Hot Chips!

Flaming hot cheetos, Hot fries, Doritos Dinamita. I love them all. I LOVE hot chips. And I find myself munching them on a daily even though I'm supposed to stay away from processed/junk foods. So, does anybody have any snack recipe I can make that I will enjoy as much as my favorite hot chips? Or an alternative hot chip that's better for you?

(Also, I can't have soy. So spicy edamame are out...even though I used to love them)

Replies

• kyodi
    kyodi Posts: 376 Member
    Wasabi peas?
  • I find that I LOVE the Trader Joe's Wasabi Roasted Seaweed snacks - 30 cal/3 gr protein per serving and they are HOT!
  • pamperedlinny
    pamperedlinny Posts: 1,642 Member
    bumping because I love the same snacks.

I did start buying individual bags of Smart Fries in Jalapeno Trio from Amazon. 110 cals for 65 pcs. But that's still a processed food.
  • cmVT208
    cmVT208 Posts: 19
    Try roasted chickpeas! They are so good & you can season them any way you choose. I have used a pinch of cayenne, 1 tsp cumin & 1 tsp smoked paprika. That is for 2 15oz cans of chickpeas. Drain & rinse them. Dry them in a kitchen towel & toss with your spice mix & 2 Tbsp olive oil. Roast at 400 degrees for 25-35 min. I toss them on the cookie sheet (lined with parchment) after 15-20 min. Bake until crispy & golden. 2 cans serves about 6 with 6g fat & 169 calories.
  • Hi, I bought an Actifry, (quite expensive, but worth it). I can cook 500g of chips with 1 teaspoon of oil. I cook anything in it that needs deep frying (calamari rings, chips etc) in it. You get a recipe book with it as well.

I also have a Mr T flavourwave oven, which I cook everything else in, no oil whatsoever (schnitzel, sausages, toast) and it self cleans (these are fairly cheap).

I'm in Australia so not sure if you can get an Actifry in America.
  • BernadetteChurch
    BernadetteChurch Posts: 2,210 Member
    Try roasting your own vegetable crisps. Very thinly slice root vegetables like carrots, parsnips, beetroot, sweet potato. Add a small amount of olive oil or cooking spray and work through with your hands so the vegies are coated. Cook in the oven in a single layer on a low heat, but keep an eye on them as if they're too thin they'll burn. You can also experiment with seasonings. It can be a bit hit and miss as you figure out the right sort of thickness to cut the veg, and the cooking time but it's worth it.

Love the idea of the roasted chick peas!