Pilates people...? Who's into it??

Options
Hi guys, I was thinking of trying Pilates, but at the moment my core isn't the strongest, I've been working out often at the gym and really pushing myself... I do not enjoy yoga at all... but what about pilates? Is it worth a shot??

Replies

• Winwin101
    Winwin101 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm new to Pilates and it is challenging but your muscles and especially your core will get strong fast. I did it for a week ( a while ago before a got distracted by other things) and noticed a great difference. By the end of the week i could do some of the moves that i was struggling with before. Those who regularly practice it say you get pretty fast results. In fact, Joseph H. Pilates is quoted to have said:
    'after ten times you'll feel a difference, after twenty times you'll see a difference and after thirty times everyone else will see the difference'.
    Remember to do Pilates correctly as form and posture are crucial for getting results. I'm planning to make Pilates part of my exercise routine and have several DVDs to make it interesting. I especially love Suzanne Bowen's '10 Minutes Solution Pilates Perfect Body' DVD because it is designed for those of us who are short on time but want to focus on a particular part of the body or do the whole fifty minutes or mix and match different parts. This DVD is available in the UK but it might be available else where too and it is reasonably priced too. Good luck!
  • NyimaR
    NyimaR Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I started doing a Pilates class a few weeks ago having used a DVD before and it's a much better work out having someone to correct my form. I've restarted the DVDs now and am benefitting much more from them than I did before. I really enjoy my class and it's improved my core muscles no end, as well as being really relaxing after work. I can't recommend it enough!
  • kdub67
    kdub67 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    I started doing pilates about three years ago. Like you, I do not enjoy yoga. I love pilates, and they are very different. I do both mat classes (which are free at my gym) and reformer classes. I prefer reformer over mat, just because I love the machines. Don't worry about not having a strong core...you will build one during these classes, for sure! I started getting a bit burned out on it and have dropped down to taking one reformer class a week, but it is a great workout and a lot of fun. Give it a try!!
  • conniehv40
    conniehv40 Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    Anyone know if there is a pilates on-demand?

Also, what is the difference between yoga and pilates?

I guess I should research before asking!
  • jinelle5
    Options
    pilates did amazing things for my body when I was doing it. Really tightens everything....i should probably start again...