Thinking of giving up...only for awhile

Options
So I am thinking of taking a break from all this weight loss way of living. I lost 60 lbs about three years ago and have put back on 20 lbs. I desperately wanted to get rid of those lbs that I regained.

My diet has been right on the mark. Eating my calories with healthy food, drinking all my water, but I just don't have the motivation to exercise. I just can't seem to do anything over and above my daily activities.

Dieting isn't enough, although I wish it was. Any advice? Should I take a break for a little while? :sad:

Replies

• xxMyWeighxx
    Options
    Honestly, I think it's a lot like quitting school - it's harder to go back to. Don't give up.
  • janiegross
    janiegross Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    "Never going back there again" Remember the person who wrote this, and just keep going. You can do this.
  • jligon92
    Options
    Please don't give up! If you give up, you may gain even more weight back. Exercise is hard, but the hardest part about it is putting aside the excuses and just doing it!
  • lschuttem
    lschuttem Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    rather than giving up, I suggest trying a week or two on maintenance calories, and hopefully then you'll get your mojo back without doing any damage to the progress you've made!
  • Kristie18
    Kristie18 Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    I gave up for a whole to and it was the worse thing I could have done. I gained more when I quit tracking and then I stopped working out as much. Try not to give up :(
  • foleyshirley
    foleyshirley Posts: 1,043 Member
    Options
    rather than giving up, I suggest trying a week or two on maintenance calories, and hopefully then you'll get your mojo back without doing any damage to the progress you've made!

This is exactly what I was going to say. A break is not necessarily bad, but don't make it the kind of break that undoes everything you have worked. for. Eat at maintenance for a couple of weeks, and then come back.
  • flamingo1227
    Options
    I decided not to follow WW closely after losing 30 pounds and making to my goal, so here I am one year later up 35 pounds. Don't give up, take a break using the maintenance. Also, I hate exercise, so I break it up or try to ramp up ordinary chores. Don't be afraid to take a 15 minute walk and just enjoy nature.
  • Impy84
    Impy84 Posts: 430
    Options
    NO motivation to exercise = no motivation to lose weight.
  • kandi_apples
    kandi_apples Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Your all right. I may do more harm than good. I will continue with my 1350 calories and push myself for a week and then re-evaluate. Maintenance will be my second option. Thanks
  • strawberrytoast
    strawberrytoast Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    Remember how hard it was to lose 60lbs!

20lbs is much easier to get rid of than 60. So you put some back on, a lot of us do it. Your still much lighter than you were at 60lbs heavier so stay with us.
  • svelt123
    svelt123 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Hi, I've been there so many times but, what keeps me determined to change my lifestyle is the fear of having a stroke, heart attack, diabetes. etc. Also, knowing that I love myself and my family. I want to live and enjoy living. Choosing to give up is not the answer. (deep inside you know this) But instead of thinking of "taking a break" from weight loss. try to change the way that you are thinking.
    Don't think of your eating healthily and taking care of yourself as something that you need to take a break from. How can you take a break from how you want to live your life? Could it be that you are too hard on yourself? Once in a while, You can include your favorite foods into your meals (even a "forbidden" food.) Just remember portion control and maybe do an extra 10 min. on a treadmill or park your car farther. Play with your dog or kids. Take the stairs at work. March in place for 10 minuets. Don't quit taking care or yourself. Don't be too hard on yourself. Eat whatever you want BUT only eat a portion and give the rest away or share it with anyone. Don't give up. I promise you, you will be thrilled that you did Not give up!.

Take Care
  • moreORless50
    moreORless50 Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    dont give up i walk as my exercise i tryed a few years back to loose weight with mad workouts and i gave up but this time all i do is walk and its working well
  • Andrea3030
    Options
    There are SO many forms of exercise out there! Maybe you hate the gym...go on a bike ride. Maybe you hate working out outdoors...go dancing. Maybe you hate dancing in front of people...get a fitness DVD. Maybe you hate working out in your living room...take the dog for a walk.

I find it unbelievable that most people can't find at least 1-2 physical activities they enjoy.
  • mearlie
    mearlie Posts: 224
    Options
    Dont give up. Go get new workout clothes for your lighter body and put them on tomorrow. Even if you don't work out. Enjoy the new clothes that fit your body NOW, that won't fit if you give up.
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options

^^^Nailed it!
  • MrsSullivan08
    MrsSullivan08 Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    I have lost all 59 of my past pounds by watching what I eat only and I don't exercise other than what I do on a daily basis. I don't think you should quit. Just try adjusting your goals maybe higher or lower depending on what you currently have them set on.
  • jamielynn020610
    jamielynn020610 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Don't give up!! You will find it harder to restart once you are ready to do it again. I have almost done the same but with the help of my friends on here, Facebook, friends in my life and my hubby, I have stayed with it.
  • rebelontherun
    rebelontherun Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    Honestly I would say not to give up! Stay strong, you've lost weight and you can continue to do so. I agree that it's very similar to quitting school and all it does is delay any further progress. It delays your end result.
  • determined136
    Options
    Here is my favorite saying...take it how you want to

Cowards never start
    The weak never finish
    Winners never quit

Which one are you?
  • lisamarie2181
    lisamarie2181 Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    So I am thinking of taking a break from all this weight loss way of living. I lost 60 lbs about three years ago and have put back on 20 lbs. I desperately wanted to get rid of those lbs that I regained.

My diet has been right on the mark. Eating my calories with healthy food, drinking all my water, but I just don't have the motivation to exercise. I just can't seem to do anything over and above my daily activities.

Dieting isn't enough, although I wish it was. Any advice? Should I take a break for a little while? :sad:

Depends on what you mean by break....Are you going to go back to bad eating? If so then you are looking at this as a diet and not a lifestyle change and run the risk of gaining more weight back. Why ruin the progress you have already accomplished!?

How long have you been at the good eating/drinking? Have you given your body enough time to adjust? Sometimes it takes weeks for your body to respond, everyone is so different, you can't "expect" certain losses, your body will drop it when it is ready, and i know that can be frustrating, but you need to make it a lifestyle change and stop worrying so much about the number. Just stopping is going to get you no where, so I would suggest not to. Have you taken measurements?

Just don't beat yourself up over the exercise. You CAN lose weight without working out, but it definitely helps if you do workout. Maybe even just try and set a goal, walk like 20 min or something small that it doesn't feel like much work for you.

It really comes down to how bad you want it, do we all love working out? I highly doubt it, but I don't think you will ever get to a point of enjoying it or making it a habit if you do nothing, at least starting to do something may help you to get more in a routine.

Small steps can turn into big ones, just takes the commitment.