Anxiety Attack - Cleaning out the closet.

Options
This past weekend I packed up all my fatty clothes and took them to Goodwill. This is the second time I have done this! In 2008 I lost 100 pounds and was 10 pounds away from goal weight. I got too comfortable and 20 pounds here, 20 pounds there; I put it all back on with the exception of 20 pounds. This weekend, I got rid of EVERYTHING that was too big on me and now I am having an anxiety attack and I am not sure why, maybe because I failed the last time?? Of course I keep all of my “skinny” clothes so I have lots of clothes to wear now; which is very exciting. I just don’t want to fail again. What do you say….toss out the fatty clothes or keep for the “just in case”? I know what the experts say; toss the clothes….I want to hear from personal experiences.

Replies

• niftyafterfifty
    niftyafterfifty Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    I've been getting rid of mine. I hated to let some of them go, but I don't plan to ever wear them again!
  • imalexgirl
    Options
    I have to toss them...it keeps me motivated. Otherwise I think that I can slack off, since I have the larger clothing on hand!
  • everysn0wflake
    Options
    First time posting, but I've been here for a long time.
    I say, you throw them all away!
    If you keep them just in case, you'll say to yourself "Oh, well, it's okay, I have those in case." You may slack off, and history will repeat it self.
    If you throw them all away, you'll have no other clothes, except those, and you'll want to work for them to fit perfectly!
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,121 Member
    Options
    Toss. I'm not going back there. When my pants start to get tight, I know I need to buckle down...not wear the next size up.

Also, elastic is not your friend.
  • skellyness
    skellyness Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    Chuck them to get rid of temptation to fall back on them. Having said that, I'v kept a few tee shirts but I like wearing them baggy.
  • tburnelis
    Options
    Toss them, keep focused, and don't look back.

Money is a big motivator for me (in addition to other things). If i toss them or donate them, I don't want to spend money to buy more big clothes when I have perfectly good "skinny" clothes.
  • kritik
    kritik Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Give them away!! :)
  • mownt
    mownt Posts: 9
    Options
    There is no "just in case". Remember there is a reason you started this journey to better health, stick with it and you don't have to worry about a "just in case"
  • rachelerwin
    rachelerwin Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    My husband and I cleaned out all of our "Big" clothes this weekend. I still find it hard to believe that I am not that size anymore. I found it to be a healing experience. Losing the weight has been such an emotional journey for me. I did not keep anything because I am determined to not gain the weight back. I have worked too hard to lose it. Good luck to you. You can and will be successful!
  • Francesca3162
    Francesca3162 Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    I tossed all of them. No need to have them around. I don't plan on ever going back there again!
  • jesp1216
    jesp1216 Posts: 100
    Options
    throw them out! I'm in college and my father informed me that if I gained weight again he would not be helping me to buy a new wardrobe, I get extremely depressed when I gain weight and I believe that was his way of telling me it's time to get it together. if you don't have bigger clothes to wear then you have no choice but to keep losing or maintain! there is NO going back(:
  • MrsPong
    MrsPong Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    Give them away!

I lost 40 lbs from 2010-2011. I gained back some of it last year around this time due to meds I was on, so I had no choice to buy clothes that fit...

They have been fitting fine and I just "ignored" my skinny clothes. I have been wearing the pants my mom gave me that were to big but good for TMO and they have been getting tight...along with everything else I own...

I REFUSE to buy bigger clothes, so It kinda kicked me in the butt to get into clothes that fit me and I own. When they get to big...away they willl go!
  • Marksman21
    Marksman21 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I always incur on the side of caution, keep one set for a 'just in case'. Slipping is only human nature, but you CAN avoid it again. Instead, think on what happened. To me, sounds like you eased off on your calorie intake and lifestyle once you got so close to the goal weight ... and bit by bit, indulgance put it back.

It happened to me as wel.

Don't sweat it, though, keep the spares, keep an eye on the site, and keep yourself on track. Once you hit that goal weight, just up the calories to your maintanence weight and keep on marching! You'll be fine!
  • reneelee
    reneelee Posts: 877 Member
    Options
    I can relate to the sadness you felt. I did the same thing I bagged up all my fat clothes, some with tags still on and had a good cry. Didn't understand why I was crying. I contacted my Curves and ask if they new anyone that would need the clothes and they did. I felt so much better after donating the clothes to someone else. After awhile I realize that it was the waste of money that made me cry.
  • lentigogirl
    lentigogirl Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    I'm just altering mine as I go. I'm not tossing and buying new until I get to goal weight.