma's creamed corn (corn mixed with chive cream cheese)
    Brussel sprouts
    Rolls! So many rolls!
    Cranberry sauce (straight outta the can :glasses: )
    Gravy
    Stovetop stuffing
    Dressing (which is different than stuffing to us southerners. It's cornbread, pieces of turkey, and various spices)

ETA: of course, apple pie with french vanilla Coolwhip, pecan pie, and sweet potato pie. Up here we also have pumpkin pie, but where I come from sweet potato pie was the pie of choice :)
  • sandhillsmom
    sandhillsmom Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    Roast turkey, green beans, broccoli, mashed potatoes, mashed cauliflower for me, spoon bread, homemade cranberry relish, fresh salad, apple pie, pecan pie. I might do some brussel sprouts too. I like to cook enough so I don't have to cook for a few days. LOL