Deadlifts.... advice please?

Options
Hi guys, I was doing my deadlifts at the gym this morning, I use a curved bar with 15kgs weight. I do a squat and keep the bar close to the front of my legs and keep my back as "straight" as possible. I have been told my technique is OK, but this morning I managed 1 set of 12 reps, the went to do my 2nd set of 12 and could only make it to 6 reps! My lower back - the sides of it were really hurting.

Any advice, hugely appreciated.

Replies

• wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    First,

Curved bar? Are you using an ez-curl bar for deadlifts?
    Second, 15kg seems awful light. It's not even the weight of a naked barbell. Unless you have a specific injury/condition/disability, you should be doing a lot more than this.

Why not go heavy and do less reps and get more work done?

I bet a lot of this is a form issue. If not all. Are you setting the curlbar on the ground between reps? I doubt it's mid-shin height off the floor... Also problematic.

Also the bar shouldn't be "close to" it should be "dragged against" your legs. You don't start in a squat position either.

Low back pain in a deadlift is often caused by rounding of the back.
  • MinMin97
    MinMin97 Posts: 2,676 Member
    Options
    Yes, sounds like form.
    Be careful, I love these, but w/o proper form=injury!

To get the proper form, I Youtubed for examples
    I asked a trainer
    I also asked another lifter I trust.

It's good to start light, to see how your back responds.

It's worth it to learn to do these, they are powerful for shaping and strengthening!
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    You'd have to really post a video to get any real critique.

For starters, I'd make sure you're using a standard olympic bar. It should be 45lbs (around 20-21kg?) and be 7' long. It should be straight, no curves.

Also, the bar should be off the ground with 45lb plates at each end. This is 135lbs total. If you cannot deadlift 135lbs, hopefully your gym has smaller weights that are the same overall height so you can learn proper form. Assuming they don't have such weights, and you can't pull 135lbs, you can always set the bar in a power rack. Use the safety bars and set them so that the bar is approximately 8.75-9" off the ground. If they don't have a power rack, find some boxes, or stack other weights or something to lift the bar up. Having the bar too close to the ground is going to make proper form impossible.

Start from there and see how it goes. If your lower back hurts, then I agree - you're probably rounding your back. I would NOT up the weights until you get your form down. Lots of light reps are fine for learning the moves.
  • JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Options

For starters, I'd make sure you're using a standard olympic bar. It should be 45lbs (around 20-21kg?) and be 7' long. It should be straight, no curves.

Also, the bar should be off the ground with 45lb plates at each end. This is 135lbs total. If you cannot deadlift 135lbs, hopefully your gym has smaller weights that are the same overall height so you can learn proper form. Assuming they don't have such weights, and you can't pull 135lbs, you can always set the bar in a power rack. Use the safety bars and set them so that the bar is approximately 8.75-9" off the ground. If they don't have a power rack, find some boxes, or stack other weights or something to lift the bar up. Having the bar too close to the ground is going to make proper form impossible.

Start from there and see how it goes. If your lower back hurts, then I agree - you're probably rounding your back. I would NOT up the weights until you get your form down. Lots of light reps are fine for learning the moves.

Agree, but if strength is an issue check to see if your gym has a mini-olympic bar. I think they're 5' long and weight about 25lbs but it's a straight bar that uses olympic plates. You could potentially use 35lb or 45lb plates sooner to better help with form. Other than that find some good videos on YouTube, Mark Rippletoe and anybody from EliteFS are great.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options

Agree, but if strength is an issue check to see if your gym has a mini-olympic bar. I think they're 5' long and weight about 25lbs but it's a straight bar that uses olympic plates. You could potentially use 35lb or 45lb plates sooner to better help with form. Other than that find some good videos on YouTube, Mark Rippletoe and anybody from EliteFS are great.

That's true, I didn't think about that. I was mainly trying to illustrate NOT using the ez-curl bar ;)
  • JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Options

That's true, I didn't think about that. I was mainly trying to illustrate NOT using the ez-curl bar ;)

Oh trust me, I'm with ya' there. I just see those bars at my gym lying around on the floor everyday because people are too ****ing lazy to rack them so it was just top of mind. LOL
  • Jersey_Devil
    Jersey_Devil Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    can't really say much without seeing your form, but sounds like it is way off. First, I don't think I've ever seen anyone use a EZ bar for deadlifts. use a straight barbell. and do not lift with your back. you'll tear stuff up if you do that. Im just going to assume we are dealing with poor form.
  • _stephanie0
    _stephanie0 Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    deadlifts.jpg

it should hurt your hamstrings more than back if your form is good. i started at like 30kg now my max is 95kg. just keep at it, deadlifts are awesome
  • Cr01502
    Cr01502 Posts: 3,614 Member
    Options
    First,

Curved bar? Are you using an ez-curl bar for deadlifts?
    Second, 15kg seems awful light. It's not even the weight of a naked barbell. Unless you have a specific injury/condition/disability, you should be doing a lot more than this.

Why not go heavy and do less reps and get more work done?

I bet a lot of this is a form issue. If not all. Are you setting the curlbar on the ground between reps? I doubt it's mid-shin height off the floor... Also problematic.

Also the bar shouldn't be "close to" it should be "dragged against" your legs. You don't start in a squat position either.

Low back pain in a deadlift is often caused by rounding of the back.

Yes. I agree with this. Also you should be feeling a stretch in the hamstrings when you bring the bar down and you should be driving with your glutes. I think your form is off. Might be worth checking out some Mark Rippetoe videos on you tube or better yet seeing a professional.
  • RedHeadDevotchka
    RedHeadDevotchka Posts: 1,394 Member
    Options
    The first third of the lift should be with your legs for sure.
    Also, straight bar only, I wouldn't use a curved bar at all.
    It does sound like you are rounding your back, make sure you have your chest out while doing this.
    If you could post a vid that would be super helpful.
  • madmags
    madmags Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    You said you went into a squat and kept the bar close to your shins. The deadlift is not a squat, it is totally different. The motion to get down to the bar is butt back, legs slightly bent. The motion to lift the bar comes from thrusting your butt and hips forward while pulling your shoulders back. At the top, your hips should be fully foward and sholders should be back. DO NOT ROUND YOUR BACK.
  • Siekobilly
    Siekobilly Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    Don't think of it so much as lifting. Think of it as pushing your heels into the ground while pulling your shoulders back, and then work on pushing your pelvis forward until you are standing up straight.
  • nixism
    nixism Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    My usual trainer who has left my gym gave me this program to include the deadlifts... from reading all of this, I am going to YouTube and see what I can find on deadlifts for a start. I have a program check in next week with the gym, so I will be checking in on that.

I am only 5ft 2 and fairly new to lifting, hence the 15kg bar... yes it is a curved bar (wavy shape where you have your hands holding it). I will opt for a straight bar then, and yes, when I said "close to" my shins, I meant as I go down I practically am touching them... I can it a squat, cause it goes down - and works your legs...

I'll see what I can find online. Does anyone have a good link to an actual deadlift... I really want to start lifting heavier... but I am only starting out so don't wanna break myself :)
  • nixism
    Options
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ohPzfgSmfDY

Thats basically what I am doing - however using a curved bar with 15kgs weight on it...

Is this OK form, or not really??
  • kakklespakkle
    kakklespakkle Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    My usual trainer who has left my gym gave me this program to include the deadlifts... from reading all of this, I am going to YouTube and see what I can find on deadlifts for a start. I have a program check in next week with the gym, so I will be checking in on that.

I am only 5ft 2 and fairly new to lifting, hence the 15kg bar... yes it is a curved bar (wavy shape where you have your hands holding it). I will opt for a straight bar then, and yes, when I said "close to" my shins, I meant as I go down I practically am touching them... I can it a squat, cause it goes down - and works your legs...

I'll see what I can find online. Does anyone have a good link to an actual deadlift... I really want to start lifting heavier... but I am only starting out so don't wanna break myself :)
    Heavy for one person is light for another and vice versa. Lifting heavy is about lifting heavy FOR YOU. You are very sensible to start at a weight you are comfortable with. When you have figured out how to get your form correct then you can start increasing the weight and be happy that you're doing it safely. Best of luck to you xxx
  • nixism
    Options
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kMmOfluN4h4

This one is probably easier to see without the huge bar/weights...
    This is what I am doing... I hope - I have been watching my form as best I can...
  • Tyrone_S
    Tyrone_S Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I won't give you any technical advice because there is heaps of that available through Google / youtube. However If you are new to this exercise then build up slowly. This one puts far more strain on your back than you're probably used to, even if you have already been strength training. It's very easy to overdo. It's also quite a technical movement, in the sense that your form really needs to be spot on to avoid injury.

Lift light for a few weeks to get your technique sorted and condition your back. Ask someone to spot you, not to actually assist with the lift, but to stand side on and critique your technique on every single rep. I always try to get a spotter who knows what they are doing when lifting heavy even though I've been dead-lifting for years.

Also, there are two common types of dead-lift, bent leg and stiff leg. Both are useful so look them both up!
  • nixism
    Options
    Thank you, I will definately do this and get someone to spot me/check my form at the gym this week.
    I have done quite a bit of googlin' and youtubing now... I can't see whats wrong with how I am doing it, but I will get the other trainer to spot me. Cheers all, thanks heaps for your support! It is appreciated.