Chip replacement?

Options
Do any of you have good recommendations for a tortilla chip replacement? I love home-made salsa and nachos, but I don't want to spend most of my carbs and fats in one meal.

Replies

• cbrrabbit25
    cbrrabbit25 Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    try snap pea crisps. i get them at trader joes.
  • marhattap
    marhattap Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Parmesan chips are a great substitute! And very filling. High in fat, however. So eat in moderation.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    I've never tried it myself but a friend of mine bakes up those low carb tortilla wraps for chips
  • triathlete5301
    triathlete5301 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    I don't know if it would work, but there are chips called pop chips- they are cooked with heat and pressure. Those might work.
    You may wanna try homemaking your own tortilla chips with tortillas and bake them- that way you know how they were cooked :smile:
  • hamstermann
    hamstermann Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I've never tried it myself but a friend of mine bakes up those low carb tortilla wraps for chips

Oooh...I like that Idea. I'll look into that one. And the others too. Thanks for the help, keep it coming! :)
  • PattyfromToledo
    PattyfromToledo Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    baked sweet potato chips ... I think one serving is like 14 chips!!
  • alyja09
    alyja09 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I like eating sliced jicama with salsa. It's crunchy, but it's juicy so it won't get the full affect. Still good, though.
  • MizzDoc
    MizzDoc Posts: 493 Member
    Options

This ^^

I spray them lightly with olive oil using my Misto, then sprinkle on cayenne pepper or whatever other seasoning I may want. I then pop into the oven for about 5-8 min (350 degrees), turning them once. Let them cool slightly then break them apart.

Its most excellent! :)
  • drog2323
    drog2323 Posts: 1,386 Member
    Options
    Pop chips rock
  • Heather_Rider
    Heather_Rider Posts: 1,159 Member
    Options

Oooh...I like that Idea. I'll look into that one. And the others too. Thanks for the help, keep it coming! :)

I do this. lay a flour tortilla on a cookie sheet & spray lightly with pam spray. cut with a pizza cutter, then bake lightly until brown. (will still be slightly soft) allow to cool, and they will harden) they are really good!

If you MUST have the salty, (you shouldnt with the salsa) then use sea salt. They are fab! My kids prefer them (they are teenagers) because they like to make them! Matter of fact... i think we will make some tonight! Care to share your salsa recipe?
  • xo_Sarah_xo
    xo_Sarah_xo Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    For a chip replacement I like to put chocolate slivers (dairy milk makes them) in the fridge. When they are cold they crunch in your mouth, yummm! Oh, wait........you wanted a HEALTHY alternative :indifferent: my bad!
  • natymatos
    natymatos Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I bought lentil chips at Whole Foods last Friday and they were awesome. 22 chips for 110 calories... and it was for salsa that I bought them. Yum, yum!
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    I eat celery or cucumber with salsa sometimes. But I actually just get the bite size Tositos to help my chip craving. 12 chips is 70 or so calories. Not too bad. A full serving is 24 chips at 140 calories, I think. With homemade salsa, you could easily have the snack for under 100 calories.
  • wiltl
    wiltl Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Pop chips now have flavored tortilla chips. They're pretty good, but don't quite have that same crispy snap a dorito or other tortilla would. I just had some with lunch, chili limon flavor. 120 cals/1 oz serving.

Baking the low carb tortillas also works, and I've even tried to fry them myself (before MFP).

I also like the Food Should Taste Good tortilla chips. They can act as a chip or cracker, but are higher in cals than pop chips. They're organic and good fiber, etc.
  • renatte68
    Options
    I hear you on this one!!!!! I'm currently trying alternatives as well. I LOVE chips and I NEED crunch when I'm having a meal. I'm trying pretzels now, filling for sure, and gives the crunch. Not sure about a replacement for your tortilla chips though.
    I also like Popchips and you might look into the various flavors of rice cakes that are out there. Good luck with this one!!!
  • scottatorres
    Options
    Melba toast or Wasa bread crackers...they're completely disgusting but they're crunchy and have very little calories
  • hamstermann
    hamstermann Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    (snip) Care to share your salsa recipe?

It's a co-worker's recipe, not mine, but it was ALWAYS requested for work parties when we worked together.

1 Can of Steam Peeled whole Tomatoes
    1/2 white onion
    4-6 cloves garlic
    1/2 Jalapeno (keep seeds in for more kick, or take them out if you're not a pepper head)
    1/2 Serrano (only if you like it hot, can skip if you want it mild)
    1 Tablespoon Honey
    1 teaspoon Salt
    1 Tablespoon ground black pepper
    Half a bunch of Cilantro
    Crushed red pepper flakes (add to taste)
    Cayenne pepper powder (Add to taste)

Pulse blend to the consistency you prefer, hide in a dark closet while you eat so you don't get mugged for it. :)
  • RMLMoore
    RMLMoore Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Kale chips are yummy and there are good recipes on the net if you can't find them to buy.
  • hooperkay
    hooperkay Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    beanitos are new. black bean chip.. very good. low carb and calorie.
  • Anna800
    Anna800 Posts: 637 Member
    Options
    try snap pea crisps. i get them at trader joes.
    I can eat a whole bag in one sitting and they are not dip friendly.

http://store.popchips.com/category/tortilla/730.aspx