Anyone else....

Options
HATE exercising? I literally dread having to work out. I have zero stamina, and I don't feel super amazing after I sweat and pant. I'm the kind of person that can actually go to sleep right after working out. I have never been one to like super physical activity, and the only thing that makes me work out is that i love food so much that i want those extra calories to be able to eat back. Anyone else feel the same?

Replies

• Danielle817
    Danielle817 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I definitely feel the same way!! =(
  • mgreen7547
    Options
    I'm right there with you. I hate it. The sweating and getting stinky is the worst part for me. Yes... I feel a little more upbeat afterwards, but then I have to spend more time washing off the icky. I have JUST (as in last week) started exercising again and have to force myself to do it. Gosh I wish laying around reading a book burned as many calories as speed walking or biking! : )
  • livelifenow91
    livelifenow91 Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    I definitely was the same way for a LONG time...but... i've been forcing myself to workout every day for at least 20 minutes for over 30 days now...and..it's getting so much easier. like...as time goes on, i actually look forward to it now and can push myself soo much further...i bet if you keep going and build up stamina, you'll feel the same?
  • AllTehBeers
    AllTehBeers Posts: 5,030 Member
    Options
    Me! I hate it. I've always just felt like a big bumbling mass with an achey back and feet. I haven't exercised in months but I'm eating okay so I'm hoping that one day I'll actually feel like I can workout without dying.
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    What types of work outs have you tried? There are so many physical activities out there surely there must be something that's tolerable for at least 30 minutes?
    Walking
    biking
    hiking
    jogging
    zumba/dancing
    fitness classes
    workout dvds
    swimming
    yoga
    ?
  • slackerwoman
    slackerwoman Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    I used to feel that way. Forced myself to just walk. But part of it was that it bored me.

Maybe you just haven't found an exercise you love? Have you tried lots of things?

I still don't like doing the same thing all the time and have to force myself if I get bored. But if I have time to do exercises that I love...like extreme obstacle course training, or hiking. I find those things to be a fun way to spend my time.
  • reagentmel
    Options
    I totally felt that way until I started pushing a little harder on the treadmill or elliptical, and then began to feel really good afterward. I had gotten to the point that I got out of breath really easily, and everything just seemed like too much effort. Even though I had been going to the gym and walking on the treadmill for about a year, I was trying to keep my heartrate in the "fat burning zone", and never really pushed myself. Now, I love how good I feel after my workouts, and the additional energy I have throughout the day. Give it time, and when you're ready, do some intervals at higher intensity to begin pushing your limit a little each workout. Made all the difference for me.
  • 3lilangels
    3lilangels Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    try doing just dance or zumba.....it's really fun, you can make a total fool out of yourself in your own home, yet at the same time sweat up a storm and burn baby burn.......treadmill can get quite boring gotta throw some fun into it.....I even dance sometimes on the treadmill cause I get bored lol....;)
  • ginao52
    Options
    I love my gym because every machine has a tv. I can watch my favorite show and time goes by way faster! I look down and I've already burned a few hundred calories without realizing it. You can even read a book on a bike too. I am also ready for bed after a workout and sometimes want to leave the gym, but then you start seeing results and its totally worth it!
  • agentphantom
    Options
    On some days my motivation is low to get into the gym but as soon as I get warmed up and knock it out, I feel fantastic
  • dumb_blondes_rock
    dumb_blondes_rock Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    well i do my elliptical in the morning, and i walk my dog for about 50 minutes at night....the nights i don't work out are the ones that im waitressing, which is a workout all in its own. I took out my dining room table and put my elliptical in the dining room so i could watch my tv while working out, but its still a pain. I JUST started back to working out after a few weeks off due to surgery, and its amazing how fast your body can get out of shape. I loved to cardio kickbox, but i can't afford the gym and its just not the same at home. I'm def going to save up my money to get the zumba for my wii, but the wiifit is kind of boring to me just on its own.
  • shorty35565
    shorty35565 Posts: 1,425 Member
    Options
    I felt tht way in the beginning, but somewhere in the middle I began to love it! So just keep on doing it. You'll build up ur stamina & start feeling better ab urself.
    You said you love kickboxing, then u should do what I started with: Turbo Jam. it's a video you can buy and do at home.
  • cbrrabbit25
    cbrrabbit25 Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    no, i love it and always have. but then again, i started early so i saw the results right away and that helps keep me going. i love being a muscular girl!
  • pixtotts
    pixtotts Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    I have to admit i get very little enjoyment out of most things...
    but i love the just dance game for the wii :D ! i dont feel like im exercising im just jumping around the room waving my arms about :D
    x
  • Meg_78
    Meg_78 Posts: 998 Member
    Options
    I just dread it till I get stared, once I'm in it I mostly just find it boring, but I do feel awesome after.

I really have to talk myself into getting it done every single time. Which is boring!
  • AndreaGrace29
    AndreaGrace29 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I used to be the same way! At 225lbs, My knees hurt, I was sweating like crazy, I couldnt catch my breath and just wanted to fall over. BUT then I found Zumba, where you can make it your own. You can choose the intensity you can want to do. I used to do a level 1 (according to my instructor) which was the easiest. After a few months I got used to it, I'm between a 2 and a 3, three being the highest.

you can find instructors at who hold classes at churches, martial arts places, rec centers at zumba. com

It really is a blast and just keep at your own pace, do what you can, and eventually you will build up some stamina. being in an actual class is motivating too. Its completely different than being at home because when you are in front of people, you want to try to keep up. Zumba at home bores me.. but going to a class that has an instructor full of energy, and a class of ladies hooting and hollering while they are working out, is a lot of fun. :)
  • gingerjen7
    gingerjen7 Posts: 821 Member
    Options
    HATE exercising? I literally dread having to work out. I have zero stamina, and I don't feel super amazing after I sweat and pant. I'm the kind of person that can actually go to sleep right after working out. I have never been one to like super physical activity, and the only thing that makes me work out is that i love food so much that i want those extra calories to be able to eat back. Anyone else feel the same?
    I did, until I got into a routine. I HATED it. HATED it with a PASSION. I would swear at the television (I do a lot of DVD or DVR'd workouts) and make excuses about why it was okay to quit halfway through, saying that was good enough. Or I would say, "I'll just do it tomorrow." But I got sick and tired of feeling like crap about myself, and because of MFP and my MFP pals, I made a commitment to do the September 30 Day Shred Challenge, and for once, I finished it. Somewhere in the area of halfway through, I had the break-through. I remember on day 15 thinking I was feeling better and looking better, so I didn't need to continue. So I cracked down on myself, telling myself that was the kind of thinking that sabotaged me so many times before and that I needed to push through this if I wanted to REALLY change. And then several days later I realized that I wasn't trying to talk myself out of working out anymore. I wasn't making excuses or thinking "In a few minutes, a few more minutes, later, tomorrow" or anything else. I was just doing it. I don't LOVE it, yet, but it's a part of my life now and I feel satisfied when I'm finished.
  • mtlkate
    mtlkate Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I am the least athletic person I know. I don't play any sports. I'm clumsy. As soon as I ramp up my heart rate, I turn brilliant red in the face and sweat incessantly. I've been walking outside for awhile listening to books on tape which reduces the boredom. I started MFP a few days ago and decided to use a treadmill at a faster pace. I can watch tv and that helps a little. But exercise is the only way I know to be able to eat normal food albeit with portion control. I dislike it all, but I dislike being fat more.
  • BR3ANDA
    BR3ANDA Posts: 622 Member
    Options
    I did, until I found and exercise I enjoy doing, only took 20 years. My workout of choice now is DDPYoga.
  • drgndancer
    drgndancer Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    Me! I hate it. I've always just felt like a big bumbling mass with an achey back and feet. I haven't exercised in months but I'm eating okay so I'm hoping that one day I'll actually feel like I can workout without dying.

I hate to break it to you, but losing weight is not equal to getting fit. The only way to get fit is to exercise. If you wait until you lose weight to start exercising, you'll just feel like a smaller bumbling mass with an achey back and feet. Best to start building good habits, and use it to help with your weight loss.